Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Do You Sometimes Feel That Your Body Becomes Tired of Too Much Nicotine?

(24 posts)
  1. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

After I smoke a couple of bowls (not necessarily heavy on nicotine), sometimes (actually it's happening quite often), I feel that I can't smoke anymore for the rest of the day or so. Unless I take a big rest.

Does this happen to you and bother you?

Any solutions?

It bothers me a lot because I want to smoke more but the overload of nicotine doesn't allow me to.

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never with a pipe. I've hurt myself pretty badly with a couple of cigars that were waaay too big for one sitting, though!

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, yeah. I forgot that you inhale pipe smoke. If you stop doing that, you could probably smoke all day long.

Posted 3 months ago #
  4. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

Oh, yeah. I forgot that you inhale pipe smoke. If you stop doing that, you could probably smoke all day long.

I constantly forget not to inhale. It's a pervasive habit...

Posted 3 months ago #
  5. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's your body's safety mechanism kicking in to save you from yourself. As vexing as it might be for getting in the way of your passion, it's best to listen to it.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 3 months ago #
  6. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do You Sometimes Feel That Your Body Becomes Tired of Too Much Nicotine?
    MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm NO!

"the weez"...
    Posted 3 months ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't understand... too much nicotine? Is that really a thing?

Michael
    Posted 3 months ago #
  8. trudger

trudger

Login to Send PM

Only stop when the caffeine shakes make it to hard to insert pipe in mouth.

Posted 3 months ago #
  9. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope, nope and nope.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 3 months ago #
  10. rdavid

Panhandler

Login to Send PM

Not long ago, I got in a few bulk blends that I ordered and of course I had to try them all. After two back to back bowls of Conniston Cut Plug, I got ran over by the nicotine freight train. Pretty much stopped me dead in the tracks for the rest of the day. This has happened to me a few times if I overdo it with the stronger blends.

I'm now smoking 6, 10, sometimes 12 bowls a day and can feel myself getting used to the nicotine but still get walloped once in awhile. Definitely puts me off the pipe for a few hours or even the rest of the day.

I do actually enjoy the feel of a mild nicotine buzz but when it hits hard and fast, not so much.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 3 months ago #
  11. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I've never noticed nicotine from a pipe.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 months ago #
  12. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Me, Yes If I smoking pipes with spacious&deep chambers,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 3 months ago #
  13. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Are you describing nicotine intoxication? It can happen ... never experienced it myself, but it can happen. And if your body tells you, stop, then I agree with Olkofri, you need to listen to it.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 3 months ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

Only from cheap cigarettes

Posted 3 months ago #
  15. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you space out the times when you smoke your pipe, it becomes easier. If you don't overdo things (whatever that means specifically for you), your body will thank you. This goes for nicotine, caffeine, sugar, alcohol, anything.

Posted 3 months ago #
  16. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

So, I guess it has to do with the pervasive habit of still sometimes inhaling medium or medium-to-strong smokes.

When I inhaled very mild smokes, this didn't happen.

I will try to do what I can to deal with this harmful habit.

Posted 3 months ago #
  17. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

I constantly forget not to inhale. It's a pervasive habit...

Have something sweet (with sugar) to drink with your bowls to also help offset that.

Ultimately, if you're sucking down smoke and inhaling like a cigarette smoker, you're gonna have a bad time.

Posted 3 months ago #
  18. luigi

luigi

Login to Send PM

I think it's normal to not be able or to have hard time to smoke several bowls in a row, specially when loaded with stronger blends. I usually smoke 2-3 bowls a day, if I were a clencher I would probably smoke more. I don't enjoy smoking any more once I a get a decent dose of nicotine, sometimes it happens even after the first third of the bowl.
    I would strongly recommend you to consider your inhaling habit, you really aren't doing any good to yourself. I can imagine though how persistent it can be but don't give up, the sooner you quit it the longer you will be able to puff happily.

Posted 3 months ago #
  19. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Machado, despite your history with cigarettes, it seems you are somewhat or quite sensitive to nicotine. First, pipe smoke isn't meant to be inhaled. You can do whatever you want, but inhaling will probably do you no favors. Don't smoke any more than you enjoy. If that means a bowl a day, or every other, or every week, I'd do that. No law against moderation.

Posted 3 months ago #
  20. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

Thanks Luigi!

And MSO,

Machado, despite your history with cigarettes, it seems you are somewhat or quite sensitive to nicotine. First, pipe smoke isn't meant to be inhaled. You can do whatever you want, but inhaling will probably do you no favors. Don't smoke any more than you enjoy. If that means a bowl a day, or every other, or every week, I'd do that. No law against moderation.

There's some truth in that. I'm not as tolerant as I thought. I thought that because I inhaled cigars and nothing happened... I still don't understand that.

Pipe smoke seems much stronger than cigar smoke to me.

Posted 3 months ago #
  21. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many people develop quite a tolerance to nicotine, or have it innately, but you can also trigger a hypersensitivity to nicotine and many many other substances, so if you are feeling more sensitive than you used to be, probably best to back off. Pipe smoking is for enjoyment, so do what is enjoyable, and only that.

Posted 3 months ago #
  22. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's more nicotine in pipe tobacco than in a cigarette. Another reason why it's normally emphatically recommended not to inhale pipe smoke.

Moreover, nicotine can (and does) affect different people differently. It's consensus that nicotine gives a buzz, yet I can't say I've ever experience this, as far as I know. I've enquired here and there a number of times how such buzz feels—is it like the buzz you get from alcohol? –in order to be able to tell if I've felt it or not. To date, nothing conclusive. In MY case, nicotine appears to either not be felt at all or felt by being sick: a headache, not entirely pleasant alertness—like having had too much coffee, forearms feeling funny—kinda numb, lightheadedness, nausea...

I had a Romeo & Julieta No. 2 cigar yesterday, after a full meal (entire pizza with a pint of ale) and after having smoked only ~3/4 of it I experienced all the above, except for the nausea. I had to lie down for ~30 min before the lightheadedness subsided. Furthermore, when I was outside, in -17 °C weather, and even in my heated car, I felt mostly OK, a bit giddy, but OK. But the moment I walked into my warm appartment, oh man, that's when the nicotine kicked me. Funny thing this.

Posted 3 months ago #
  23. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Me personally, I have a fairly high nicotine tolerance. That doesn’t mean I’m never affected, but when I am the first sign is increased heat rate. It makes me smile and think “Hmm. Nicotine! Haa.” I like to put my hand over my heart just to feel it, and usually I’ll back off. Not so much that I get sick, but more that I know it’s not great for my cardio system.

ETA: A double ligero LFD cigar usually puts me in my place.

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 3 months ago #
  24. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve had a nic hit a few times. Sweaty palms, over salivating, burn in my throat, dizziness, light headed, and nausea are symptoms I have experienced. It is very unpleasant . I’ve had it happen from cigars and only very mildly from pipes in the early going. There are some days that my body tells me that I’ve had enough smoking for one day so I stop.

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cossackjack, elasmo, oldgeezersmoker, jfred, hoosierpipeguy, philobeddoe