Does Anyone Have Examples of Good Tobacco Legislation?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
dragonslayer's thread about moving to Hawaii got me to thinking. Has there been any examples of anti-tobacco laws that have been either reversed or are positive for our hobby? I guess one could argue that the Pro Dope laws in WA and CO state are positive but I guess thats debatable. I tend to think that laws are like putting together a big 1,000 piece puzzle. Most every piece of legislature is designed to limit something else or a freedom. Eventually, you end up with a complete puzzle and you have no freedoms left. Please everyone, this is not a political statement/question because at least in the USA, both sides LOVE passing laws. I am more concerned with laws that affect we Lovers of the Leaf.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
To be perfectly honest, I personally prefer going out to live music events, restaurants, and bars in Colorado now that the public indoor smoking ban is in effect. There were a couple of restaurants that I stopped going to because their smoke abatement was terrible, and I really, really had to want to see a band badly to be willing to go to a couple of the smaller venues (again, bad ventilation). Conversely, one of our favorite restaurants used to have a smoking section in the back, with really good ventilation - unless you were seated right next to a smoking table, you'd never guess people were smoking in there... which told me that it could be done, but some businesses didn't want to go to the expense of installing the necessary equipment.
There were dire warnings of local bars that would go under, and loss of tax revenue - but as it turns out, a lot of the dives still exist (and I go to more of them now), the music halls still pack in crowds (and the smokers hang out under the awnings), and the only restaurant that I know of that probably went under as a result was one that almost knocked me over with the aroma of stale cigarettes when I entered - you couldn't smell the bacon over the smoke, which I took as a bad sign.
Are there problems with the regulation as it stands? Probably - I haven't run into anything serious, personally, but I'm still a n00b. I only smoke at my own house (outside) or at a B&M/lounge. Colorado's state law (as opposed to some more restrictive local laws, say, in Boulder) seems to have been a reasonably good balance, on the whole. And I think the recent state and local laws regarding marijuana legalization show that there's room for some compromise on both sides.
I reserve the right, of course, to change my mind if I hear more data beyond just my own experiences. :D

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
PA, we're the only state without tobacco crushing laws and taxes. Being a commonwealth and strong tobacco lobby has a lot to do with it. Companies are shipping from here to beat the taxes, which sticks me with 6% but that's ok. There's nothing even in the books coming up for any votes either, so we should be good for another couple years. Hawaii is by far the worst, and I plan on dual living there. But I have friends there that will make it cool. Can you imagine buying a million plus condo, any unit with a shared wall or 20' within another home and can (and will) get huge fines for smoking in your own home!
We also have laws that allow for bars with a ratio of more booze than food to have a smoking waver. My wife works in one and business jumped when they did the whole "no public place law".
Craig

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Not legislation, but article on case law: Federal judge blocks anti-smoking images required on tobacco products
As for secondhand smoke in the air, OSHA has stated outright that:
"Field studies of environmental tobacco smoke indicate that under normal conditions, the components in tobacco smoke are diluted below existing Permissible Exposure Levels (PELS.) as referenced in the Air Contaminant Standard (29 CFR 1910.1000)...It would be very rare to find a workplace with so much smoking that any individual PEL would be exceeded."

-Letter From Greg Watchman, Acting Ass't Sec'y, OSHA, To Leroy J Pletten, PHD, July 8, 1997
Officials in Indiana county repeal smoking ban
For more, Google "repeal smoking ban"

Status
Not open for further replies.