PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Just wondering if anyone else watches nwpipesmoker reviews on youtube.I like his delivery and I suppose I have alot of spare time on my hands. They seem entertaining and informative..without being too cerebral. Am I alone in this?

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
I did not know about him, but he reminds me of Burt Reynolds. Haha, I might have to watch his channel now.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
That's a new one to me. I guess I'll have to look him up.

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
i'll check it out. I like the father son combo on youtube...i think they're called pipephreaks. my first pipe youtube video was Kel. I watched a lot of how to videos that were all awesome intros for me. really got me excited to go out and buy my first everything.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
ill check out the father son pair later paddy sounds interesting ...i received a great deal of pipe smoking tips from my dad so I know how that goes. plus it will be cool to see the generational difference on youtube. your vids are on my list now too.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
In my experience, tobacco review videos are just extemporaneous hemming and hawing that miss major items of interest

that a well prepared written review usually provides. If someone wants me to devote 5 minutes of my life to their performance

they damn well better prepare and organize the information they want to convey. I really don't want to waste my time watching

them puff on a pipe while they search for words, or worse, stream of consciousness impressions.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
But ummmmmmmm I just tried this stuff................... It's Philip Stokerbean or some thing...............and ummmmmm it is like ummmmm kinda good tasting. and..........

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
I just spent the last 15 minutes auditioning some "nwpipesmoker" videos I pulled up with Google. I'm sure there are good intentions...but...

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Me neither. I've looked at quite a few pipe related videos over the years and they almost all have the same problem...they're boring. Just because pipe smoking is a "laid back" activity doesn't mean that a video about it has to be. The last thing I want is to set and watch is some guy lazily puffing his pipe while he munmbles pointless dribble about his philosophy of life and the spiritual side of pipe smoking.
What I would be interested in seeing is "information". How about teaching us something of value. And, for heaven's sake, do it in a somewhat entertaining way. No one cares how mellow you are... We all know something we can share and none of us knows everything. If you're inclined to do a video, great! But do one that has some value to the viewer and please, don't act like you're about to fall asleep or your viewers will.

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
I agree. They were interesting for me before the first couple weeks before I started. They are long winded and mellow. But seriously check out the pipephreaks. The father has a great personality and has some very interesting perspective and a funny outspoken lively way of delivering it.

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
I've seen the guy and watched a couple of videos but they get old and like cortez said, he's not prepared.
Someone that I think does a good job and enjoy is dubinthedam He inspired me to try flakes and for that I'm most greatful.

arko

Lurker
Sep 22, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I used to run a channel over at youtube (pipepoet), but recently I pulled my videos, (partly) because I felt they didn't have enough focus -- something that struck me when the old tube suddenly became very crowded with equally unfocused presentations.
I like the community though, and I really want to get back in the game. But with more disciplined and inspired videos this time around. I've considered using my written reviews from my pipesmagazine blog as 'scripts' when doing review videos, which should make things more 'sharp' ;)

hfdpipe

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2010
CT
I like Nwsmoker, his vids are like ambient music, kinda lo-fi and they hit the spot when you want to chill. Onemansmoke is a guy who makes some interesting vids, from tobacco farms, pipeshops to pipemakers. I dig his passion for tobacco.

For pure info I agree with menckenite, Dub is the best out there. Very professional I really enjoyed his interview with Tom Palmer from Peterson pipes.

I kinda like a mix of all kinds of vids, if everyone did the same structured review I would bore of that as well, seems like everyone brings a little some different to the table.
One thing I learned recently watching vids is apparently Pipes are big with folks who dress like Judas Priest, what the hell is that about? :lol:

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Thanks for the link to dubinthedam menchkenite, I enjoyed his chatter.
In the title "The pouch", he talked about pipe tobaccos available in a pouch,"my homage to the humble drug store pouch" then moved on to snuff and finaly a short talk about Peterson pipes and the gold band.

Status
Not open for further replies.