PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
My wife and I love hot sauces. When we lived in Calif. we met a guy and his wife that had just started a mail order company called Mo Hotta, Mo Betta. They were always getting us to try new hot sauces they had come across from around the world. One of out favorites was called Inner Beauty, a Caribbean hot sauce.. It was a fruit based scotch bonnet pepper sauce the was wonderful for many things, but we liked it on chunks of cantaloupe. I know that's weird, but man I loved it. Can't seem to find it now, but I believe it has been re-released, unfortunately it's not the same thing, so we usually buy Matouk's West Indian hot sauce which is similar. So much hot stuff, so little time....

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Indeed I do love hot sauce. Thanks for the heads up. I'm not currently in the market, however, back in the day there was a concoction called "Smack My Ass and Call Me Sally" which a single drop of could round out my extremely spicy chili really well. It is currently available on the Mo Hotta Mo Betta website. The Habanero/Carrot variety is excellent. :puffy:
http://www.mohotta.com/product/smack-my-ass-call-me-sally-hot-sauce/heat-level-10-plus?gclid=CJiThOuj0NMCFQQIaQodsv0L5w

Jan 8, 2013
I love hot sauce. Most every thing I eat, I kick it up a notch.... or a thousand, but although I love spicy foods and sometimes insanely melt your eyeballs spicey foods, I really prefer a hot sauce that adds great flavor with a spicy kick. When it's all hot and no flavor, it's really just chest thumping then.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I Am a wimp when it comes to spicy or hot. I am Interested in trying some hot things occasionally though.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
There is one that I get called Acid Rain, so hot, yet so good.

Love that site, so much spice!

Jan 8, 2013
I have a friend who grows Moruga Scorpion and California Reaper peppers. I've had the pleasure (or perhaps the stupidity) of testing my mettle (or lack of something between my ears) with those a few times. To put it in perspective, a jalapeno registers on the Scoville Heat Scale at somewhere around 5,000. The California Reaper is 1,569,300. No I have not eaten an entire reaper by itself. I am not yet ready to die.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Picked up some of this in Florida years ago, quite good if I remember correctly, hot but tasty 8O
WV009__59643.1346536524.500.500.jpg

In one of my first gardens, I grew a whole row of Scotch Bonnets and habeneros. I also grew a whole row of eggplants, ha ha. I had no idea what to do with any of those. I would just toss them over the fence as they grew. I still have no idea what to do with an eggplant. But, more than one habenero a year is too many of those things. But, I can eat jalapenos all day long.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I like poblano brand made locally in Tucson. Old article but great sauce.

http://tucson.com/business/longtime-tucson-company-s-salsa-is-one-hot-commodity/article_f5fbbf2c-2ab5-5dff-8413-08e7886c4f22.html

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I went through a time in my mid-thirties when I craved hot pepper adventures, starting with a Szechwan restaurant where I'd sample various levels of hot and spicy and mostly rose to the challenge. Over time, I decided gasping and weeping weren't the point, but I have continued to enjoy measured hot spice that enhances the flavor of the food, which means the level has to be low enough the give range to the other food flavors. At a Thai restaurant in Bethesda, Md., the waiter politely advised me not to eat the pepper in the clear soup that was there for flavoring but not direct consumption. I think my sensitivity has increased so now if the hot spice is a little over the top, I just can't enjoy the dish. At the right level, in Mexican, Chinese, Thai, and other cuisines, spice can be the grace note.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Sriracha is like ketchup, just basic everyday sauce. Prefer to grow peppers and ferment the hot sauce myself. Keep a couple jars of dehydrated ghost chili/scotch bonnet/white habenero/lemon drop/fish pepper and misc. around. Those are my main peppers for flavors that I like. Anyone who grows need to consider cross pollination when planting, grown plenty of pepperoncini that could kick any jalapeno's ass and stand a few rounds with a habenero after.

Anyone who grows need to consider cross pollination when planting,

There is a grain of truth in that, but it's not exactly as you say. You can grow all of your peppers together, but hot peppers polinating mild peppers, do not give you fruit that same year with more or less heat. But, the seeds will create plants the next year that will have more or less heat. This years fruit was predetermined to be a certain heat level by last year's pollination.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
I'm a seed saver, that's why cross pollination is on my radar. Have found that by letting the peppers go thirsty that years fruit seems to have more heat.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If you are looking for something to do with eggplant, here is a suggestion. Cut them into 1/2 to 3/4 inch round slices, skin and all. Brush lightly with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and grill them over wood or charcoal (I prefer mesquite for a smoky flavor). They go great with steaks or chops. If I have any left over, I turn them into babaganoush or babagahummus.

Status
Not open for further replies.