Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

Do You Want More Or Fewer Pipes

(53 posts)
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a slightly zany question, but would you like more or fewer pipes than you currently own? In one sense, we all have exactly the number we want, looking forward to getting more or happy with exactly the number we have. But have you accumulated more than interest you? Or do you feel deficient and wish for a few or many more? Even though I rotate all my pipes, I probably have a third to half more than I can regularly enjoy fully, though I do like the feeling of discovering a neglected pipe that I enjoy smoking. On the other hand, it would take me a long time to decide on, say, five to get ride of, sell or donate. The question applies if you have 300 or more pipes, or three, since it is as much about your relationship with your pipes as the quantity. Would you unload some if you could? Or is it the more the merrier?

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't understand the question. I understand the concept of "more", but "unload"? Content, contentious, contempt, contemptuous, more, more, more.
    I don't continue to collect to "have" more pipes. I continue to keep others from getting more than me. The one with the most at the end wins. This is how life works... according to games, all games ever... except golf.

Michael
    Posted 1 week ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulfg

Login to Send PM

I am currently in exactly this position.I am trying to downsize from approximately 60 to about 25-30.I can then rotate them all within 1 month.
    I find I tend to smoke the same ones and neglect others.Hence the for sale ads here.

Posted 1 week ago #
  4. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have always focused on the tobacco so I would say maybe a few more pipes over the years.I would say I spend a few hundred on tobacco a month. Whenever I see a pipe I like over $200 I think how much tobacco I can buy and go that route. I feel pipes will always be around and will drop in price once the eventual no shipping of tobacco route happens.

Posted 1 week ago #
  5. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

I have about 40 pipes. I do not need anymore in number for my needs but will swap out some I consider not very good smokers.

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am always in the market for another Rad Davis pipe. I am also looking for other artisan pipes that fit my strict criteria. On Sunday I won an auction and it is the first pipe I have bought in well over a year.

Harris
    Posted 1 week ago #
  7. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

I have 12 pipes currently (2 more are on their way) but I always sell pipes which I don't like, get bored of or has issues. By my experience the ideal amount is around 15 pipes, it is enough for rotation, variety and it is not too many so I can use all of them almost equally. So just to answer, sometimes I want more (most of the time) and sometimes I want less. I'm trying to balance and keep the collection at around 15-20

Posted 1 week ago #
  8. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never put Descartes before the horse.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 week ago #
  9. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Compared to many, my collection is pretty modest. Still I know that I have WAY more pipes than I need, strictly speaking. So I made the decision, late last year, to stop buying pipes.

Which is why I recently bought 4 Pre-War Ben Wade Leeds era pipes, 2 Comoys DeLuxe, and A cased set of Barling pots.

I feel MUCH better now...

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 week ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of us swear off buying pipes, until we don't. Twenty were all the pipes I'd ever need, but that was years ago.

Posted 1 week ago #
  11. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 11 pipes in rotation. I have a few more that I don't smoke. Most of them just turned out not to fit my clench. I don't need more pipes, but I'm sure I'll buy some more. I'm really not very interested in them. I just want them to look appealing to me and be good smokers. I'll never end up with a large collection.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  12. prndl

prndl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here.

I once had over 30 pipes... mainly Petes, Savinellis, Stanwells, Radices and Castellos. A few health issues last year changed my ways a bit and I ended up selling all but the Castellos. With just those 4, I don't seem to be missing much.

Mind you, this doesn't mean I won't add another Castello here or there and that Pete 103 ebony spigot still speaks to me but, at this stage of my run, I seem to enjoy the simplicity of things a bit more.

Home is the sailor, home from sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  13. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have enough pipes. I might have "too many". Any pipe I purchase from here on out will be carefully vetted and stu......look squirrel.

Okay, I guess I needed one more.

Posted 1 week ago #
  14. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I need to get rid of a few more. Too much clutter and my wife won't quit buying them for me.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 week ago #
  15. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

More. More.

M

O

R

E

!!

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 week ago #
  16. jon11

jon11

Login to Send PM

100 artisan pipes was where I wanted to stop. I have 104, so I need to unload 4 pipes.

Posted 1 week ago #
  17. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

100 artisan pipes was where I wanted to stop. I have 104, so I need to unload 4 pipes.
    Or... you could go for 200. You only have 196 to go

I definitely have more than I need. But there are still so many others I wish to add to my collection. I'm afraid it will never stop.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 week ago #
  18. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's always room for one more.

Posted 1 week ago #
  19. shanez

shanez

Login to Send PM

I don't need more pipes, I don't want more pipes, I don't mean to keep buying pipes, but they're kinda like stray puppies and I'm just to weak to say no.

Posted 1 week ago #
  20. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I want neither. If I run across a pipe, which catches my eye, I might purchase it.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  21. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is this a trick question?

Don

Posted 1 week ago #
  22. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have more than enough good smokers, but if something I run across has my name on it, I'll probably snap it up. Culling is difficult for me. I also have a lot of old golf clubs and camera gear.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  23. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

I have enough pipes (I require about 35), but I want and need better pipes. I expect the process of attaining a full rotation that I'm completely satisfied with will continue until my last pipe is pried from my cold, dead hands.

Posted 1 week ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

except golf.

Isn’t the point of Golf to walk around with clubs overflowing from the cart and fanned out in a display of total dominance over your space on the course?

I will definitely agree there is some appeal in having one favorite pipe that becomes part of your persona.
    Maybe that’s a bit of a fictitious idea though and all but the sharpest people would be none the wiser even if you did have a 200 pipe rotation.

Posted 1 week ago #
  25. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

I have 7 or 8 pipes. I smoke 3 of them on a daily basis. The rest I get used sparingly.

I could use a couple of more big Savinellis. But I really don’t look forward to a big collection.

As it was mentioned above, I’m more interested in stockpiling tobacco.

Posted 1 week ago #
  26. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I spent the past year downsizing. I am down from, at one point, over 100 pipes, to 8 regular smokers and my Dad's favorite pipe which I smoke about once a year. I think 9 is my perfect number, but will end up with 11 in order to complete a 7 day set of Jones Brandies. Other than that, I am done.

Posted 1 week ago #
  27. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I wish I had less pipes honestly. I plan on ditching most of mine.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 week ago #
  28. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Meers,I can't help myself. Briars, I have some I need to get rid of, honestly about 90% of them. I just don't smoke briar very often...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 week ago #
  29. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't we all swear off buying pipes, I did and the result was I ended up with few expensive ones and selling some others of mine with lesser value,and I'm still on the lookout for one specific English estate from a now-defunct company,but my plan for the further is to concentrate more on tobacco acquisitions,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 week ago #
  30. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't like to sell pipes. When I feel the need to remove some pipes from my universe, I just grab a hammer and a brick and set about to smashing them into briar rubble. I figure that if I don't like then, no one else should have to be cursed with them like dead albatrosses.

Ohhhh, and it feels so good to just smash them down, PoW!!! shards of wood and stems flying about in chunks.

Posted 1 week ago #
  31. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smashing pipes might have its venting benefits. Usually I don't hate the pipes I trade off or give away, but I want to trade them for something I'd prefer, or give them to a worthy cause. I sure don't donate any stinkers, but only sacrifice pipes I like but can spare, and it can be pretty satisfying. The number of pipes I own always catches up with me anyway.

Posted 1 week ago #
  32. homeatsea

homeatsea

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always tell myself I don't need more as I find that with how infrequently I smoke I end up just reaching for the same 2-3 pipes each time. That said, there as so many beautiful pipes out there that I find it very hard to resist picking up a new one now and again.

-Home At Sea
    Posted 1 week ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

tkcolo

Login to Send PM

That's a bold move, Cosmic. Reminiscent of the Office Space copier smash scene. I'm having that debate right now. I have a bunch of pipes ($10-20) that look good, but I truly hate. Someone else may like them fine. I have a truly beautiful old stanwell silver military mount smooth straight grain pipe. I have done everything I can to that pipe, and I swear it must be lined with unobtanium or adamantium. Two puffs of the driest tobacco I own, and that bitch gurgles like a leaky snorkel. Truly terrible. I have 3 other bulldogs that are so cool, but they taste like the straight pipe on my 2003 dodge diesel. (If you wonder how I know what they tastes like, just stand within 50' of it when I start it cold.

I want to send all of them to the guy cleaning and sending stuff to troops, but that seems wrong to send pipes I hate. I'm afraid they will curse someone else's pipe smoking future. Someone pawned them off on me. I think they need to end with me.

On a side note, I have a $10 Jeantet that I never smoked, because I got so fed up with ebay junkers. I fired that one up finally, and holy smokes it is divine! It takes the edge off those C&D Burley flakes and makes them taste like candy. Come to think of it, my only other Jeantet does them same. Better than any other pipes have (and I have some good ones). On average, my quality $10 ebay pipes have ultimately cost me $100 a piece.

Posted 1 week ago #
  34. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Too many is never enough.

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  35. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I own 20 pipes, but only smoke 4 regularly.

Posted 1 week ago #
  36. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

Some people's view would definitely be that I have too many pipes. Those same people would probably say I have too much tobacco too and we all know that can't be true. I've tried to fight PAD many times, sometimes more successfully than my ongoing battle with TAD. If one catches my eye at a price I can't say no to though, well I guess I can always find room for just one more.

Posted 1 week ago #
  37. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a simple system. If there is a pipe that isn't being reached for and smoke, it will join others like it to be sold about twice per year. I've not quite reached the point where all my collection is smoked at least occasionally. Getting close however. I now have well more than I need but perhaps not as many as I want. Can't deny PAD, just trying to be very disciplined about what I decide to purchase. Doesn't matter if I see something I kind of like and it is a great buy on eBay for example. If I don't see myself being excited about adding it to the smoking rotation, I let it go.

Posted 1 week ago #
  38. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I swore in the first five years of pipe smoking/collecting that I didn't need more than 50 pipes. Well, that crept up over 100 in the past two years. So, you've probably noticed that in the past year, I've done a major purge, now currently down to 60. In that group, it would be tough to part with any more (the last ten were tough to let go!) But, the proceeds of those sales has gone to fund items on my MGB and several wristwatches, all of which get regular use. So, a win on all accounts, as I still have way more pipes than I can regularly enjoy (and take care of!) I tend to rotate through about 20 pipes, the rest only get very occasional use.

Having said that, since December, I've added three pipes to my personal collection...

Al

Posted 1 week ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulfg

Login to Send PM

@ssjones

At least the proceeds have gone to a good home,mine has been reinvested in a few more expensive pipes.The Asteriou from you and a couple of S Bang estates

Posted 1 week ago #
  40. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do You Want More Or Fewer Pipes?

Yes.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 week ago #
  41. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My higher end pipes tend to become personal treasures, nothing at the fishnbanjo or peck level, but some nice ones. The less expensive pipes, once they have proven out, are valued for smoking and not worth a lot in trade, so they tend to stick around too. Shop carefully, since pipes can be a long-term purchase. Mostly, don't buy more than one at a time, and therefore probably don't buy in lots. Deliberate purchases are good, for the long term.

Posted 1 week ago #
  42. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a pipe rack that holds 12 pipes. I think that is more than enough for me, I have 8 or so now. There are some that I am actively looking for, and I think once that magic number is reached I might be done.

Window shopping is much easier on the budget!

Posted 1 week ago #
  43. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I always had a hankering for an S. Bang....hmm....

Posted 1 week ago #
  44. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll share a secret. Not once have I ever sold a pipe from my collection. Nor do I plan to. My answer is always more. And I plan to smoke every single one of them.

Posted 1 week ago #
  45. troyniss

troyniss

Login to Send PM

I usually opt for more tobacco if anything. Pipes will stay around for hundreds of years. Tobacco, not so much.

Occasionally I pick up a Morgan Bones pipe when he gets some new shapes out, but they are only $40 and I can afford to buy 3-4 at a time. They make up the majority of my collection. I have about 18 of them in total. About 6 Petersons, 4 Moretti Pipes and 2 Savinellis.

I'm a sucker for stubby/nose warmer pipes so if I find one I really like I'll buy it.

I probably don't need anymore pipes at the moment though. I'm planning on just adding to my bones collection and preserving the rest in a nice cabinet.

Posted 1 week ago #
  46. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

probably don't buy in lots

Unless you're pappymac or somebody.

B

Posted 1 week ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Login to Send PM

I'm like Crash. And I don't count my pipes anymore. I'm afraid to know how many I have. And then I start to add up the cost. Then I tell myself, just don't go there. It's therapy, I say, ya, it's a good thing...

But what I have changed is that I am willing to pay more for a better quality pipe, so that has slowed me down a bit.

Buying tobacco depends on family and friends and their travel plans. Tourist season is heating up

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 1 week ago #
  48. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

I have too few of the pipes I want, and too many of those that I don’t smoke often enough! I only have about 10 pipes, but I distinctly prefer about 5 of them. I think if I had space to display them all separately, I’d be ok with them all. I want my straight Pete’s front and center, and the rest to have their own space on the side. The oddballs (Ropp vintage, Barling, Briarworks, etc.) just feel out of place right now.

“There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion”.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  49. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After buying my second Moran’s Bones Pipe I’ve hit the “just right” amount of pipes. I have no desire to add anymore to my collection. If I ever do decide to add more some will have to go out. I’ve never really been a huge pipe person, I love em and I can appreciate a fine pipe but my passion lies mostly in tobacco. When I get $500 to spend I always choose tobacco over a pipe. I figure in the long run pipes will always be readily available but I worry about the availability of quality tobacco... well, I don’t really worry anymore, I’ve been stocking up for close to a decade now and I have more than enough to see me through to the other side.

Posted 1 week ago #
  50. User has not uploaded an avatar

elpfeife

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I definitely want fewer! But I just added one to my cart at SP.

Posted 1 week ago #
  51. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fewer as in around 365+1 for the leap year.

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  52. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

Fewer is the way to go for me, I will never buy a pipe again and hope to lower the number of pipes I have.

Posted 1 week ago #
  53. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have sometimes thought I should have started out saving up for up-market pipes and bought pipes less often. However, the counterpoint to that is that i have had a good time shopping for moderately or low priced pipes slowly and selectively, and I often take pleasure in some of the pipes I've bought in the roughly $24 to $80 range that smoke about as well as any.

Posted 1 week ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pipestud, npod, elasmo, ben88, svii, redeye, jaygreen55, papipeguy, fishnbanjo, spartacus, georged, renfield