PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
never heard of him. are you sure thats the right username? because when I looked of e-bay no user came up under that name.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
melvin, it's too late for them kind of questions. :crazy:
No, I bought vintage tins, but I don't remember which ones they were or if I've opened any of them yet. I'm sure the tins themselves were in good shape, because I would have noticed.

Oct 12, 2014
Sorry for the confusion :)
Something doesnt smell right here (not with you! the ebay seller) and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it.
I'm sure the tins were in fine condition..its the contents I am curious about

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Something in particular? They've been selling tins for a couple of years at least and I've never heard of anyone else having problems.
I also just noticed that they have free shipping -- not sure why because I think most people focus on the main price rather than sale price plus shipping.

Oct 12, 2014
" They've been selling tins for a couple of years at least"
Yup, maybe under multiple accounts it appears????...they sure seem to have a lot of old tins..and I'm not talking about old as in early 00's pease "collectable tins"
**not accusing anyone or any ebay user of anything** just doing some research

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
He's been selling for years. Lots of old blends, especially the Sullivan Powell stuff. Seems to list one each of Special Mixture and Gentleman's Mixture every week. I never doubted it. It seems pretty plausible that a person could have 50 each of those laying around, and rather than flood the market, release them slowly.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I've bought a few tins from them. Shipped fast, packaged well. Tobacco was as advertised. I bought a tin of 1994 Mclellend's CC, haven't opened it yet, not sure I will soon. I sometimes wonder just how many tins he's sitting on..... I watch them every week.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I believe that they are in possession of some of the James B. Russell NOS (new old stock). There was a sale of their assets some time after the firm folded. It's where a lot of the vintage BS is from. I have no other details.

Oct 12, 2014
Ok. Was thinking about maybe bidding and just got weirded out by the seemingly never ending supply of old stuff. User name search linked to an ebay suspended account forum followed up by the creation of another user name. These appear to be the same user but maybe they aren't. bedinarose and bedinarose2. The bedinarose2 account was created at around the same time that someone called bedinarose made an account on the ebay suspention forum. Both users seem to sell sealed pipe tobacco tins, and bedinarose, if it ever was suspended, is a currently active seller, as is bedinarose2. Who knows what this is all about? Most likely just ebay being asshats about a tin sale as they've been known to do.
Again, not alleging any wrong doing here! Just that it would be quite easy to buy empty old tins on ebay, fill them with a similar blend, re seal them and off they go. Buyer gets the tin, leaves positive feedback, most likely keeps the tin around for a special occasion and by the time its open its too late. While this can't be done easily with all tins it sure could with a lot of others..
Because ebay rules say you are buying the tin, NOT the contents, there would be no recourse. If the tin is only advertised as "sealed" rather then **unopened** and sealed then the seller is again in full compliance with the rules even if they refilled them.
We all know we're buying the contents and before bidding on any of these I wanted to be safe. If there was ever an issue I figured someone around here would have heard something.
Reading those Jamesupshall/ashton/astley threads makes one weary..

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Because ebay rules say you are buying the tin, NOT the contents, there would be no recourse. If the tin is only advertised as "sealed" rather then **unopened** and sealed then the seller is again in full compliance with the rules even if they refilled them.
This has occurred to me as well.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
If they weren't selling quality stuff, we would have heard about it long before now. I've had a few tins from them with out any problems. 8)

Oct 12, 2014
"pre-buyers remorse and worrying yourself into not letting yourself bid because deep down inside you just don't want to spend the money"
Maybe, lord knows last thing I need is more tobacco. Just ask my wife! :)
"If they weren't selling quality stuff, we would have heard about it long before now."
This is why I asked here..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't do ebay myself, for various reasons, but if you do order from this person, try two or three small orders

to test the waters. It sounds like they are reliable, but I wouldn't go all in until I'd tried him/her.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Bedinarose has 380 selling transactions without a single neutral or negative. Seems to have a lot of repeat business. I think Bedinarose is female (I don't know for sure and it is quite unimportant).
If you want to sell tobacco on eBay you have to say "the value is in the packaging not the contents" or they won't list it.

Status
Not open for further replies.