PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Supposedly from India, the Shandy is a mix of beer and soda. I'm not sure what is mixed

in India, but it was recommended to me at the NC coast with ingredients like clear soda,

or orange soda, and the beer of your choice. You can make your own delightful (or not)

concoctions depending on what you mix. They are a nice cooling alternative to just beer,

a little more thirst quenching and less bloating, with a little more character than just soda.

I rarely make them, so take that for what it's worth.

Aug 1, 2012
Shandy, radler and other names can either be a waste of good beer or a nice, refreshing change of pace. It tends to work best with a light lager or a Bavarian style wheat beer.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
According to Monty Python, "John Stuart Mill, of his own free will, with a half-a-pint of shandy was particularly ill...". :D
A number of bars that I've been to lately are experimenting with mixed drinks based on beer - shandies are among the classics. Some work better than others, though - be forewarned.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Beer and ginger ale around here. Canada Dry is a must, usually a lighter lager works best, or any American beer in a pinch! :nana:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, I think dark strong-flavored beer would be pretty heavy going with any soda. Urp.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Yep I'm with BrDavidson a Shandy to me is Canada Dry Ginger Ale and Beer usually something light.

Dec 24, 2012
I have no idea what a shandy is in my neck of the woods because I have never ordered one and wouldn't hang around anyone who would.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It was originally known as a shandygaff in England. Probably because it was first concocted as a drunken gaff.
Shandygaff
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shandygaff?show=0&t=1381191467

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
In Ontario Canada a Shandy is typically a woman's drink. I generalize because I am sure there are men that enjoy them too but usually its for women who are trying to get into beer.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I was born in Hull and thought Shandy was from Yorkshire. I guess I am provincial. It was always beer and lemonade.I never heard of using sodas.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
My mom likes Shandys but for me are just a waste of tasty beer. I don't put sodas in whiskey either.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Good timing, I was at my brothers for a party Saturday night. One of my old HS buddies was talking to another friend about Leinenkugels Summer Shandy. He said he never cared for fruity bears but really like this. I mentioned that I also hate fruit in my beer so he offered me one. I took one sip and almost spit it out. I didn't want to offend him, so I pretended to sip at it occasionally. When the opportunity came up, I used it to water one of my brothers bushes. Beer and lemonade, not for this kid.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Remember wine coolers? But we won't do a thread on that. Please. Better forget wine coolers.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
I may of one or two over the summer. For me it consists of a hoppy IPA and a spicy Jamaican ginger beer. The lemonade does not sound appealing at all.

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Shandys' are what you drink when you drank "many" beers all day, it's 2 in the morning, you can't sleep, there're more mosquitoes inside than out, it's hot and sticky, you need to go for a walk AND, you drank all the good beer already. Try Leinenkugels, beer with lemon essence.

Status
Not open for further replies.