PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I've had the same family doctor for fifteen years.I trust him when it comes to medical stuff.I asked him this week if smoking a pipe would cause me any medical problems.He just smiled and said..NO

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Wow. You guys are lucky! Even tobac from abroad!
All my dr. has told me is my lungs are clear. I haven't told him I've smoked one way or another for over 40 years.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Well what I alway say is don't snear at death, he may snear back. Instead invite him in for a nice cup of tea, He is much more friendly that way.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
My doc just told me that, contrary to what some people believe, smoking does not contribute to high blood pressure. He just shrugged when I told hime about my pipes and cigars. He was more concerned about my intake of adult beverages. I told him that I know more old drunks than I do old doctors.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Had the same doc for 20+ years. Her view is that a pipe or cigar or four a week has little to no health impact and has salutary effects in terms of relaxation etc. She cautions against holding a pipe or cigar in your mought all the time, as that increases exposure vis-a-vis mouth cancer issues. I don't do either.
Her view -- not shared with her medical colleagues -- is that the decrease in smoking has coincided with an increase in obesity -- the health effects of which are decidedly as dangerous. NOT that she advocates cigarette smoking.
There is certainly a major difference between cigar/pipe smoking and inhaling cigarette smoke.

rick777

Lurker
Jun 16, 2011
I also have a very good doctor.

He asked the usual question about smoking.

The result was a brief discussion about it, and he also held to the view that pipe smoking is by no means harmful.

Even when I told him I smoked 5-8 bowls a day. It turns out he is one of those doc's that actually read things like Health journals and surgeon general reports....

(My dentist did tell me to be sure and brush 2x a day, gingivitis. My dentist smokes ~4 cuban cigars a day.)
I used to live in a city where you were not even allowed to smoke outside while walking down a public sidewalk. (city bylaw) Canada is gradually adopting some very draconian smoking laws and policies.
Can you believe, the 2010 surgeon generals report (US) actually says that pipe tobacco and cigarettes contain the exact same chemicals! I have been to a cigarette factory, a cigar factory, and others. This is a flat out lie.... Gotta make you wonder.

taoist

Lurker
Jun 23, 2011
My buddy, Dr. Reid (now deceased at 81) used to bring me pipe tobacco back from England...he was a Balkan 759 fan back in the day....same advice about paying attention to your teeth...I always did anyway.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
wow... that's some neat stuff guys. I would have never thought a doc would say that. Hooray for honesty!

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I think the only issue with pipe smoking would be the teeth and gums, the lung issue would be nothing because we don't inhale the smoke.

Just like the other post, brushing 2x a day is sufficient, I try and brush a extra time if I smoke a lot in one day

drumbumb83

Might Stick Around
Nov 23, 2015
Doctors don't care as much as your insurance company. Once your insurance company knows you have used nicotine in any form some time in your life they will charge you more money.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I'm afraid that Ryan is right; once your smoking habit (ANY type of smoke) finds its way into the electronic medical record you are more likely to find your premiums increase. I do NOT tell my doctor I smoke a pipe; don't lie mind you, just don't offer it up. My dentist suspects that I smoke and chides me about the amount of staining he has to dig through every 6 months or so.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
My Doctor says he doesn't mind me smoking a pipe as long as I don't inhale. He does advise me to watch my mouth out after each bowl. As to insurance companies....they want you to smoke because they can charge you higher premiums.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Insurance companies sole basis of existence is to make money. They will use any minor excuse to increase your premiums. My doctor knows I smoke a pipe and an occasional cigar. He doesn't say anything because he also knows what my blood pressure runs (122/66 last visit) and has seen the results of all my blood work and from the stress test I went through 2 years ago.
The only thing he tells me is that he wishes his healthy patients were as healthy as I am.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
When George Burns was in his 90s he said about how his doctor once told him smoking cigars and chasing younger women would kill him, then he goes "I'd love to tell him he was wrong but he's been dead for 30 years".

Status
Not open for further replies.