PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonghig

Lurker
Jun 21, 2014
So, I was at a yard sale today and picked up a few pipes, including this one: http://imgur.com/a/xt1hS
Does anybody have any idea what it is? I've never seen anything like it (bear in mind the fact that I'm new to pipes).

Is it something special or a "MADEINCHINA"?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
It's a cavalier that could have been made either to sell or as a project by someone with some skill. It looks, to me, that the pieces might be table or chair legs that have been re-purposed. The legs, the well done but simplified face sculpts and the materials and finish don't suggest a professional pipe maker with good access to briar and quality tools. Rather it seems the work of someone who has become skilled at working with what they have and knows how to make the best of it. This is my 100% amateur opinion based on having done another type of wood crafting and having shopped for and bought all sorts of randomness in my life. Some of the more knowledgeable pipers may have better information for you though on the specifics. Either way, it's a cool looking pipe and an interesting find. Can you identify the wood or stem material? Does it seem like it's in working condition? It's hard to tell with no view of the bowl or mortise/tenon.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I see these on ebay very frequently. The sellers often claim origins in the Black Forest of Germany or even Canadian Eskimo tribes. I suspect they are souvenir pipes made in Italy.
Here's one of many up for bids: Two Headed Pipe

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it would be pure chance if such a pipe smoked well. All of the effort here is in having something

clever to look at. I doubt much attention has been devoted to the airway, or balancing the airway with the

size of the bowl, etc. So, if it is bought to hang on the wall, it is what it is. (Not on my wall, thank you.)

But as a pipe to smoke, I wouldn't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.