Does Anyone Mix Tobacco Preperations In The Same Bowl?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Hello. It's been a dog's life since I posted here. I have kept up my lurking duties, but now find myself in my yard enjoying a bowl after having tried a little experiment.

I love S.G. FVF, but have always had a hell of a time getting and keeping it lit. I tried most methods, fold and stuff, cube cutting and rubbing it out fully to mixed results.

I know that drying is key with this particular blend and I have smoked it in varying states. I have found that too dry can be as awful as too wet.

While going through some jars I have laying around with various blends I either need to finish off or toss I found two flakes of FVF that had been sitting for a couple of years.

I realize that I might be experiencing age and the fact that the flake was in a perfect state of hydration, but I took half the flake and cube cut it and packed that first in the bowl and the other half of the flake rubbed out into rough ribbons. I placed the dusty left overs over the top and very lightly tamped.

This is perhaps the best bowl I have ever had of FVF from top to bottom.

So has anyone tried this with another blend?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The closest I have ever come to this is parfaiting a ribbon-cut tobacco with one that is a prepped flake, i.e. Dark Strong Ky over Carter Hall.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I mix Prince Albert and Carter Hall. I've also mixed C&D Byzantium with Dunhill Baby's Bottom. Right now, I'm smoking a mix of C&D Epiphany and Da Vinci.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Seem like many Forums members mix blends, either from thrift to use up tobacco, or to experiment with flavors. Most of us have a few favorite mixes (not blends since there's no aging or pressure). I'd say at least every dozen bowls or so involves a little mixing, and some are completely intentional. Va and burley in equal parts with a dusting of Cavendish is usually a good one, with many variations. I just mix a pipe bowl full or two at a time.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I am sorry I think I didn't explain my experiment well enough. I didn't mean does anyone mix different blends in the same pipe. I see that is a popular thing to do.

What I meant was do you take, a single flake and prepare it in two different ways and mix that in a bowl. For example rub half a flake out and cube cut the other half and mix the rubbed out tobacco and the the cube cut pieces in the same bowls.
---Jim

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
With my 403 (slices), that just sorta ... happens. I can't keep em whole for more than a few package openings. Kinda nice, though. I never get the slices in just right, so I use the frayed up stuff to fill the spaces.
As for flakes, yep. I've mixed cubed with rubbed out with folded.
It's all good.
The only time I've purposely mixed the same tobacco in two presentations in the same, though, is exactly what was mentioned (other times, just bored or desperate).
I used overly dry crumbles of flake that had been opened a long, long time that I didn't want to throw away and didn't want to bother rehydrating. I laid the brittle, crumbly flake (it just went to tiny pieces) beneath fleible flake from a freshly opened tin that I thought was tarry yet. I thought, hey, might help each other out here. Let's see.
I think it worked out fine (but wasn't really a scientific comparison, so might easily be filtering this through some heavy bias of expectation) -- and I'll do it again if I have too-moist tobacco I don't want to wait for and dried out stuff not worth fussing with otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.