Does Anyone Else Get Tired Of Seeing This?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Quite often I see pipes labeled on Ebay as "Unsmoked!!!" Sometimes with less exclamation points and sometimes with more. And then there's a photo of the chamber that shows that clearly it was indeed smoked. Now maybe I'm wrong... and correct me if I am... but I'm pretty sure that's a smoked chamber in the link that follows, with a thin layer of cake and not a precarb or anything like that.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ben-Wade-Royal-Grain-Unsmoked-Estate-pipe-/322077197980?hash=item4afd4c069c:g:7OIAAOSwq19XCWCa
Why does this bother me so much? Because as often as I see this, people must think pipe smokers are brainless... or blind... or both.

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
I've all ways been bothered when people use too many punctuation marks
Does this bother me???

Yes!!!!

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
It drives me a little bonkers that people do it. Some I think just can't tell. Others are lying outright. Some I think may just mean it hasn't been smoked by them personally and cross their fingers behind their backs when they fib. It's sad English is a foreign language to many English speaking people. That pipe could just have a bowl coating, I can't tell for sure from the one pic of the bowl.
Wasn't it Scotty from Star Trek who said:

"Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, you go to the ER."

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
It's not just with pipes, I've found, but with pretty much anything a person's looking to sell. To them, little to moderate use equals "unused." And, yes, it's pretty annoying.
We get people coming into our gun shop all the time with guns they're looking to sell. They claim they're unfired, but then I see a layer of schmutz on the feed ramp. I ask them if they're sure this is unfired, and they say, "Yeah. I mean, well, I shot it once."
I say, "Once? How many rounds did you put through it?"
"Oh, maybe fifty or a hundred."
"So, what you really mean is that it's 'slightly used'."
"Oh, yeah, sorry. That's what I meant."

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
"Caveat emptor" is actually a concept several thousand years old... probly older if we could all read/write hieroglyphics or cuneiform.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
All my pipes are "gently smoked" because I do not abuse them when sitting and relaxing.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I cannot tell from those pics if it is used or not. It could be a pre carbed bowl that is just missing a tiny spot. If you are unsure then pass on the pipe, if you want to take a shot, you can always return it. Message the seller and let them know that if you find it to be used, you will ship it back at his cost.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Interesting. Hard to tell if that's tar or bowl coating. Here's another "unsmoked"!!!! pipe from the same seller:
z6ekw7Y.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On ebay it's more surprising when something is described accurately. It's like a slip-up.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I sent him an email asking for clarification. He insists strenuously that the pipe is un-smoked.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
From what is seen on the photo, it might have been smoked a few times. Photography can be very deceiving sometimes unfortunately.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
I have seen a few brand new Ben Wades in person, and google helps on other comparisons..that doesn't look like bowl coating to me. Especially the OP listing, that dark mark in the one section (top of bowl, left from the shank) looks like maybe a flame touched there. As said before though, 'caveat emptor' and all that good stuff.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
This post really struck a nerve with me as I was just involved in such a transaction. Two highly collectible pipes, unsmoked, with boxes according to the listing.
The photos were not that great so I could confirm with certainty, but they were from a very respected seller (who I have no intention of naming), so I bit. When the pipes arrived one of the pipes was clearly smoked and had significant chatter. The boxes, well they came with boxes all right - just not the boxes that matched the pipes.
I was really ticked at the time, but even in the condition they are in I probably would have paid the price, so I just dropped it - live and learn, even with known sellers.
First world problems for sure, but annoying just the same.

Jan 8, 2013
I sent him an email asking for clarification. He insists strenuously that the pipe is un-smoked.
Looking at the photo of the chamber and rim, I just find that hard to believe. In the chamber, that looks more like cake buildup than a precarb, and along the rim there are dark spots that certainly look like rim char to me.
Pitchfork, the pipe by the same seller in your photo... it's a little iffy. I'm not sure what to think on that one.
But I truly think the first pipe has definitely been smoked. Where it looks a little bumpy in the chamber... that's cake, not carb. I think the seller is being dishonest, and I'll be adding to my list of not to buy from. It's a shame too, as I like the shape of the pipe, and might have considered it, despite the dings and dents, if I thought the seller was being honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.