PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I have a specific pipe in which I like to smoke the occasional heavily cased aromatic, followed later by several smokes of a straightforward, unflavored burley blend. It's like an intentional ghosting that results in what an aromatic (IMHO) should be. I have no set formula, but it's roughly one aromatic bowl to every 3-6 burley bowls.
Am I alone in utilizing this 'technique'?
It's also a good way to get utility out of heavily cased aromatics that most smokers might otherwise throw away. The residual ghosting adds some nice, subtle flavors to the subsequent burley smokes without the bite, steam, heat, and overwhelming goopiness of many otherwise pleasant smelling aromatics.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Sothron, wish I had thought of it. I'm going to try it in a Carey Magic Inch with their Classic Black. I'll follow it with 4Noggins Down By The River.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
FWIW, one of my favorites is Gatlinburlier's Mountain Mall Mix followed by several bowls of Angler's Dream. 1Q also adds delight to subsequent bowls of MB London Burley. The dreaded Stanwell Melange has also added nuances to London Burley and Golden Extra. The key is getting through the ghosting bowl ;) Needless to say, I dedicate a cob or inexpensive briar to such experimentation.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Sothron
What a novel idea!
I have an old Peterson from 35 years ago I used for aros and I'm going to try this
Allan

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I stumbled upon this when I broke my Roma in with Gatlinburlier's Cumberland (an aro/English crossover) then smoked nightcap in it, and found it much sweeter than usual. Now all my latakia blends smoked in my Roma are slightly sweet. I didn't do it on purpose though.

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
hodirty mentioned an aro/eglish crossover, what would be the best examples of such a blend? I've never heard of that before.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Professional blenders should sit up and take notice. Aromatics are too heavily flavored and cloying.

But when just a touch is present, smokers seem to enjoy it. My big complaint, however, may never be

addressed: most aros have a plastic-like or chemical taste -- especially in the finish.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
There are a couple of aromatics that leave me with that plasticky taste, but I try to stay away from those. Here lately, I have been cutting the more pungent stuff with some 5100 or a Latakia blend like Tinderbox Sherlock's choice. The results have been rather pleasant.

As far a ghosting a pipe goes, I cannot say that I have ever had one ghost to the extent that I tasted previous blends in it. My older pipes were mostly used for Edward's Buccaneer which is much like Lane 1Q (might be the same for all I know) and a blend called Goedewaagen, which I found is McClelland Tastemaster. These pipes still smoke those blends excellently, but also do well with more natural blends. I lean toward thinner cake, reaming them periodically, which might be why they haven't overly ghosted.

Status
Not open for further replies.