PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Well I guess the forward thinking thing to do would be to change The Doctor from male to female. http://www.nationalreview.com/article/449760/doctor-who-jodie-whittaker-takes-over-role

My argument would be to have Romana come back with her own show, and let DW ride into the sunset.
I had lost interest in the show after The Tenth Doctor, the writing was lackluster and began to change where the classic show left off. Davies knew his Whovian lore. Moffat didn't know his ass from a whole in the ground. But that Sherlock show was bad ass. Guess a Jane Bond will be the next social foray. Some may like it, some may not, it will all stand on its own merit.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They did change the Master to a woman, so I guess it figures. Just wish they would follow up on the Doctor's Daughter story.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
The Master as a women worked because it would be the thing the Master would do. The actress really pulled it off. The new Doctor may be great, but after 12 regenerations it's contrived. Tons of things they could do Chasing Embers, but that would call for originality and risk.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
The Doctor's Daughter, er clone, uh wife, is going to do an audio series of that character and it will be DW canon. Too bad it won't be on screen..... yet (?!?)

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Here's my unpopular opinion; the Daleks should be consigned to the rubbish-heap of history, never to grace our humble television sets again. New material, or stop the show. I haven't watched any of Peter Capaldi's episodes. Which is unfortunate, because I quite liked him in Skins. Anyway, it's Game of Thrones night, so that's where I'm headed! :worship:

paddypiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Look on the bright side Steven Moffat is out now so maybe the show will pick up again even with a female Doctor (she's actually a really great actress). The show seemed to be alright after he took over but slowly went downhill.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
Perdrabo, couldn't agree more as to the quality decline after the tenth doctor. Thought I was alone in the universe with that observation. Who would have thought validation would come from a pipe-centric Forum?
Plugugly

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Moffat's best work was Blink featuring the Weeping Angels. I feel the same about show quality after Tennant and Davies left, however, I came to appreciate Matt Smith's energy and approach to the character. I loved the Ponds and River Song. I wish Capaldi had better material to work with on the show, but feel he did very well after his first shaky season. Unfortunately, by the time I come to appreciate a new Doctor, they are replaced. Tom Baker was my Doctor when I was a kid and I really think Eccleston and Tennant nailed it.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Im a huge second Doctor fan, and yes Eccleston and Tennant nailed it.
Matt Smith and Capaldi did their best with what they had. Good luck to the new Doctor, but I'm out on this one. It's all in the ratings.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
The new stores are rubbish, also Sherlock Holmes is the same. The old Doctor Who stories were much better.

The writers and producers need a wake up call.

Don't know how kids understand them I struggle.

Don't know why they take something good and turn it into rubbish!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The latest Doctor just didn't work for me. The new Doctor being a woman isn't going to work for me either. I'm against changing sex and race of a character just because its the politically correct thing to do.
I won't watch the new Doctor, I wouldn't watch a female Sherlock Holmes, I won't watch a female or black James Bond.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Toss up between Baker and Tennant as my favorite doctor, but they also benefited with some solid writers. Capaldi did the best with what he had to work with story wise. The franchise is becoming a bit stale so maybe a female time lord will jump start the writers a bit. I'll give it a chance but this might be a jumping the shark moment.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Dr. Who:
th

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The latest Doctor just didn't work for me. The new Doctor being a woman isn't going to work for me either. I'm against changing sex and race of a character just because its the politically correct thing to do.
Agreed completely, and also with Perdurabo that the series had dropped off recently. I am not sure if it was as easily determined as by season, but it just seemed to fade away on some of the important points about the Doctor.
However, Jodie Whittaker is a fantastic actress who was brilliant in The Assets, which I totally recommend if you like spy lore. It's about Aldrich Ames, the double in the CIA.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
If this was motivated by political correctness the new actor would likely be drawn from a pool most underrepresented in the west, i.e. Asian. They've been trying new things to keep the show fresh; female master, "old-man" Capaldi. I think these were good choices that opened the door to explore new directions. The variability of the Dr is a unique creative tool that I think the writers will be excited to make the most of. Wait and see, it could be the best leg yet.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Capaldi was a mistake that lingered far too long. I understand following Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith was no easy task but damn he was lame. I am not enamored with a female Doctor but let's give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.