PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I can't remember when I read a so called "Best Seller." I read lots of history, and for literature or novels tend to read the older authors, and of course books from unknown authors within my work specialty. Steinbeck, Poe, Twain, Verne, Melville, Emerson, Thoreau, I read and re-read.
The only modern author I follow is Clive Cussler. And that's because we share the same passion.
How about the rest of you?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Some of the non-fiction best sellers I read. Totally dependent on the author and subject matter. Usually they haven't appeared on the lists or have disappeared. Very little of the fiction best sellers. In fact, after reading your question Frank, I was surprised to discover that I haven't touched a fiction book in a couple of years. I am gonna have to change that in the near future. Maybe McMurtry will come out with something good soon.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I love to read especially mystery/crime fiction. Some become "best sellers."
Try James Lee Burke for the best prose around. Also give Robert Crais a look over and Lee Child too.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
I do read bestsellers or commercially popular books. I have read everything Stephen King published through the year 2000. I have recently started reading Koontz. I just finished a book by Chaim Potok entitled "The Book of Lights" which was a bestseller for its time dealing with Judaism in the face of a modern world and making some sense of a post Hiroshima age.
I am intrigued when reading books becomes popular in our modern time. There is something to be said when the old hobby can capture modern attention. (Get ready to cringe) I’ve read the “Hunger Games” to see if it was worthwhile and I found it to be worth less than the paperback price stamped on the back. I’ve ready the Harry Potter series and found them to be a delight. Please do not think me totally unsophisticated. I enjoy non-fiction, recently reading Alex Kershaw’s “The Liberator.” An amazing story of the lesser spoken of Allied invasion of WWII Europe through the south route of Italy.

For me it’s not what a book means to others that ultimately forms my opinions, it’s how well the story is told and whether I can relate and enjoy.

I read about three or four books a week. Since college I've found that I have a gift for speed reading, so my appetite for books is huge. Of those, I have no problem with bestsellers. In fact, I've just finished the Potato Factory trilogy, which is based on the real characters from Oliver Twist after they were sentenced to Australia. The main character is Ikey Solomon, and he had a tobacco shop in Australia briefly. Harsh, violent, and action packed, I was not disappointed. Other than that, I have a variety of history and novels in the Q to be read next.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Cussler is great, read a ton of his, earlier books better than the ones now co-authored, Vince Flynn, all of them, too bad he can't write anymore & Brad Thor, all of them & everyone that he will write in the future.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I used to real a lot. I have always been interested in the fantasy genre (which worried my mother to no end). However, I had always stayed away from the Harry Potter books. When Book 5 came out, Order of the Phoenix, I think, that was also when the first movie came out. Once I saw the move, and knew more about the series, I started reading them. Not a bad series.
I have never, and will never, read the Twilight series, nor watch the movies. They hold no interest at all. Neither the Hunger Games books/movies either. Just not my thing.
I would, however, heartily suggest a series which introduces a delightfully inventive spin on magic using symbols. It is written by Patrick Rothfuss, a college lecturer. The series is entitled The Kingkiller Chronicles. Book 1 "The Name of the Wind" and Book 2 "The Wise Man's Fear". Book 3 should be out this year.
I have recently downloaded the complete works of P.G.Wodehouse, and have started reading the Jeeves and Wooster books. I adored the series by that comic duo Fry and Laurie, and I am thoroughly enjoying reading along and putting Hugh's voice to Bertie's words.

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
I occasionally read a best-seller if it's an author I like, Terry Pratchett for example.At the moment, I'm reading a guide to beer tasting, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (I've read everything else by Fleming and am a bit of a completist), and Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind. Perhaps we can discuss it when I'm done, griffonwing.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
@vfefrenzy - That sounds great. I will need to reread the 2 books anyway for anticipation on the (hopefully) upcoming 3rd book this year.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
@griffonwing and @vfefrenzy, have you gents heard of the "Mistborn" trilogy? I love the "King Killer" trilogy and Mistborn is just as good.

I think I know where your coming from (Op). When I scan the NYT Bestsellers list or whatever list on my Kindle, I'm not usually turned on by the selections. I usually start with looking to see what might be suggested from an author that I enjoyed or a title, and then see what other people grouped that selection in with. Sometimes I get something worthy, sometimes not. There's lots of good stuff off of the bestseller beaten path. I even got infatuated with reading self-published ship logs on Kindle from folks sailing around the world. I was even infatuated with what was bought and traded at ports, gas, food, water and such. It wasn't Hemingway, but I was curious, ha ha. And, it was out there to be read. Bumfuzzle was a particularly good one.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Try James Lee Burke for the best prose around. Also give Robert Crais a look over and Lee Child too.
Some of my favourite crime writers, these three. I really, really liked Crais' "Suspect". His finest book, IMO.
I do read literary novels, too, but during the last few years I can't seem to concentrate well on more heavier stuff. One of the downsides of clinical depression.
Here's my goodreads profile if anyone's interested: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4446058-jari

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Why read when you can just wait for the movie to come out. LOL

I can't recall the last time I read a book by a Best Selling Author or an actual Best Selling book. It was probably high school for a book report. Most of the stuff I read these days is about Heavy Metal music or individual Metal bands. The occasional sports book as well.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I read an eclectic sampling from books I've been given by family members, usually. I did go out and buy a book this year at a bookstore and read it.

It is "Kill Anything That Moves"...Nick Turse

I've really enjoyed everything by Stuart Woods and Elmore Leonard. Robt Patterson ain't all bad either. I finally finished reading King's 11/22/63 in hardcover. I often find I read in binges or only very sporadically.

But, I'm always reading stuff on the interwebs.

Status
Not open for further replies.