Does Anyone Want 3 OZ MacBaren Dark Twist?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
The first tobacco i bought was MacBaren Dark Twist. It burnt the hell out of my mouth. I got other tobaccos and didn't have the problem anymore. Well, it's been 3 weeks since i touched the stuff, so i gave it another go. The char burnt me like fire, I decided to give it a full blown light, and the same. I hate this stuff. So if anyone wants the rest, its yours. If you want to send me something, that's your business and i like Balkans. anywho, The first address thats in my inbox can have it. All i want is the tin!!!

joshy

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2011
I really like McBaron blends, but they also light me up. It's turned into a love/hate kind of deal, lol.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
If I can be a condescending prick here for a moment, I will suggest the following: there is nothing wrong with Mac Baren tobaccos, and if one spends the time to master the smoking of them, the reward is tremendous. Not only with the enabling of enjoyment of MB blends, but with much deeper appreciation of other stuff you'll smoke.
Getting Mac Baren Mixture under control, finally learning how to smoke that "bitey crap" totally changed how I feel about the brand, about how pipes are supposed to be smoked, and what kind of enjoyment can be had from a tobacco.
If you can learn to simmer a pipe, smoke it at the edge of going out, these tobaccos reward with an incredible array of flavors. In fact, most tobaccos do. There are many more forgiving tobaccos, but my suggestion here is that they have MUCH more to offer than you are currently getting from them, and if you master difficult or bite-prone blends, then return to these tobaccos, you'll see just how much more they can give for flavor.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
If you can learn to simmer a pipe, smoke it at the edge of going out, these tobaccos reward with an incredible array of flavors. In fact, most tobaccos do.

I think you hit on something here, which I STILL haven't mastered, or for that matter, even come close to. My pipe is either lit or not. One second, it will be going, then next, nothing. Care to give me some pointers? I'd really like to enjoy Mac Baren HH Mature Virginia, but it torches the hell out of my mouth. I don't get that with many/any of the other blends I've tried from them, so I don't dismiss them outright. But that Mature VA? Whew! It's a beast.
-Jason

madhatter

Lurker
Aug 5, 2012
Sasquatch I understand and agree with your statement. While I do sip my pipe some I really like to SMOKE. I rarely smoke a bowl longer than 20 minutes before packing another. Coming from cigars and hookahs has ruined me. I don't try to burn my pipes but I have found plenty of blends that burn cool. I'm sure as time passes I will master the Zen art of an hour long session while riding the wave of lit/unlit and look forward to having the luxury of time to set aside and master the skillet required. It is fun to watch your hobby progress. Cheers!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Darn, too bad I didn't see this earlier; I have been wanting to try Dark twist.
To add to what Sasquatch said, looser packing can help with MacBaren blends too. And slow down! It's not a race.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
How moist was it? I find I need a tobacco pretty dry, or the steam from the moisture burns me.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Lots of blends burn cooler because of cut and because of sugar content, to be sure. It's a bit like eating a whole chocolate cake at once and saying "Wow, that was really a bit too rich."
lordnoble, I don't have any magic techniques - wish I did. Pack looser than you think you should, smoke slower than you think you should. Relights are not a crime.
I enjoy these sweeter tobaccos in very large pipes as well - pipes that sort of warm up for the first ten minutes and then cruise along for an hour or two at a luke-warm temperature.
And.... hell, some tobaccos just won't agree with some people, it does happen. It's just difficult for me to see someone write off one of my favorites without enjoying it the way I do.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I could not smoke any slower. I just have an adverse reaction to dark twist. I saved a couple of bowl for when I get the kahunas. I just thought this to be another chance for me to give back to the community. Grizzly, its's quit a bit dryer than a month ago. It was even harder on my mouth dry. Thanks for the advice. The baccy has been spoken for!!! Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.