Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Do You Smoke Through Your Cold/Flu?

(26 posts)
  1. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Normally I smoke through a common cold but this one this year has really hit me hard. Really bad chest cough and achy with a sore throat. Coming here makes it worse because I get tempted hearing everyone talking about their amazing smokes and new tobacco. So the question is do you smoke through your cold or do you take a break for a week?

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I can't remember the last time I caught a cold or flu -- maybe 5 years ago or longer.

Anyway, when I do get a bad cold, I don't smoke. Luckily I'm not addicted to nicotine and smoking when I'm sick like that irritates everything and makes me feel worse.

Same deal visiting some relatives and friends who don't want smoking in their house; I could go outside I suppose, but going out there alone and freezing my buns off in the winter isn't why I'm visiting them, nor is it any fun. If I won't enjoy it, I don't do it.

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. petergunn

petergunn

Login to Send PM

no, I smoke for enjoyment and I got the flu in Feb it took almost a month before I was ready to puff again.

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. cajunguy

Cajunguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Usually when I catch a cold, it hits my sinuses and screws with my taste as a result, so I usually spare my tobacco until the cold is done so I can enjoy it.

"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black." - Nigel Tufnel, Spinal Tap
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. swhipple

swhipple

Login to Send PM

Yeah I don't enjoy the pipe when I'm feeling icky. I occasionally take a break even when I'm not sick, just to give my tongue a break.

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. 4dotsasieni

4dotsasieni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gee, I heard that smoking lots of perique makes you immune to colds and flus.....

"Thus shall you view these fleeting worlds: As bubbles in the stream;
    A lightning flash, a puff of smoke, a phantom, and a pipe dream."
    - The Diamond Sutra (slightly edited for pipe smokers)
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

john218

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I lay off the when I get a cold. Smoking isn't enjoyable then.

I don't have a cold, but I've been experiencing some soreness deep in my throat the last few days.
    I've been smoking Virginias and Vapers this last week. I'm not sure if they are the cause, so I'll lay off smoking for a few days and see what happens when I start again.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

Abraham Lincoln
    Posted 6 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

vabriar

Login to Send PM

No pipe for me when sick. I don't usually crave it when sick anyway.

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, being that I stayed home from work today with a flu bug, and having the flue last month; the answer is no. I smoke for the enjoyment and flavor, and if I have a cold/cough or the flu then there is no enjoyment nor will I be tasting the tobacco so I just wait until the illness passes.

Posted 6 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Noooooooo, on the rare occasion I get a cough or sniffle, all smoking ceases immediately until it's completely gone. I get zero pleasure out of a pipe when I'm sick.

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't smoke when I have a bug.The last time it lasted for three weeks.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 6 years ago #
  12. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can add me to the long list of others who get no enjoyment out of smoking when I am sick. I have gotten a small bug twice since I started smoking a pipe seriously a couple of years ago, the last one being a few days ago. My sinuses and throat were all off and I could hardly smell or taste anything, so there was no puffing for me for about a week. I dont find that I am nicotine addicted, so its not really all that hard for me, and like some have stated above, I normally dont feel like it if I am sick anyway.

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't smoke when I'm sick, but I tend to crave a pipe really bad when I'm sick. The longer I'm sick, the harder I crave a pipe. Go figure!

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  14. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Same I don't smoke when I'm sick, however if I'm a bit stuffed up a few snorks of a VaPer actually seem to help wake up the nose.

But yeah if I'm sick I can't taste anything and that's 95% of enjoyment for me.

Posted 6 years ago #
  15. topd

TopD

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't smoke when ill and feeling bad, but I had bronchitis a couple of time. I didn't
    feel all that bad so lit-up. Worst mistake I ever made! Even though most of us don't
    inhale, you do get a dose inadvertently, just by the process of breathing.

Steve 'Top' Downey
    Master Sergeant
    USMC - Retired
    Posted 6 years ago #
  16. erichbaumer

erichbaumer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it's just a mild cold, I find that a good strong English can help clear up the sinuses. If my throat's bothering me, or it's really a flu and I just feel terrible in general, I won't touch tobacco. I'll still smoke with a common cold though, depending on how I'm feeling and if I can smoke inside.

"I don't want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it." -Mark Twain
    Posted 6 years ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope. I have a cock-eyed notion that pipe smoking gives the bugs a hard life
    and acts as a preventative, but once I have a cough or cold, etc., I put my energies
    into getting well. My taste and smell functions are bad when I'm sick. No use in
    wasting good 'baccy on mucus bound passages. What's the point?

Posted 6 years ago #
  18. ebag

ebag

Login to Send PM

Twarp, I'm just now getting over bronchitis and that's exactly what I did when I first was having it. I didn't feel too bad and then took a hit. Man, definitely worse mistake I've ever done.

Though, now I'm feeling fine so a smoke now and then is definitely wonderful. No hacking up a lung.

Petty Officer Third Class
    USN
    Posted 6 years ago #
  19. trailspike48

trailspike48

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had a low grade bug the last few days. Just a little coughing etc. and I've smoking more not less. Probably because I'm resting instead of doing little jobs to occupy my day.

Posted 6 years ago #
  20. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My last cold left me with no appetite to smoke for almost two weeks.

Posted 6 years ago #
  21. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't smoke when I get a cold or a flu. I smoke for the enjoyment and flavor. However, I had a small sore throat recently and I went and had a smoke and my sore throat cleared up. Made me wonder

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 6 years ago #
  22. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Even though most of us don't
    inhale, you do get a dose inadvertently, just by the process of breathing.

+1

A mild cold won't stop me usually, but the flu - never.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 6 years ago #
  23. olewaylon

olewaylon

Login to Send PM

I will smoke a lot less but still find enjoyment in smoking with a cold. I might crank up the baccy with a 1792 flake where a little goes a long way.

Posted 6 years ago #
  24. spyder71

Spyder

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Must have my Nic, cold flu or otherwise.

"I used to cry because I had no shoes. Until I met a man who had no feet"- My favorite and I use it to get by...

Support The Epilepsy Awareness Foundation!
    Posted 6 years ago #
  25. guerillapiper

guerillapiper

Login to Send PM

I take a break if it's a head cold/flu. If you can't smell it or taste it, what's the point?

Posted 6 years ago #
  26. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got whacked pretty strong with the flu early in the year. Went 30 days without a pipe.

As noted, it's not that I inhale, but you I couldn't smell or taste anything, didn't really need the incidental smoke and would not have wanted ANY nicotine.

It was interesting because I never had any craving or anything like a nail smoker would get. But I missed it for the ritual and the quiet time and was very happy to get back to it. I'm a bowl-a-day except on the weekends, so that's for context.

Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cfreud, mikey517, burleyboy, georged, haparnold, pepesdad1, lawdawg, the85boro