Does Anyone Never Disassemble Their Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
The tenon on my Ashton is exceptionally tight, but after expansion from getting wet sometimes it's so tight I actually can't re-assemble it.

Que "we warned you" and "that's just a silly risk to take" posts. Yes I'm well aware of the risks, and that's part of my motivation for this thread.
The trouble is I hate to wait 24 hours before cleaning my pipe, mostly because I want to control the smell but leaving dottle in there is certainly not going to be any good for the flavour either.

Which makes me wonder if it's reasonable to just never disassemble it?

The only problem I can see is the empty space in the shank with the stem in place. Has anyone tried filling it to make the airway one continuous passage? (maybe using an o-ring or a custom fit piece of acrylic?)
Is there any way to get this done in one cleaning or do you all clean once after smoking and then a second time the next day to get the space in the shank?
(I guess I should add that right now my routine is to disassembe after smoking and wait at least 24 hours before reassembling, but common advice is -never- disassemble immediately after smoking.)

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
My last pipe of the day is usually right before bed. Not two hours before- right before. So, instead of taking it apart to clean it- risking an ill-fitting stem the next smoke, I scrape out the dottle, and run no less than both sides of three pipe cleaners through the stem, and shank. The last one I leave in over-night, and I'll clean that space in the shank during my Sunday pipe cleaning time.

I break mine down and clean immediately after each smoke. But, I am a tempt the gods, and defy the myth sort of guy, shaking my fists to the sky. So far, no issues with any of my pipes after years of doing this. Maybe it takes ten or so years to start to make the stem not fit.
However, I know of guys who never take their pipes apart. I would imagine they stink, but they guys smell so bad that it's hard to tell what is pipe funk and what is guy funk. Just kidding, but...
Anyways, if you don't want to break your pipe down, I don't think that the sky will fall. But, if you want to give your tenon a good cleansing occasionally, you can put the pipe in the freezer over night and it will come apart easier.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Sounds like the tenon is too tight generally on the pipe. Might need to take a hair off the tenon. Freezer method works though. I have a Dunhill in the freezer right now.

crusher47

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2014
I never disassemble if I don't have to. I've had a shank crack on me once already, hope to never make that mistake again. I will always run 1 or 2 pipe cleaners through the pipe after every smoke.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I only take mine apart if I absolutely have to and only after they have been cooling and drying for a week or more. However I make sure that my pipes will pass a cleaner through and through so I don't have to take them apart.

Aug 14, 2012
I rarely take the stem off. The pipe has to be bad tasting for me to take it apart & clean with alcohol.

briarguys

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2013
TN
Like others have said, the freezer method works fine. I have used it on a resto dunhill that had the same problem.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I am in the leave the pipes together camp, unless the pipe has been drilled for a filter system. Those pipes are disassembled and cleaned after every smoke. Outside of that, I only disassemble after 10 - 15 smokes, or when taste turns sour, for a through cleaning.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Over time the tenon will accumulate a coating. Some bit polish applied to it will remove that and generally make disassembly much less risky. I restore many estate pipes and if the bit resists movement even when the pipe is cool then it likely there is buildup on it (brownish ting resembling oxidation). When a pipe is warn both the bit and the shank have expanded as the result of the heat but when a pipe is cool the bit should be easily extracted. If not then the tenon should be cleaned. BUT one should never use force to get it to move. Here the freezer trick works almost without fail.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Every pipe I own gets a tenon sanding w/ about 600 grit auto sandpaper, to the point that it slides in nice and without fear of cracking. Its permanent too, none of this freezer stuff.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I like use bee wax to tenon for not only loose stem but tight stem too.

Pipe shank must clean now and then due to various reason like tar,smell....

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I have always disassembled mine at one time or another but only when there is a need.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I disassemble my pipes after every smoke, just out of habit. My first couple of pipes wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner, so I could either take them apart or not clean them...
My girlfriends grandfather on the other hand, I don't think ever cleans his pipes. Smoked the same two pipes in rotation all day, every day. St Bruno flake. The most cleaning I've ever seen is using the spike of a Czech Tool town the mouthpiece! No pipe cleaners, no scraping out the bowl, let alone reaming. Tap out the ash from one pipe, rub out a flake for the next one.
A shame really - one nice billiard, and a lovely Brebbia bulldog/Rhodesian.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
If one has a filter pipe, an incredible amount of gunk builds up in the enlarged tenon joint. These stems also tend to be acrylic and have a fair amount of give, so after allowing to cool, it is bordering on compulsary to dissassemble and clean. For traditional pipes with a stable fit, the residue has little chance to build up, so it is perfectly fine to leave them fully assembled for many months, if not years. Assuming the pipe itself smokes drily and one is not a clencher, any build up of tar and/or dottle will be dealt with by using a cleaner and possibly a shank-brush dipped into alcohol every few tens of smokes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Only take mine apart once a year for a salt and alcohol cleaning. Other than that, I run a bristle cleaner through them after each smoke. No foul smells or tastes here.

Status
Not open for further replies.