Does anyone have information on the Rothschilds Brand of Pipe Tobaccos?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alhaji

Lurker
Oct 2, 2015
I recently purchased a tin of Rothschilds, The Connoisseur's Blend Luxury Smoking Mixture dated to 2001 from pipestud.com. I have not smoked it yet and can't find any information on it anywhere. Can anyone please help?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Don't they control the Bilderberger group, the Federal Reserve, the big 6 media cabal and the Windsors? Just kidding. Don't believe everything you read on the internet: if the herd thinks it's a conspiracy, it clearly exists to cover another conspiracy.

May 31, 2012
I had a dream the other night that Briar Books Press released a new book called The Pipestud Universal Handbook of Pipe Tobacco:

A Pertinent and Entertaining Guide For the Curious Connoisseur
, which included, with index, an alphabetical compilation of all his grand tobacco reviews, along with a picture gallery of all those wonderful and rare tobacco tins that have passed through his gracious hands over all his long years involved with our wonderful hobby.
I would buy a copy if it was printed!

:!:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Death Metal, I was wondering when that would get brought up, You know, The Rothschilds are also the Abrahams of the modern Jewish State., some are so very gullible.
Alhaji let us know how it smokes. Do a review!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The herd always wants a scapegoat, which allows the real problem to go unsolved.
For example, people wonder why cigarettes are popular. When you can't smoke in the office, pipes and cigars are out, so you must smoke cigarettes because you can't smoke a pipe or cigar on a fifteen-minute break and anything else will disadvantage your fellow employees or lengthen your day.
It reminds me of the 9/11 conspiracies. How hard is to believe that a government of 2 million employees simply dropped the ball? And that Al-Qaeda for once put together a highly competent attack based on our wimpy response to hijackings?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Warren, that's very true.
At the same time, conspiracies are often scapegoats, which lets the real problem run free.
I think of the horrors of the guillotine and gulag as one thing; they were designed to maintain power.
The Holocaust, the PMRC, the drug war, or even the current PC jihad? Blaming an identifiable Other for the failures of the system.
(Note: I did not include "the Red scare" of the 1950s as I believe it was a reaction to the pervasive penetration of UK intelligence services by homegrown double agents. Another topic, alas.)
I'd rather -- and I think you agree, on some level -- just fix what's actually broken.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Conspiracy: a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful. I don't believe much of the official facts presented by the government in most events.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Is that a conspiracy?
Given power, a group of humans will do what is necessary to maintain it.
If public opinion disallows the truth, they kind of have to lie -- or at least simplify and sweeten the truth, like a fast-food "hamburger"

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Ah. The dividing line for me is that conspiracies explain secret motivations, where others look at evident self-interest. Is that a conspiracy, now? ;)

alhaji

Lurker
Oct 2, 2015
Will sure do Perdurabo. I will do a review once I 'taste' it. Other than "conspiracy theories" does anyone have a word on the tobacco? I have a feeling it is a straight Virginia but may be wrong. Does Pipestud have an idea?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Now that I'm finally done reading about mrlowercase's recent dream, I'll try to respond to alhaji's question.
Rothchild's Luxury Smoking Mixture was actually sort of a "boutique" tobacco sold only by by Harrod's of London, England. I've never found any tins dated past the late 1980s. I do see old tins come through my shop from time to time and they are taken quickly by the old timers who say the blend has a lot of terrific Syrian Latakia and well aged Virginia in it. Never having personally smoked it, I just don't know. I do know that Harrod's did offer several blends with their house name attached to them. About 10-15 years ago I worked a trade with a gentleman who had a bunch of them and I absolutely loved them all. I don't see the Harrod's come through often either, but when they do, they sure leave the shop in a hurry, too.

May 31, 2012
Now that I'm finally done reading about mrlowercase's recent dream...
:idea:

Your response here gives credence that such a tome should in fact be published,

with good 'ol glue 'n paper 'n ink for the greying set, which could a little later be made into an "e-book" for the whippersnappers! :)
There's a couple of Harrod's tobacco reviews over at TR,

guess who shows up there?

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand/102/harrods

:puffy:
Can't seem to find Rothchild on TR though.
Does anyone know who made the Harrod's house brands?

I seem to remember reading something about Dunhill being mentioned somewhere, but perhaps I'm misremembering. :?:
Could it perhaps have been by McConnell?
Murray's?
Probably it doesn't really matter anyway,

the tobacco will speak for itself.
Harrod's is a British institution,

a long history they have.
I have a reprint edition of their 1929 catalogue, selections only though, sadly not reproduced in whole,

real bonafide vintage copies usually go for rather tidy sums.
Here's a Harrod's catalogue page circa 1895, sadly not a proper scan, but you can see all the different blends available:

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/History/History-idx?type=turn&id=History.VictorianShopping&entity=History.VictorianShopping.p0163&isize=text&q1=havana
:
...and this little excerpt is pretty neat, the article itself is certainly worth a read in whole...
While us pipe afficionados should be grouped with the micro-breweries and sustainable niche-producers, we have unfortunately been saddled with the taxes and legislation of the global scale abusers. Most pipe tobaccos are now produced in small pockets between international taxation and specific national demand (Denmark, for example). The only market large enough to sustain a full cavalcade of pipes and tobacco being, of course, the land mass of the US where there are still enough pipe enthusiasts to sustain an industry. In the UK, we are, for the most part, a minority group of non-inhalers, connoisseurs, tasters and thinkers, and have been confused with users, abusers and the thoughtless inhalers.
Our tobacco emporia have gone.
In London, in my recent lifetime’s experience, Inderwick’s (Carnaby Street) Smith’s (Charing Cross Rd.) Shervington’s (Holborn) pipe and tobacco experts all of more than a century’s experience, have expired, as have retail pipemakers Astley and Dunhill. The small boutiques within Harrods and Selfridges are reduced to minimal booths between designer labels, mostly serving Cubans to monied Americans.
http://www.eacarey.co.uk/2013/09/tobacconist/
:
alhaji,

congratulations on the glorious rare tobacco,

and please do post about your impressions.
Enjoy well!
Jolly smoggo!

May 31, 2012
*update*
I just noticed that there actually is a proper scan there,

in pdf!

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/History/History-idx?type=turn&id=History.VictorianShopping&entity=History.VictorianShopping.p0163&isize=text&q1=havana
Exciting stuff!
The pages also have pipes,

including examples of my beloved allbriar style!
GBD!
Am I a total geek or what?
Does anyone else get excited by this stuff?
If I had not been bouncing around online trying to find out who have might possibly produced the Harrod's tobacco,

I would have probably never found it.
Yet another reason why I love this forum so,

as I am often prompted to investigate things that weren't really on my radar.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
The Fed Reserve was the real conspiracy, the poor Rothschilds got shoved on the bus. Altough now that I think about it, the Rothachilds were behind the Bank of England and the BOE was the model for the Cartel known as the Fed Reserve. Damn, I'm doing it. Connecting the dots, ...................,.............................................".................................................................. 8O

May 31, 2012
ColIW6h.png

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The search for truth is primarily a process of elimination. It's typically much easier to determine what is not true than it is to determine what is true.
"Realism that is limited to the end of one's nose is more dangerous than the most insane fantasticality, because it's blind."-- Dostoevsky, from his novel The Adolescent

Status
Not open for further replies.