PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've never been able to keep a diary, but for some reason I began keeping a tobacco journal ever since I first started with the pipe, back in 1980. If you only smoke a handful of blends, there's probably little need. But I've always enjoyed exploring a wide range of blends and styles. And it's interesting to go back and see what I wrote about a particular blend when I was a fairly ignorant beginner (Example: My total description of Balkan Sobranie: "Rich, English-style non-aromatic; heady aroma"!) and compare it to how I'm tasting blends these days. I also love the fact that my memory of so many "lost" blends has been preserved in this journal.
Whenever I open a new-to-me blend, I note the blender/blend in my journal, along with the date and any relevant/fun facts about the tin (the age, where I picked it up, etc.). I also give each blend a number, so I always have a running total of how many blends I've tried. Then after I've had about 10 bowls, I just write a paragraph or two about what I think. Sometimes I mention the weather or if I'm traveling; it's nice to look back at a blend and remember that I first tried it while away on a trip to Denver, or whatever.
BTW, I do all of this in longhand, in a notebook I inherited from my father. (It's the only handwritten thing I do.) The only thing I don't like about this is seeing how badly my handwriting has deteriorated over the last 30 years!
This might be too anal-retentive for some of you, I know. ;) But I thought it was worth mentioning, especially since I find myself frequently rereading it and referring to it when I'm recommending blends here.
Bob

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
This might be too anal-retentive for some of you, I know. But I thought it was worth mentioning, especially since I find myself frequently rereading it and referring to it when I'm recommending blends here.
hehe. I know just what you mean. I have one - except it's in database form.
I have a general search field and a menu of various topics, such as pipes, tobacco, etc etc. I also have all of the pipes I've purchased, including dates, price paid, and a photo.
I know this is going over board for most people, but it's the way I am. The good part about it is in just a couple of seconds I am able to look up any tobacco and remind myself what I paid and what I thought of it. I've tried too many now to keep track of any other way.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am like Rain Man when it comes to blends I have tried and what I thought of them. I am also the same way with sports statistics. I cannot tell you what I did three days ago, but I can remember what I paid for a tin back in 2001 and if I liked it or not. I am far too lazy to keep a journal or data base. When I had my huge cigar collection, I was also able to commit to memory where I bought a cigar, what I paid for it and I even remember the exchange rate if it was in British Pounds or Spanish Pesetas or Swiss Francs. I do amaze myself at times because my short term memory is for crap.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I tried to do this but i didnt stick with it. But i have recorded every pipe i've purchased, the date, where i bought it and how much. Thats a bit of a scary number at this point.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
never do it for software but do keep a spreadsheet for hardware.. pipes, guns, bamboo rods, fly reels, electronics. The usual stuff like where/when/$$$/serial number, I also link a scanned receipt and a picture

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Nothing for pipes, but do have over 60 years (grandfather started it then dad now me) of Fishing Journals. Weather, Date, Time, Conditions, and the like. Slowly getting them typed up. Seriously when I move these journals take their own 2 suitcases. I really should start that for tobaccos.

bronxbill

Lurker
Dec 10, 2012
Been smoking a pipe since the early 1960's; never kept a journal or wrote anything down. Probably should have, I can't even remember what I used to smoke in those days other than Carter Hall or Prince Albert. I know I smoked those because I worked for RJ Reynolds in those days and got them for free.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
Jud said:

"I started doing one in 2003, when I picked up the pipe again after years of nothing but cigars."
I've had a similar experience; I alternated pipes and Habanos for over 30 years, and maintained dedicated cigar journals. There was room to paste the cigar ring, detail the cigar and describe the occasion. When I browse through the journals every so often, it's nice to see a tangible souvenier that conjures up memories. So the idea of a pipe journal is an appealing one, although I wonder just what you could paste in it! :puffy:

cedeks

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2012
I only keep a spreadsheet of my pipes with basic info: name, date of purchase, dimensions, bowl size, weight, type of tobacco, etc... but nothing for tobacco. Although I tend to read reviews from tobaccoreviews.com before trying any new blend. Having different opinions helps in having good idea about what to expect. If the blend is worth or really bad I add my review there so I can check it out later...

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
smokeybear:
My journal isn't based around any kind of ratings system. It's a narrative. At the risk of boring you, here's an example from my journal of a complete entry, this one for Presbyterian Mixture:
===================
77. Presbyterian Mixture (2/2007)

I don't think I've ever had to experiment so much to bring out the true character of a blend. But with effort, this one came alive.
The mental picture brought to mind here is one of -- to play off the name -- dark walnut pews and deep, worn curtains.
Initial flame brings wafting dark orientals to the fore, with a toasted kind of tangy bitterness that I really liked. Midway through, the equally toasty-tasting Virginias duck in and out, never overtaking the orientals completely but sometimes melding with them. Near the end, the orientals again dominate, with a slightly bitter, slighty sooty finish.
It took work, though. As tinned, the blend is quite moist, and it benefits from 15-20 minutes of drying. It's also very choosy about how it's packed. Recent Pease blends have got me in the habit of packing tightly, but that won't work here. Even with a lighter-than-usual pack, this one refused to a be a 3-match smoke -- requiring 4 or even 5 lights to finish off the bowl.
While I very much appreciated the orientals, I do miss somewhat the interplay of orientals with latakia, of which there is only the slightest presence here. Even so, Presbyterian offers an interesting contrast to the brighter orientals typical of the Pease Balkans [which I had been smoking a lot at this time].
(The above was based on roughly six bowls, in a Comoy bent and a Castello straight. Of these two pipes, the Castello yielded the more flavorful smoke.)
====================
Not all of my entries are that expansive! Sometimes, it's just a couple of sentences. But when I'm in the mood, I give each blend whatever space I feel it calls for. And it's even okay if I get pretentious or overly poetic; after all, this is just for me.
Bob

Aug 14, 2012
I have never kept adequate records of anything. But some guys keep books like that about women. And probably some women keep such records as well. Just imagine some of their entries: "Likes expensive restaurants but is boring." "Stay away, a total animal." "Not as stupid as he looks, but smells bad." "Cheap schmuck. Took me to McDonald's." :D

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I keep a spreadsheet on every tank of gas I put in my vehicle. I know exactly how much MPG I am getting. Also I have 20 years of Quicken data.
Winton

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Reminds me of wine. Perhaps I can be a tobacco snob:
"A blend of no particular pedigree, but I was amused by it's pretention. While of little long term significance to the gentleman, It may impress if only for it's gumption in the face of unfortunate breeding."

Status
Not open for further replies.