PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
As I read the many posts about those of you who buy 4,5,6 or more of different tins of bacci at a time, especially if you buy bacci you have never tasted, I was wondering if you finish a tin first before you start another. I buy a few tins of different blends I've never used, and finish one before I open another. But I hate the wait time between tasting each one. I don't smoke a lot, maybe a bowl a day in the winter and 2 bowls per day in the spring, summer, so finishing a tin or 2 takes time. And the wait to open another tin is painful!!!!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I smoke much more than you do. I sometimes have four or five tins cracked at a time. Sometimes, particularly with a tin I'm not too keen on, I soak a button for the tin. That tin may take a couple of weeks to finish and, of course, will never darken my desk again. As I said in some other thread there has only been one blend that I so detested that it was tossed after the first partial bowl.
You could learn to savor the wait, I suppose. I just don't try new blends that often. Although it is happening more often thanks to the forum. Now, when I order tobacco I always order up one, maybe two blends I've read about here. It has to be the right guys making the recommendation though. There are a couple whose taste are similar to mine.

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
I buy a lot in bulk so I can smoke most of what I have when ever I want. However, When I buy tins I open one tin at a time and if I open it and it's a new tobacco and I don't think I care for it or what have you I jar the rest for another time and crack something else. The order I have on the way from P&C has multiple tins and I haven't tried any of them so We will see if I resist the urge to crack them all open. HAHA. especially with things coming like escudo that I hear so many good things about and OGS that I also hear many good things about.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
I usually have 3 or 4 going at a time because I get tired of smoking the same blend all the time. Right now I have open Old Dublin, MM965, Durbar, and a bulk C&D VA/Per.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I open them all at once. Possibly came from my granddad, who got jacked up in the trenches of WWI. He always ate dessert first, because he never got over the feeling he might die tomorrow.
If I have a blend in a baggie I don't want to dry out, I put the baggie in a tub, and hope what's already in the tub doesn't flavor the baggie.
That's right for me, I can't tell you what's right for you!

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Depends. I have 3 tins open for about 2 weeks. If I do not smoke all the tobacco I will jar it. Most if the time I will not come back to it for several months.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I put everything in jars, so I guess I have many tins open at a time. I might get a two pipes a week if I'm lucky. I haven't had a problem with tobaccos drying out in the jar like they will in the tins, even with repeated openings.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
When I'm unpacking a box I have the Mason jars handy and open them all for storing so I can get a good whiff of the pouch / tin note, I mainly buy in bulk so I can have a jar ageing and enough to fill a couple of tins. My usual rotation ranges from 6-10 tins so I can smoke something different depending on mood and current desire. Often I'll mix stronger Aro's with something mild like Prince Albert or Carter Hall For something a bit different. I enjoy mixing a bit of this with a bit of that, sometimes with 3-4 blends then age that also. With a bit of luck my next box will arrive in a week and I can be like a kid in a lollie store for an hour as I unpack the 11 different blends on the way (mostly in 6-8oz bags).

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I like trying blends that the brothers are discussing on the boards, and have been quite undisciplined about opening tins. I usually have at least a dozen tins going at any one time.
Like others, I jar mine. Unlike most, I don't use Mason jars. I prefer food grade, plastic bail jars. They don't break, the bail lock keeps the contents fresh, you can get them in various sizes, and they're more convenient to get in and out of than standard canning jars. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0C1KYA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
I have several regulars, e.g., SG Navy Flake, PS LBF and LNF, and now, GLP Quite Nights, that are always on hand. I also usually have one "project smoke", a tin of a new blend that I smoke daily until complete, so that I can really understand the blend. I picked up this habit during last years tobacco crawls. I was constantly surprised at how much my appreciation for a blend deepened after smoking it consistently.
I like Mike Stanley's habit of keeping of keeping tins of different styles ready for consumption. Out of my dozen plus open tins, I'd guess at least half are VaPers. I'm thinking of finishing my opens, and going forward, keeping open one each of a VaPer, VaBur, English, aromatic, cigar blend, lakeland, etc. Would cut down on the number of storage jars I need as well.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
naaa typically I'm buying if I'm buying new stuff to try I want to wait until I get some free space in my jars so that I'm not just over run with mason jars of tobacco, cause once its in the jars I feel like I've got to smoke it..

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Freakie, I'm with you. I just ordered my last batch of jars. My new year resolution is not to open a new tin until I free up an old jar for storing it.
Wish I had read your post earlier. The problem with wisdom is that it comes with experience. Experience is shorthand for all the mistakes and poor choices made along the way.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
brass - I have a covenant with my wife. I can have as many blends in stock as she has pairs of shoes. Not tins of blends mind you but different blends. Which reminds me I need to place an order. Yea I learned a long time ago that there's no rush it won't go bad unopened for a few months or years. The one thing I will do is when there is less than 1oz left in a jar it goes in a bag and the bag goes in my remnant jar. It's stuffed with little baggies of this and that I use my remnant jar as kind of sample bin. When friends want to try something new they can go to the remnant jar and help themselves. That frees up a bigger jar for refilling with fresh or new stuff while not wasting the other stuff.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Freakie, love the remnant jar, idea. My failing is that I read about a blend in one of the forums, get curious, and impulsively order and/or open a tin. I want my need for instant gratifications gratified, and I want it gratified right now. :P

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
When ever I buy a tin It gets broken down into 2 jars. One is put away to age and the other is kept for smoking because I never know what I might feel like smoking on any given day.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I also only use jars, if you have trouble getting the contents out (especially if your like me and compress the contents to get as much in as possible) then try the wide mouth jars, they are shorter and easier to access. I just ordered my last batch of jars to ensure I always have enough. I ordered 4 sizes and a total of 35 jars, one of those jars is a vintage Mason Jar close to about years or more and it's about 16 fluid oz.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I have about a dozen glass bail jars for the stuff I want to have handy - I'm still exploring, so I like to have variety. I use the mason jars for long term storage, though I do have one full of Escudo (the rest of my Escudo stash is in the original tins).
As for opening the tins, it varies. With my last tin order (one each of the Bjarne Viking series), I had intended to be careful - start with one, get to know it, finish it off (at least mostly), then open the next one. As it happened, though, I had run through some of my smaller samples (in 1 oz. "spice jars"), and 3 of my bail jars were low enough that I was able to swap them out, so the Odin's Wind, Eric the Red, and William the Conqueror have all been jarred. St. Olaf is still tinned and waiting. The current TAD order will have to wait until I've had either fewer busy Fridays or better weather before I'll have space in the jars to accommodate them. I live in Colorado, so the humidity or lack thereof has to be taken into consideration.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I probably have 2 dozen plus tins open right now stored in big plastic containers. I put a folded up paper towel soaked with DI water in each container. My taste goes bowl to bowl. I need to try new stuff and smoke old favorites in one day to keep me satisfied. Some tobaccos like Lat blends I smoke rarely but have a definite hankering for them at times. Plus this forum is responsible for me having a huge cellar and trying all different kinds of delicious goodness so it's all youse guys's fault. :nana:

Status
Not open for further replies.