Does Any Pipemaker Make "Normal" Sized Gourd Calabash Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have the fleeting sense of having seen more medium/Group 4 size gourd calabash pipes, but maybe that is my imagination. I like the shape but not the gigantic gourd pipes, so I have a briar version, a Peterson, that I like. It is pure surmise on my part, but maybe smaller gourd pipes aren't made much because smaller gourds have thinner shells and are therefore harder to cut to the purpose and not durable. The big gourd pipes are wonderful to see but way more unwieldy than a churchwarden. It's a lot of pipe even for just reading a book or working on a device.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Google "smaller gourd calabash pipes." There seem to be some sites related to those, and images. I didn't shop them, but it does appear they are a "thing."

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I'm not entirely sure what you'd consider to be too large, but as far as a calabash pipe, I've been looking at the BriarWorks Calabash line. I think they look really nice and have a wide selection of finishes and stem colors to choose from. Smoking pipes did a video review of them some time ago, and you can see Shane Ireland provide a good review. Maybe that would give you some sort of idea of the size of them as pictures of just the pipe, never really give me the best impression of the size.
Shane Ireland BriarWorks Calabash Pipe Review

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I've only seen one really (relatively) small one, which I have. It's old, and needs a new stem. But some of the Pioneer ones are not gigantic.

Status
Not open for further replies.