PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
This is going out to all those like me: non-cigarette smoking, bowl-a-day pipe smokers. How do you answer/respond to the question, "Do you smoke?" I suppose, in a literal sense, we do, but fundamentally, the connotative meaning of this short question is, "do you smoke cigarettes?" So what should I say?
  • No
  • Yes
  • Yes, pipes
  • Occasionally I smoke a pipe

Just not sure what I should/would say. What do you all say?

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Well, I think you have to think long and hard how to answer depending on who's asking.

Is it a social setting? Is it an insurance company or job interview? Depends. But my

answer is "Yes, I smoke a Pipe".

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
TopD, you're a different case, actually. I'm kind of wondering about those who smoke 1 bowl per day, whereas you smoke all day.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ditto TopD. I get a chuckle when the doctor's young assistant asks, "How much?", and I answer, "Oh, 7 - 15 grams/day!" :lol:
ps. I'm of the opinion that you should get a different doctor if he has to ask if you smoke.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
My work and insurance both think I'm a non smoker, my friends know I smoke a pipe. I only smoke 1-3 bowls a week, I went to the dentist last month and asked him if I look like a smoker, he said it looks like I don't even drink soda :D

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
"Yes, I smoke a Pipe".

I smoke an average of one bowl a day and I give the same answer as ToPD.
The trickier question is, "Does your girlfriend smoke?"

Answer, "I don't know. I haven't got her that hot yet."

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
HaHaaa Philip. Was thinking the same thing.
But if her knickers catch fire several time a day, or once a week... Do you still Ummmmm,

assist her, or let 'em burn??

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
But more to the point, I agree Mick. If I only smoked a couple bowls a week, I wouldn't tell

an insurance company, and pay a higher rate. Nor would I tell an employer if I didn't need to

go out to the smoking area during the day.
I was giving you "my" answer....

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
My answer is, "Not Cigs."
Sometimes they assume Cigars, and other times they shut the hell up. Let them assume.
Social setting, "I smoke a tobacco pipe."

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Seems to me that these days almost everyone considers smoking as smoking, no reguard for what type (other than the illegal stuff that is!). Last time I did an insurance form it didn't ask if I smoked but did ask if I used tobacco in any form: there's no doubt about that one…and I suspect that's the way things are heading.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
My Dr was specific : do you smoke cigs, no. Do you smoke cigars, rarely. Do you smoke a pipe, yes. Do you inhale, no...then you're a nonsmoker.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I like Chris's doctor's questions and conclusion. My wife's doctor was specific as well - "Do you smoke cigarettes?" "No" - No further questions.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I guess it depends on whether or not you think it is their business...
I'd tell my doctor or dentist the extent of my pipe smoking if they asked me specifically or if I had a related concern, otherwise I don't necessarily broadcast it to them.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
A few years ago I went to the ER because I wasn't feeling well. I wound up having to stay the night to have some tests run so I wound up getting the full battery of questioning about my health history, etc.
This question came up to which I answered "Yes, I have an occassional cigar." This was during my time away from pipes by the way.
After explaining that I have a few cigars a week, like 2-3, I ended up getting one just one but two visits from hospital staff to talk to me about tobacco cessation.
So now, when I get asked about smoking I usually just reply with "I do not smoke cigarettes" and just leave it vague.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Yeah I don't have any time for propaganda like that, that's why I'm a bit careful.
It's alarming sometimes how they can't see the difference between someone smoking two packs a day and someone who has two bowls a day... If I smoked a tin a day, I'd definitely see the need to tell them outright but that isn't the case by a longshot!

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
A lot of interesting responses, even from the medical community apparently. I guess I will just say "no, I don't smoke cigarettes."
Talking about "smoking a pipe" might bring up connotations of marijuana. There's a shop in my city called "The Pipe Shop" and all they sell are bongs and Bob Marley t-shirts/posters/flags/etc. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.