Does anyone else plan out their pipe collection?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Thinking about and for the most part I have my purchases and collection of pipes planned out over the next few years. I talk with 4 different British carvers and pretty much every detail and when I get the pipes are planned. Unless iit is something that I find extraordinary or simply a deal I can't refuse, I don't vary from the list.
So does anyone plan out their collection ? I only have 5 pipes on hand and one on the way and all but the Dunhill 5102 were planned.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My planning consists of only buying a pipe which catches my eye in a shop. I never plan a purchase and might buy a pipe every couple of years or so. I neither amass nor collect. I have no idea when I might come across something I like.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've maintained a "Holy Grail" list of makers & shapes I want to add. It grew to 20 pipes, and now all but three shapes have been acquired.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Since I've gone through the newbie frenzy of buying every pipe I saw, I now have a somewhat more rational idea of pipe shapes and form that I like so in that respect, I plan out what I would like to purchase or acquire. I do have a list of what I would like to collect, but I have a feeling it will take considerable time.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
Very cool story pipestud!
I have no method to the madness yet, but having a coherent collection sounds like a great idea. :lol:
There is no rhyme, nor reason for the pipes I've bought, other than I liked how they looked and happened to have some money at the time.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Well when I got back into pipe smoking in Dec of 2014 after a 4 year break I decided to work on a 7 day set of British Bent Bulldogs. I was going to focus on Dunhill 5108, Ashton, Ferndown, and Upshall. Unfortunately the 5108s are no longer made and I can't get an Upshall made like I want, so I had to look at other makers and discovered Chris Askwith and Ian Walker and built a relationship with them as well as Les Wood. With this I have decided to work on a 7 day set of bent bulldogs in a group 5 size as well as bent billiards in a group 5. The t will take me many years to complete these sets as funds are pretty tight and even direct from the artist, they are dnot cheap.I currently have 2 Ferndown bulldogs with one on the way, one Askwith bulldog, and one Northern Briars bulldog. For Christmas I got a Dunhi Shell 5102 and my first bent billiard for my collection.
Les Wood and I have a list of pipes we will work on over the next few years as does Chris Askwith when I can afford them. Had something lined up with Jimmy Craig and Ian Walker but they might have fallen in the cracks. Maybe being broke I will appreciate the journey and focused of a specific collection. It stops me from just buying pipes and gives my collection structure.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've for the most part stopped purchasing pipes, reducing my intake to a single commission. That counts as planning I suppose.

Jan 27, 2015
I didn't at first, now I do. I'm hoping in the future to work my way around the world, but as an American, there's a whirlwind in pipe making artistry happening under my nose. I can't ignore it. My plan is to get one (or more) from all the best, talented, and/or coveted old guard carvers of the US. There aren't any specific plans laid out, foreign-born carvers making pipes in the US are okay and actually refreshing, they can inject new life into the American pipe scene. I may spend decades focusing on just American carvers, I may get bored and go outside of the US. I have owned plenty of pipes from around the world, but now that I've made a plan, I'm trying to stick with it.
This also means, for me, buying less pipes. Less commissions. More hunting, getting better connections, buying what I really want, timeless pieces, pipes I won't regret in 3 months time. I'm very guilty of this, but lesson learned. Quality over quantity.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I do not have something so bourgeois as a pipe collection. My pipe collective, on the other hand, is directed by strict Five Year Plans and the occasional purge.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Since I tend to stumble onto pipes(estates) without much thought, its very random. I like the thrill of the hunt and not knowing what the find may be. Its a surprise every time.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's really interesting to read how different people approach this, and reading Pipestud's story was a treat. Those Barling's don't come cheap.
My "plan" is to achieve a motley assortment of smoking implements generally known as pipes and in that vein, I've succeeded beyond my wildest dreams. That I've built within that "plan" a concentration of Barlings is more testament to the OCD tendencies within me, than to any particular design. I have about 72 of them, which is a bit surprising. I have no idea how that happened

Status
Not open for further replies.