PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

panagiotis

Lurker
Sep 17, 2014
So I ve recently seen "The Men who built America" documentary and I was facinated by it. Loved the narrative and the portrayals of Carnegie, Vanderbilt etc. And since I m a student of economics in Greece I d like to know if you can suggest me similar themed documentaries. Thanks in advance people :)

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
panagiotis:
If you like history, then may I recommend Ken Burns' "The Civil War." It's a well done combination of period photographs and narrations by a number of well known persons, and with historical commentary by Shelby Foote, Edward Bearss, Barbara Fields, and Stephen Oates.
I hope that you find this suggestion to be helpful.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've seen these recently:

25 Feet from Stardom - awesome doc, highlights the unsung back up singers

Charles Bradley - a soul singer

Good Old Freda - The Beatles fan club secretary's story

Living in the Material World - George Harrison's story

Beware Mr. Baker - Ginger Baker story
Here's Rotten Tomatoes list of the top 100 Doc's:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/top_100_documentary_movies/?category=8

Mar 30, 2014
wv
The Soviet story.

I'm a WWII buff and thought I had seen it all, until this documentary. It's one of most powerful documentaries I've ever seen. It's a must watch!

jparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 22, 2014
@ anthony - I agree that doc bored the crap outta me... Netflix has been slacking pretty bad on good docs.

bloodwood

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2014
Puyallup, WA
I'm with hunter on this one panagoist.
Ken Burns ANYTHING is worth your viewing attention.

From Prohibition to Baseball, Burns has a true knack in producing easily digested informative documentaries.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I got the impression that the OP was looking for docs on the subject of economics. Burns' " The Civil War" tended to get a bit fanciful in parts for my taste. Beautifully done, just a little too much editorializing. His stuff is easy to watch, I will readily concede that, very professional.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Below is part 1 of (imo) an excellent documentary that traces the history and evolution of propaganda in the modern world, and how it is used by government and corporations to manipulate the masses.
The Century Of The Self Part 1: Happiness Machines
http://vimeo.com/85948693

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Federal Reserve: Century of enslavement
Another jaw dropping documentary. I wish I could create money out of thin air like these guys do.

panagiotis

Lurker
Sep 17, 2014
I m not really into alien documentaries cause I dont believe they ever visited earth etc.I like history...Actually I love history and that's why I wat to learn history from other countries like USA(Although I already know some stuff) or Japan etc. Right now I m interested in economical/social documentaries. I like watching a "battle of brains" between people(Hence the economics) and/or I like to learn about how people act in societies or how propaganda and manipulation works.
I ll defenately watch your suggestions since I think many of them are really interesting. :)
Thanks again people and if you ahve any more suggestions please post them :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Spike Jones "Four Little Girls" about the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church bombing in Birmingham, Alabama,

in 1963. A powerful subject done with incredible restraint. The interviewer(s) never appear on screen. Much

of the film is devoted to close-ups of family members of the girls remembering them and the bombing and

the aftermath. The horror story aspect is there, but muted enough to let other human dimensions emerge.

There are a few famous talking heads including Walter Cronkite and Jesse Jackson, but most of the time is

devoted to non-famous people telling their own stories. Spike Jones is not much of a talker when I've seen

him interviewed on TV, so I was struck by the intensity and intelligence of his direction and production on this

film.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
"Fire and Ice - The Winter War of Finland and Russia" is really good.
The whole thing is on YouTube, as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMoTsnKNV48&feature=share

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Bloodwood, I love your graphic!

Highly enjoyed his Civil War. Ken Woods does not make bad docs.If you have not viewed it you need to catch his series on American Baseball.

Fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.