Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Does Anyone Here Primarily Smoke Only a Few Blends?

(59 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Does anyone here primarily smoke only a few blends in their normal rotation?

Lately, I have found myself smoking almost entirely GLP Telegraph Hill. I have stopped smoking my normal 12 blend rotation of English, Balkan, and dark-fired blends, a straight Virginia, and a maple aromatic. This got me thinking: I really enjoy the simplicity and rhythmic nature of pipe smoking. When smoking the same blend day after day, you know what to expect in terms of burn rate and flavors, which, in turn, gives you the chance to enjoy the slight nuances of smoking the same blend in different pipes. I think that I am going to trim down my cellar and only smoke GLP Telegraph Hill and Dunhill Flake. If my taste change, so be it.

Posted 6 months ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, but... Telegraph Hill is a favorite of mine, but I haven't had it in years. There are just way too many fantastic blends out there to get stuck in a rut with just one or two blends.

Michael
    Posted 6 months ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

thedbs999

Login to Send PM

For me right now yes to your question. Iam so new to pipe smoking I cant really tell the difference between tobaccos. Iam just trying to get down what I call the mechanics of loading a bowl , packing and keeping it burning.

Dan

Posted 6 months ago #
  4. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Right now I smoke Granger 80% of the time

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 6 months ago #
  5. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I used to be a 2 to 3 blend guy. Was that way for years and it was satisfying as all get out. Nowadays I have a much wider variety of blends that I enjoy smoking. But I'll often smoke only one blend for several days, or a week, then switch to something else. It's a rare day that I smoke more than one blend in the course of a day.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 6 months ago #
  6. wolflarsen

wolflarsen

Login to Send PM

Interesting … your story is almost identical to mine. I used to smoke a zillion different blends and naturally ended up at a point where I smoke Telegraph Hill almost all the time. When I'm not smoking TH I smoke Quiet Nights. I'm not opposed to other blends and fully expect that I'll get back into smoking them eventually, but for now TH and QN are my thing.

Posted 6 months ago #
  7. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke relatively little, average maybe a bowl a day, so I have a hard time really "remembering" blend flavours. having said that, I've stuck to 4 blends for about the last year.

Mac Baren Golden Extra
    Mac Baren Vanilla Cream (loose cut)
    Hearth & Home Butternut Burley
    Hearth & Home Trout Stream

Yup...I am a blatant aromatic smoker

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 6 months ago #
  8. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have roughly three blends that I smoke all the time, and which would completely satisfy me if they were all I could smoke from now on. But I have a revolving door of one or two additional blends that I smoke for the novelty.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 6 months ago #
  9. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My answer is no. I like to mix it up. I'll compare it to sweets. I'm not going to treat myself to just a chocolate chip cookie or a peanut butter cookie or an oatmeal raisin cookie. I want to mix it up. Occasionally I want a lemon bar, a blueberry muffin or a brownie...

It's the variety of the different blends that makes it more enjoyable for me. If I didn't try other blends I never would of discovered St. Bruno Flake, SG Bothy Flake and GH Ennerdale. Which are new blends to me that I enjoy.

Posted 6 months ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me, if I smoke the same Virginia blend all day, my tongue gets sore and taxed, leaving me unable to smoke for a while. But, if I switch between blends all day, I can constantly have a pipe lit without ever getting sore.

Posted 6 months ago #
  11. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I maintain a short rotation of 4 or 5 blends, but switch-out certain blends on a regular basis; so, the short rotation seems to evolve over the month(s).

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 6 months ago #
  12. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I have about 60 blends cellared, but I don't constantly rotate through all of them. I'll hit the McCrainie's or McClelland Reds about once a year, and that's what I'll smoke for a week or two before moving on to something else that I'll smoke for a week or two. Stonehaven I'll smoke every three to four months for a day or two. I'm not smoking nearly as much as I used to do, maybe 2 bowls a day, and compared to many other pipe smokers, that's a lot. Also, I give it all a rest for a couple of weeks every year. Occasionally I'll smoke several blends in a day. Right now I'm smoking a tin of RO Perique Series GP-11. Last week it was St Bruno. It's just a matter of what I feel like smoking.

Posted 6 months ago #
  13. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a couple bigger jars of regulars and a tub of LL Ready-Rubbed within reach always, then I'll pop a tin of something to throw into the mix and smoke it til it's gone before moving on to something else. Once in a while I get a wild hair and have a one day fling with an oddball.

Tim
    Posted 6 months ago #
  14. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

My answer is sort of. I'm still a newish piper, so I'm still trying new things, but I regularly smoke Chelsea Morning.

Posted 6 months ago #
  15. pipehunter

pipehunter

Login to Send PM

I never gave it much thought until recently when I decided to take a look so that I could tailor any buying to suit. Three blends make up about 75-80% of consumption, split fairly evenly. The rest is a total hodgepodge.

The easiest way for me to visualize it is as four "slots." One each for my three favorite blends and then a wild card. This makes buying/planning quite simple.

Posted 6 months ago #
  16. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I usually stick to what I enjoy. These six blends constantly deliver satisfying bowls. I don't enjoy surprises, good or bad, so I smoke what I know. The demise of a blend sometimes forces me to find something new.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The old time pipe smokers often were one-brand smokers and smoking something else regularly was a big life change. Ashdigger smokes Granger 80% of time. My dad, 1917 to 2006, smoked Granger and only Granger for most of 50 years, with a few years off for King Edward cigars only, and quit cold turkey at age 65, and lived until age 89 and six months. Technically, Granger is an aromatic, but you have acute taste if you can tell from smoking it. He quit smoking when he took a job at a campus that was smoking restrictive.

Posted 6 months ago #
  18. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

I do, but due to money restrictions.

I'd have a more comprehensive tobacco rotation if I had more money available.

But I'd never be a connoisseur though, I think.

Posted 6 months ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I love these responses. We all have different preferences. I fully believe that mine will change over time.

Posted 6 months ago #
  20. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I've smoked nothing but Erinmore Plug this week so I could likely smoke just a couple of blends though I have dozens in my closet.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 6 months ago #
  21. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like variety with a couple dozen open tins, and I’m having a lot fun blending my own mixtures. However, 4 or 5 blends make up 75% of my smoking

Posted 6 months ago #
  22. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I have 3 or 4 go to blends and I usually mix in 3 or 4 new blends in my rotation.

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 6 months ago #
  23. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

I have a couple of "daily bread" blends that I smoke, and then I throw one of any number of blends on occasion just to mix things up. Primarily, I smoke a lot of Chatham Manor and Lane Limited Ready Rubbed. These are great burley blends that are good for all-day, no special occasion smokes. If the weather is particularly inclement, which is rare here in San Diego county, and I smoke indoors, I'll smoke RLP-6 or 1Q for the sake of my wife (or at least mix a little into Chatham Manor).

Posted 6 months ago #
  24. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

I've gone through phases with that. Like appetite fatigue, I get tobacco fatigue and like to try out new blends.

Posted 6 months ago #
  25. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to be a one blend pipe smoker, but after being introduced to the World Wide Web, joining various pipe forums and finding online tobacconists, I'm all over the place. I'm trying to get back to maybe 3 blends only, but it's hard to do.

Posted 6 months ago #
  26. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke a blend for a few days then move to another. Some days I'll have a few different blends in the same day but that is mostly during the summer months

Posted 6 months ago #
  27. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think I'd be able to be a one-blend smoker. Heck, a few weeks ago I had a bowl of HLG and really enjoyed it, so the next day I loaded the pipe again with the same blend... just... not... really... the same thing. It was kinda meh.

Sorry, but I like my variety.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 6 months ago #
  28. anglocatholicpiper

anglocatholicpiper

Login to Send PM

I do a minor rotation. For example, I’ve been working hard on MacBaren’s HH Burley and HH Virginia almost exclusively the last two weeks. Enjoying the focus on these two great tobaccos (in my new to me Ashdigger Dunhill- Thanks again!). Into that mix I’ve been smoking CD Opening Night (I much prefer the HH Va).

By the way, Ash, I’d love to read why you’ve settled into Granger.

Posted 6 months ago #
  29. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Only a couple blends? That would be boring right???

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 6 months ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Only a couple blends? That would be boring right???

Idk, some people enjoy monogamy: others do not. . __.

Posted 6 months ago #
  31. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No. I have favorites, but no.

Posted 6 months ago #
  32. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm pretty much satisfied If I'm able to rotate between say 3-4 blend at a time, due to some difficulties In getting various blends here (and there this price point factor also)I'm opting to keep it steady and because of the aforementioned circumstances I do keep minimal rotation, better no shots in the dark at this point, all my souring is from abroad.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 6 months ago #
  33. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

I like this thread. I'm trying to stick to stick to just a few blends at a time. I'm still in the sampling stage of my piping. I'm also trying to spend less money so I need to work through stuff I have not even tried.

Posted 6 months ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

bullet08

Login to Send PM

as new to pipe smoking, i should try as many blends as possible. then i opened a tin of an english blend. ashton royalty. i'm kinda stuck on this blend for two weeks. tried va/per i used to enjoy, but that felt like missing something.

Posted 6 months ago #
  35. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not yet.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  36. scpipes

scpipes

Login to Send PM

I've been stuck on Peterson's University Flake, and a local B&M shop's cavendish blend called Kerrisdale Cav.

Those really are the only two I smoke these days

- - A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. - -
    Posted 6 months ago #
  37. bosmer

bosmer

Login to Send PM

I had a very large rotation when I first started, and over the years the circle of blends got smaller and smaller(while my cellar got bigger and bigger) as I dialed in my tastes.
    Recently I have been on a Va/per kick and have been primarily smoking Telegraph Hill.

Posted 6 months ago #
  38. tabakpfeife

tabakpfeife

Login to Send PM

Good question, and interesting to me for another reason. I smoked pipes for years before there was an internet, or forums, or groups dedicated to pipe smoking. I had no idea what, or how, anybody else handled their pipes. I didn't know how to clean them properly, or repair them, or what blends had the best reviews. I, along with I suspect a lot of guys my age, just sort of figured it out myself, or used information I could glean from guys that ran the B & M s I frequented. These online sites changed everything for me- lots of useful information. So, it is interesting to read how other guys work a tobacco rotation. Myself, I have 2-3 blends I smoke; usually VA in the morning (my current favorite is Opening Night or Old Gowrie: not a straight VA but close enough), then move to a VAPER in the afternoon: currently Dunbar or Telegraph Hill or Park Square, and occasionally, usually in colder weather, a mild Balkan in the evening: Exotique or Harkness Tower are favorites. I smoke one tin at a time rotating through these types of blends. When I finish a tin, I'll open something else and rotate it in the same order. I love to try new blends, and I find myself obsessing over tobacco reviews trying to figure out what I would like, but usually stick to these basic categories.

Posted 6 months ago #
  39. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

For me. What I smoke.

Captain Earls Mystic.....
    Arango
    Stoykebe family reserve
    Carter Hall

Posted 6 months ago #
  40. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a wide variety, but 90% of the time I smoke Royal Yacht, Hyde Park or Rich Dark Honeydew.

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 6 months ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidintexas

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am only able to smoke maybe 2-3 bowls a week. So as a result I am all over the place as far as what blend I will smoke on any particular day. Sometimes my mind will fixate on a certain blend and I will smoke that one for one bowl. Then as a result of reading this forum, I will be reminded of a blend I had opened and liked so will smoke that one the next time. Rarely will it be the same blend in the same week. I just have too many tins open and not remembering in any detail what it tasted like from the last time, will revisit a blend that I may have last smoked 3 months ago. I keep telling myself that I am going to just smoke one blend till I finish off the tin, and really get to know that blend for a month, but I find myself wanting to revisit something else when the time comes.

Posted 6 months ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

tabakpfeife.. Don't discount what the guys at the B&M have to say, they have to be knowledgeable or go out of business and had an interest in it to invest their $$, or they could have opened a Starbucks or blacksmith shop.
    " If it's on the internet, it must be true" Abraham Lincoln.
    That said, there is a wealth of info available here!

Posted 6 months ago #
  43. charf

charf

Login to Send PM

This morning I did a stocktake. 15 varied blends in mason jars and 2 un-opened tins. This is because I have only been piping for 4 months and am trying out a spread of tobaccos. However I have discovered I really enjoy GL Pease’s Chelsea Morning as an early morning smoke, so I am ordering more of that. I think as I dial in on what I really like I will cellar more of those and smoke those more regularly. I will probably smoke up the blends that are just OK and then try others every now and then. Otherwise TAD will drive me crazy. If I re-wrote this it could read the same way and finish with PAD.

Posted 6 months ago #
  44. mrgunnar177

mrgunnar177

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wish I could just settle for two or three blends it would make my cellaring simple. Telegraph hill was surprisingly excellent.

You can buy education, but wisdom is a gift from God.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  45. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Although I have a wide variety of blends cellared, I mainly smoke my 3 or 4 "base" blends. The others get smoked for variety on occasion. PS Luxury Twist Flake, F&T Cut Blended Plug, F&T Vintage, & C&D Crooner are my "go to" blends. All somewhat similar taste profiles, though each different enough to keep me interested.

Tim

Posted 6 months ago #
  46. dadosaurusrex

dadosaurusrex

Login to Send PM

I mainly smoke Bayou Morning. I throw in other stuff occasionally, but Bayou Morning is pretty much my all day smoke.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    -Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 6 months ago #
  47. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on bayou morning. Solid vaper. I have a fair bit cellared. I can’t wait to taste in in a few years. I think it will smooth out very nicely.

Posted 6 months ago #
  48. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

Long ago, about 40 years, I decided that I didn’t care for the prepackaged blends that much and started smoking only the pipe shop blends.
    I’d try a bit of this ‘n’ that, but I always came back to Tinderbox’s Black Russian blend. A lot of them have closed or moved away, so when I find one in my travels, I tend to stock up.

Posted 6 months ago #
  49. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does Anyone Here Primarily Smoke Only a Few Blends?
    Wait... you can do that?

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 6 months ago #
  50. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wait... you can do that?

LOL

Posted 6 months ago #
  51. smudgersmissingleg

smudgersmissingleg

Login to Send PM

While I have about 40 blends in rotation 80% of the time I end up choosing either Full Virginia Plug, St James Plug, Kendal Plug, Revor Plug, Ennerdale Flake or Germains Brown Flake & Rich Dark Flake and find that I keep returning to the same handful of tobaccos time & again.
    Chris.

Posted 6 months ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

kimbiker

Login to Send PM

Usually the Lakelands loose stuff, No. 7 flake, Bosun, Best brown flake, Grasmere etc. Do like the aromas too.

Posted 6 months ago #
  53. markthelad

markthelad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I usually only smoke 4 blends regularly.
    1. Louisiana Perique Flake (used to be Elizabethan Mixture until it's demise).
    2. St. Bruno RR
    3. Warhorse
    4. PS Sambucca cut with Prince Albert 50/50.

"I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself."
    Johnny Carson
    Posted 6 months ago #
  54. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 41 blends in my cellar. My regular rotation is somewhere around 20-30 blends. There are times when I forget about a blend and don't smoke it for a year or more.

Harris
    Posted 6 months ago #
  55. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Though I have a lot of stuff opened/jarred/immediately accessible at any given time, I'll get on a kick once in a while where I'll smoke the same thing, or only a couple or three things, for days at a time. Sometimes weeks. Does that count?

Early last fall, during a period where life was sending me an inordinate amount of distraction, I smoked nothing but Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic and Captain Black Copper for almost a month.

Posted 6 months ago #
  56. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

I've got about 7 I rotate but lately I only want to smoke Plum Pudding and Margate.

Non Serviam
    Posted 6 months ago #
  57. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

I have found myself settling into a handful of specific blends...

• Escudo
    • Plum Pudding Special Reserve
    • Boswell's Imperial English
    • Carter Hall

Carter Hall has become a regular, morning commute pipe for me with my coffee.

Posted 6 months ago #
  58. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like variety. I did however, just this past week, apply some discipline. I must had close to 50 tins open. I put around 40 away in 2 gallon zip locks and rubbermaid containers to help keep them moist for awhile. Forcing myself to empty out some tins and make my smoke area less cluttered.

Posted 6 months ago #
  59. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

I dont really have a set rotation yet im still searching the only thing that i have i smoke regularly is va flake 507c got few pounds on sale but i have been trying to atleast get 4 blends each month to try last month was gh&co. Ropes which are great il have a big rotation if i keep liking stuff at this rate

"I'm a kind person, I'm kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you will remember me for." - Al Capone
    Posted 6 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pipeanddrum, mossdoug, pianopuffer, brooklynpiper, krizzose, frankrem, dontbeaburleyman, yuda, trouttimes, alaskanpiper, jpmcwjr, prndl