Do You Smoke A $100+ Tobacco?

(56 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by sablebrush52
  • Latest reply from noseflute
  1. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

The thread about $1000 pipes got me thinking about a newer phenomenon, expensive "collectible" tobacco. This market seems to be growing, with any of a number of tins going for $100 to $500 each. And with the recent exit of McClelland, their tins a currently going for 3-4 times retail, and will likely go for much more than that in a decade or so. Many of you are now sitting on tins that you paid $ for and could sell for $$$. Clearly, some of you are cashing in. Are you going to smoke your $$$ tins, stare at them with angst, or sell them? A pipe you can use repeatedly. Tobacco, not so much.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

ekert

Login to Send PM

As someone who found out about McClelland's closure a few weeks too late, I have been buying tins at $$$ prices to cellar and smoke. I wish I had joined this forum a month earlier and purchased at $ or $$ prices, but c'est la vie. Pipe smoking is quite inexpensive when compared to cigars. I've smoked many $100+ cigars, but have never heard of a $100+ bowl of pipe tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 20 pounds of McClelland tins and another five pounds of bulls. I plan on enjoying them. It’s why I stashed them away over the years! My money making money is in mutual funds and stocks.

Mike S.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good question. I have 2 tins left of GL Pease's Renaissance Reserve which is probably the blend worth the most in my cellar. I'm probably will open a tin this fall; I love Syrian latakia so I probably won't sell the other one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. orobusto

orobusto

Login to Send PM

Since I bought most of my tobacco at normal prices, I don't think of it as $100 tobacco. I gave a friend a 1/2 tin of escudo that would go for about $100, but I see it as the $4.50 tin I bought in a clearance bin in 2006. I buy to enjoy it. If I worried about potential value, I'd be kicking myself for every baseball card I stuck in my spokes as a kid.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have ~3 lbs of aged tobacco that I wish I had smoked, but I was saving it for a special occasion that never came.

Uncultivated tobacco has no purpose, but its destiny is to wither in the field and to be overgrown by the coming years' foliage, while cultivated tobacco's purpose is to be smoked, especially if destined for some amount of longevity by bering tinned. You could say, then, that the longer it is held unsmoked, the further distant it is from its purpose and the more important it becomes than that tension be resolved by being smoked.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Virginias I intend to save and smoke some/sell some. Lat blends I still have that fear they will fade away. I figure I will smoke a bunch and then sell them off as they approach the 10 year mark if I can't get to them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. scrumpyjack

scrumpyjack

Login to Send PM

Smoke them. I smoke cigars as well. I don't think twice about smoking cigars from a two to three hundred dollar box I have bought. I'm looking at these high priced tins the same way. I was fortunate to stock up on some of these sought after tins when they were regular retail. That's a win for me. I don't smoke the expensive stuff everyday, but I have no problem enjoying it when the mood or occasion hits me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke some, sell some and stash some for myself.

I've spent $100-200 plus on 2 oz tins quite often. I'm far from rich but smoke what I like - regardess of price.

I'm not a big fan of McClellands and I recently cashed in and sold over 5 lbs of it on ebay. At the going rate BTW, for aged and discontinued tobacco. I decided not to post/sell it here and be accused of gouging.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My normal goal is to cellar and smoke for under $3 an ounce.

I splurged recently and bought a pile of aged GL Pease from another forum member for about $7 per ounce.

$100 tin? Get off my lawn!

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. 9mmpuffer

9mmpuffer

Login to Send PM

I open and smoke my Wilderness and 3 Oaks Syrian, which I could probably get over $100/tin for. Money is only utility. If something is great and you can afford it, why not... dying with millions and millions of dollars is the definition of stupidity.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would smoke it. I've only paid that for a tin of Dunhill Standard Mixture Full and enjoyed every penny of it.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. ron123

ron123

Login to Send PM

I smoke tobacco ranging from $10/tin, to tins worth over $100/each. As mentioned higher up in this thread, compared to cigar prices, even the expensive tins are not outrageous...especially when you consider your cost per smoke.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I have dozens of tins of McClelland's that were purchased for $10-$16, my max for any tin. All the Esotericas in my cellar were purchased for under $30/8 ounce bag. I did buy 250g of Heinrick's Curly Block for about $80, but that was a one time thing to try it. $100+ per tin or bag is far above what I am willing to pay for something to burn.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Joe Blow

Login to Send PM

In Australia, the cheapest 50 grams will cost is $75. (Pouch of borkum riff).
    If you're a pipe smoker in Australia, if you're not willing to spend $100, you won't be smoking a pipe soon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^^ Holy Crap !

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you're a pipe smoker in Australia, if you're not willing to spend $100, you won't be smoking a pipe soon.

That will likely be the case everywhere before much longer for those who have not cellared.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

briarbuda48

Login to Send PM

I purchased my cellar to smoke and share. It’s nice to know that the market value greatly exceeds what I paid but that was not my intention. I would buy aged tins more often if I could find them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. brassmonkey

brassmonkey

Login to Send PM

New Zealand is similar to Australia price wise. A 50 gram tin costs between $100-$125, approx $70 of the cost goes to the government. 25 years ago you could buy 50 gram pouches for $10.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. jfred

jfred

Login to Send PM

I don't know if I would ever pay 100$ for a tin, but if I did, it sure would be to smoke it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a few aged tins that I paid >$100 for. I bust them out from time to time. It’s worth it to me. But the real pleasure is sharing it with others.

Neal
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With the McClelland tins I have I will eventually get through them all.

I haven't gotten too much into the vintage tin market. I have started to cellar away tins. I would probably spend $100 on a tin and enjoy it if it was a really old Escudo/Capstan.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I had some $100+ tins of whatever that have been sitting in the davecave that I paid $4 to $20 from JR's or a pipe show 20 some years ago sure why not.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I paid up for 1992 Christmas Cheer recently (actually a good buy, well below an auction I saw on eBay that had ended just days before, but over$100) and I will smoke it July 4. Still cheap compared to the Cuban cigars I chased years ago. I don't regret that, so why would I hesitate to crack a $100 + 100 gram tin of pipe tobacco? Besides, I am 68 years old. I still buy green bananas,but that is about the extent of my comfort zone for long range planniing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would probably spend $100 on a tin and enjoy it if it was a really old Escudo/Capstan.

Precisely! It can be nirvana and worth every penny.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/33-year-old-capstan-blue-perfection

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Someone once gave me a tin of Balkan Sobranie from the 1970's. At the time such tins were selling for over a thousand dollars on eBay. I cracked it open and smoked it. I also shared it which was cool to do and I would do so again.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. rmpeeps

rmpeeps

Login to Send PM

Smoke - yes
    Stare at with angst - yes
    Sell - yes
    .....and even enjoy sharing a few.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would not buy a $100 tin of tobacco. If my tins became worth $100 or more I would seriously consider selling them. I've children and am not in a position to watch that much money go up in smoke. For me a cellared $100 tin is unlikely to provide 10x the enjoyment of a $10 tin anyway. I'd rather have ten $10 tins than one $100 tin.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I sold a healthy amount. I don't prefer any particular tobacco enough to pay $100 a tin or to miss out on making $70-$100+ a tin. In the end, I could be happy all day smoking my non-McClelland's blends. I will miss the vinegary Virginias, but not enough to justify hanging on to them. I am enjoying the LPs, pipes and my new espresso machine I bought with the "tobacco sales money" tremendously.

i'll have a bigger dilemma if RY or Hyde Park ever go for $100 a tin. I have hoards of them and I do like them quite a bit.

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. tavol

tavol

Login to Send PM

Living in Europe I guess I'll find out in a couple of years the way they're taxing tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A few times I had to sell and cash in on some of my older cellared tobaccos. It was nice to have that option to get 100 or so bucks for a tin I only paid 10 bucks for. 2009 and 2013 were some rough times for me (financially) amd selling my baccy was a life-saver.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm new to the pipe hobby and I have never smoked any aged tobacco. I recently purchased a twenty year old tin of Mac Baren's Symphony ($15) and plan to open it and compare to a new tin of Symphony. It will be my inexpensive taste test.

I do have six tins of Frog Morton that I paid $15.95 each that I plan on storing away.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I didn't answer the original question.

If I was a more experienced smoker...yes, I would open and smoke a $100 tin.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I managed to accumulate 15 pounds or so of aged stuff at normalish prices over the past 5 years. Some from PS and the rest on EBAY. Ebay was a fabulous place to find tins. I was buying 10+ year old CC for 20-25$ for a couple of years before the shit hit the fan. That should be enough to let my "new" stuff gets 5+ years of age on them. Pretty much have it set up where I should ever have to crack a non-aged tin (barring a natural disaster like fire or locusts).

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think this is a great thread started by Jesse, and have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of the comments.

Having been a re-seller of old, rare and/or out of production pipe tobacco for more than 20-years, I have received a lot of comments from my buyers as to why they are purchasing such and such a tin. I'm not sure which responses were most prevelant, but here are comments I get when someone pulls the trigger on $100+ tins that I sell to them -

* I've heard about this great old blend for years and have always wanted to try it.

* My father/grandfather smoked this one all the time and I'm buying this tin for nostalgia's sake.

* This is one of the finest tobaccos that I have ever smoked and now that it is out of production I hoard as many tins as I can find for future enjoyment.

* I'm actually buying this tin as a gift for: a friend/family member/my pipe club.

* I collect rare pipe tobacco and this tin will be a great addition to my stash.

* I see this blend sell on your website all the time for huge prices. I figure it must be good!

* I loved the tin art on that one and just had to have it.

And finally, I will close with one of the most humorous comments that I ever received - "Hey dude, you don't fool me. You are running a fake website to build your reputation. You really don't have those tins or sell them at those ridiculous prices. Nobody would be stupid enough to pay $400 for a 50g tin of pipe tobacco. Someone should report you for fraud!"

Pipestud
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This just in! Delivered to my office this morning. Esoterica Dunbar, purchased from a member here. While not $100 it is a great example of a specific blend I chase hard and am willing to pay a premium for. Especially when it has a bit of age like this one.

No nestalgia in this case. I will immediately consume this tobacco, starting tonight after work. I pay the premium in this case due to the unobtainable nature of the blend. Sure it’s still made, but I literally don’t have the time to chase it. So I pay the convenience fee. And now the price probably just increased because I posted a picture with praise.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^Pipe Stud^^^
    Great comments from a master on this topic.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I might would try it once, just to see if it was worth it. I don't know if it would smoke that much better than anything else for a LOT less money.

Just to add to the $1,000 pipe part, I mean, you could always smoke $1,000 W.O. LARSEN HAND PRESSED 2015 in a $1,000 pipe, right?

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm going to sprint ahead by sitting still. For the thrill of wildly expensive tobacco, I'm going to smoke the several tins of those blends that have gone wildly inflated in price, while also enjoying in rotation the many excellent blends that are still available at pleasing U.S. retail prices which must be about the lowest in the world, except maybe for the shops on Gibraltar mentioned in another post.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

As a newbie pipe smoker, no I'm not smoking something at that price. I might use a $100 or more pipe one day but they last, the tobacco is set on fire so I wouldn't spend that much money on it. That's mainly why I switched from cigars, I was smoking the cheaper end of the spectrum $5-$15 cigars but that's for one smoke. I found out I could spend that amount on pipe tobacco and it last for weeks.

“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  41. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

FMOTT was my "big jar" tobacco. I usually had four or five tins on hand, in addition to what was in the jar. (Jar would get near empty, I'd dump in a couple of tins. When I ran our of tins, I'd buy four or five.)

When they bowed out, I had half a jar and four tins. I'm enjoying it in the normal course. When it's gone I'll replace it with one of the scores and scores and scores of fine English tobaccos available at reasonable prices.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. artificialme

artificialme

Login to Send PM

Nostalgia will be my main cause to smoke a $100 tobacco. Not in a near future per se. But maybe in the next 25 years or maybe 40 years ahead when I'm still breathing, old memories of mine will gather and puff away in a smoke. Seems poetic

But maybe in 25 or 40 years later, a tin will cost that much anyway

Adhie was here
    Posted 1 year ago #
  43. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How much could I get for 2007 Stonehaven? Certainly 100.00 for 4 ounces would seem reasonable. I smoke it on a regular basis as I bought it to smoke, not to sell. I have some older tins that would go for over a hundred and I am saving them for when friends come over or a special occasion. I have no intention of selling any of my tobacco and could care less what it would sell for. If I sold all of my stash for a huge profit, it would not alter my lifestyle in any way.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  44. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I feel a tobacco is worth $100+ i plunk it down. A great smoke is worth it. Cope's Escudo is a blend worth any price. Remember Levine's Law - "Tobacco will never be cheaper nor more plentiful than today".

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

artvandelay007

Login to Send PM

I only bought one tin in excess of $100. That was 1992 CC. I plan to crack into it many years down the road.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do I smoke a C-note tobacco? No, period, because I wouldn't pay that much.

Now, *would* I, if someone *gave* it to me? Absolutely yes, because like Howard said in "Speed," to not do it would be to deny the tobacco its reason to exist.

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  47. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

Buy and smoke of course, needless to say that they last me a long time since I'm not a heavy pipe smoker.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. smokingcricket

smokingcricket

Login to Send PM

Not me.The most expensive tobacco I smoke is 1792 and wouldn't pay that for it if wasn't coming fom overseas and made on such old equipment.And It is pretty easy to come buy.I can see paying high prices for stuff no longer in production.I couldn't pay those in flated prices on a tobacco labeled collectable because a blending house will not produce enough for it's loyal fan base.They found a marketing strategy that ensures every tin of a batch of there tobacco is bought.Make less and put it on the market with long intervals between releases.That I could be fine with if they made it where only smokers could buy it.Bit as it is now they have attracted eBay sellers who just wanna make a profit by buying much as they can and turning around and charging three times what they paid for it the next day.Your not paying for aged or out of production tobacco.You are paying for unavailable tobacco made that way from the person your buying from and the blending house itself.I will not support that.But that's just my opinion.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not yet. But it's inevitable if I live long enough. I do have a 20 year old half pound of Penzance, probably worth a bit of coin. Haven't decided what to do with it besides probably smoking it one day.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  50. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Not yet. But it's inevitable if I live long enough. I do have a 20 year old half pound of Penzance, probably worth a bit of coin. Haven't decided what to do with it besides probably smoking it one day.

You can get about $600 for it on eBay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

grimpuffer

Login to Send PM

I sat on bottles of bourbon for a long time as “investments”, but then a good friend asked me,” So if you died tomorrow - you’re ok with never trying any of those you tried forever to find?”

Though it didn’t happen immediately I did finally open and enjoy all of them.

I feel the same with tobacco. I have several tins of McClelland St James Flake from 08 in my cellar and the whole oriental line and I’ll prob smoke all of them in time. Even if they eventually are worth that $100 I’d still want to enjoy them.

Unless I get a chance to trade I for something I really want I’m fine with smoking them up.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. coldsmoke

coldsmoke

Login to Send PM

Well Plum Pudding Special Reserve just went up a few bucks a tin so yeah at over a hundred bucks a pound, I guess I qualify.
    I also have a wee bit of unobtanium in the cellar but although worth $$$ I plan on enjoying myself.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. User has not uploaded an avatar

bootygrocery

Login to Send PM

Im fairly new to the scene, but what was the price and quality of tobacco 10 years ago?

I would not buy a $100 tin, but if it rose in price I wouldn't sell, I would enjoy it!

But I do see certain people buying lbs and 100 tins. If one cannot smoke the entire amount in one's lifetime, It is obvious that it was purchased as a commodity in a financial system and treated as such. For this I would say If you made an entry, you should make your exit before you burn yourself

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. acaciavet

acaciavet

Login to Send PM

My 40 Tins of McClelland tobacco cost me 15 years ago 10.50 each. All I can say is investment now!

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would not buy a $100 tin of tobacco. If my tins became worth $100 or more I would seriously consider selling them. I've children and am not in a position to watch that much money go up in smoke. For me a cellared $100 tin is unlikely to provide 10x the enjoyment of a $10 tin anyway. I'd rather have ten $10 tins than one $100 tin.

This exactly.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  56. noseflute

noseflute

Login to Send PM

Since I stopped smoking during 10 years and had cellared most of my numerous tins before that, I smoke almost only 10+ y.o. tobacco, notably McClelland's. So yes, I smoke $100 tobacco. But if I make a sandwich wich a $10.000 bank check that I wrote, will I really eat $10.000 ?

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jpmcwjr, jaytex969, laniromee, cdmjr, jiminks, danimalia