PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am posting this in the hopes that someone here may find it useful and save alot of cash. We have 2 very large nuteared male indoor cats, 4 yrs old. The one male has a history with us of urinary blockages. This generally means a 2-5 night stay at the Vets along with Catheder, anitbiotics etc, totally $500.00. This has happened 3 times in 4 yrs, dispite a special diet that cost 70.00 per 14kg bag, and lasts approx 1 month. We, and the Vet agreed that a 4th blockage would result in putting my baby (humphrey) down. Well, last week it started again. Small amounts of Urine only, then no Urine at all with much pain. The time frame here is anywhere from 24hrs to 3 days before death. This happened on a Sunday night at 10:15pm. No Vet was open! We called the Emergency Service and made arrangements to take him in at 8:00 am to have him put down. Around Midnight, feeling helpless, as he was in much pain and crying, I searched the Net for answers for relieving his pain. I stumbled on a home remedy on Urinary Blockage for Male Felines. 1/4 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar(Mothers') with 1.5 tsp of water mixed with 250mg of Cranberry Extract and 1 tsp of water. I put this mess in a syringe and squirted it down his throat, much to his dismay. Bottom line folks, It is now a week later, no visit to the Vet (we did call the Vet and inform of our method and success), and Humphrey is just fine as can be. He was urinating 7hrs later and within another 12 hrs was back to normal. We now administer a lesser dose of this horrible mixture every second day. And he still hates it!

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Oh I should have mentioned. This problem we learned later can be avoided if you feed male cats wet food (canned). It seems its the dry cat food that doesn't work well with male cats.

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
That's great! To think that you were only hours away from putting your feline friend down and with a last bit of hope you found a great remedy that should keep him around with you for good while longer. It would seem that with the regular treatment it should hopefully prevent the blockage from coming back. Good job saving your friend!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
@Barker
Oh I should have mentioned. This problem we learned later can be avoided if you feed male cats wet food (canned). It seems its the dry cat food that doesn't work well with male cats.
We researched the crap out of it and also talked to the Vet. It seems as tho wet food will help but will not ensure against blockages for habitual blockers. We have them on a special diet with a decrystalization in it and it is still not enough. The Vinegar helps to increast the PH level, thereby helping to disolve crystals. The Cranberry extract helps to coat the Ureathra and prevent infection.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
GREAT NEWS FISHER!!! I am so happy to hear your having good luck with your cat, I HATE having my pets sick, we have had rabbits, fish, turtles, a cat, fish, and now I just got a second puppy literally yesterday, It is so hard to watch them in pain, I cant hardly stand crate training my little charlie. It really does make me happy to hear that someone really got lucky and got to keep their friend

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya for sure all. These "Boys", as we call them are like children to us. Our kids are moved out long ago so the cats took their place. They each have their own personallity and habits. One actually plays "Fetch" like a dog, with a milk jug ring. You toss it and he goes and brings it back and drops it at your feet to toss again. Too important to us to lose for sure! The Vet gets a kick out of their names, one is called Humphrey and the other is Bogart. It is Humpy and Bo for short

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
1088-81665M.jpg

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
we've put down two beloved cats in the last 6 months, and our dog is suffering from a form of degenerative myelopathy (a type of auto-immune nerve disease) which is slowly paralyzing him inch by inch, so we understand the pain, guilt fear and financial distress associated with dealing with sick animals. so i hesitate to throw this point out, but...why wasn't your vet familiar with this treatment/remedy??are there major downside risks to it?? probably not, considering the formula. are vets, like our own medical physicians, lost so deeply in the forest of arcane medical myopia that they can no longer see the simple alternatives??

so glad your cat is better, back from the brink. and i hope he'll be yours to love for many more years!!!

jr/john

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya mate, that is the reason, if it doesn't involve surgery, medical treatments, etc. they do not wish to acknowledge it. Only Medical Science is a proven theory. Home remedies are not considered a cure. (No money in it for them).

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I guess I'm lucky our vet actually has one vet who practices homeopathy. I'm sort of dismayed that a vet would consider putting down a 4 year old cat because of a urinary tract blockage. Glad to here its working out.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love a pet victory! Good thinking. We also solved a near death issue with our West Highland Terrier and a skin issue. Our vet(s) were clueless, but we got on the Westie Rescue website and found an easy answer (changed foods!). She was near death when we figured it out, but made a full recovery, living until she was 16. She's buried in our garden right in front of me. RIP Maggie, a great dog. I'm glad there are no RIP's in your post!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I'm in the same boat with my oldest cat, ns--the ACV is a helpful maintenance and emergency treatment, but do be careful about overdoing it--no more than 10-20cc/day. I'd definitely recommend seeking out a vet that takes a holistic approach; I'm fortunate to have a great one that is also a certified herbalist and goes into other things like physical therapy (keep them active!), etcetera. Have you talked about the possibility of the perineal urethrostomy as an option? I'm hoping to avoid that, but whatever keeps him around a few more years will be worth it, should it come to that.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Good to hear. I'm an animal lover and know how hard it is to put a buddy down. Love that a home remedy fixed it. I will smoke a big bowl of Rattrays Red Rapparee for Humphrey tonight.

shawn

Jan 1, 2012
Fish that is just awesome! Big animal lover here!! Happy your baby is still here.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
Great news and I glad to hear a win against the vets.
My harlequin broke her leg new years eve 2010, 2 surgeries and (i wont tell you how many) thousand dollars, we're finally back to normal.....2 years old an definitely part of the family

40406_1267542988571_1829717276_546052_6966474_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.