PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisfranklin

Lurker
Mar 17, 2015
Greece
I used to smoke cigarettes and stil do now and then. I always inhaled the smoke and found it pretty damn pleasing. I have switched to pipes and I still do inhale the smoke, still getting a normal -compared to cigars- "buzz" out of it and the sense of relaxation. My question to you guys is, do you inhale or do you puff your pipe? If you do puff your pipe how does it work for you, do you still like get the feeling of relaxation out of it?

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I never inhale. Pipe smoke is more alkaline than cigarette smoke, and you will absorb the nicotine from your saliva. It is a slower uptake than from an inhale, so there is not the instant gratification that comes from lighting a cigarette, but you will achieve a good nicotine level. Not inhaling is one of the things that makes pipe smoking safer than cigarette smoking.

I had a friend that was a cigarette smoker who tried a pipe. He said he didn't see how you could get ant nicotine without inhaling, so I loaded a pipe with Royal Yacht, a fairly stout smoke which is my favourite, and had him smoke it without inhaling. He actually got so much nicotine that he got the hiccups and felt nauseas. You will get plenty of nicotine without inhaling if you pick the right tobacco. I even get a little too much smoking some of the rope tobaccos like Gawith Hoggarth Brown Bogie.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
You will learn to enjoy pipe tobacco MORE when you learn to smoke it for taste and only retro hale which passes the smoke through your nasal passages directly from your mouth. You also achieve nicotine via the mucosa in your mouth.

When I switched to a pipe from cigs, I used the roll your own tobacco I had on hand for about a week, and inhaled every puff. I was happy not to be smoking paper.

Then I realized that this wasn't all that pleasurable either and began to investigate pipe smoking online.

Once I acquired a few good pipe tobacco blends I learned how to smoke w/o inhaling and still get my nic.

I might slightly inhale once in awhile, accidentally, but it's no big deal and it isn't a deep inhale when it happens..

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Pipe smoking is about flavor, enjoyment, and relaxation. I have no taste buds in my lungs, so I see no need or benefit to inhaling. Never have inhaled, and never will.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
As stated, if you're inhaling then you're losing the flavor. If you're looking for high nicotine blends to get the kick then give Peterson's Irish Flake or Sam Gawaith's 1792 a go.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
I actually just finished an entire class in which I spent the whole thing researching pipes compared to cigarettes psychologically and physically. Based on the average mortality ratios, pipes are typically 2.5% more potent than not smoking, and cigarettes are about 202% more potent than not smoking at all.
But that is referring to moderate pipe smoking, no more than 1-3 bowls a day and VERY little to more than likely no inhalation at all. In one of the studies I researched, inhalation can increase the overall mortality ration from 1.04 to numbers like 3.0 or even as high as 5.0, which is MUCH more dangerous. Alot of that has to do with the lack of a filter in most pipes and the higher alkalinity of the smoke, making it a little more volatile.
Some find it pleasurable, but honestly a pipe is only ever so slightly safer than a cigarette when switching over if you still inhale. I joined the hobby to enjoy the flavor, the relaxation. I'm one of those who only smoke no more than once, MAYBE twice a week, and my studies have alot to do with that!
If any of you would like to see my research, please let me know! I'd definitely enjoy sharing it.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Yeah I'd never inhale. And to smoke a pipe just for the nic hit loses the point of what it is. Might as well keep smoking cigarettes.
Not to mention you vastly increase the risk of lung cancer.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
No inhaling for me (at least not intentionally, lol). I find smoking my pipe is incredibly relaxing - I don't need to inhale it in order to enjoy it. But I have also never smoked cigarettes, so my outlook will inevitably be different from yours.

As I began transitioning from cigarettes to pipes, I did inhale a little, just to get that lung sensation, but as I started to smoke more for flavor, I stopped. I do find that when I am clenching and focused on doing something else the smoke works its way down my throat, so that when I remove the pipe to say something, smoke comes out as I talk as if I did inhale. But, I don't think it's making it way all the way to my lungs.
I have also started running in the early hours of morning, before my first pipe. But, it took me a year to get totally void of inhaling. But, once you get free of the lung-full need, I would suggest exercise to help get your lungs back into shape. Just my $0.02. Just don't jog with the pipe. I always ended up bouncing the ashes into my face, ha ha!!

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I do not inhale at all outside the occasional retrohale and what I may be breathing from the surrounding air.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't intentionally inhale with a pipe, nor do I pass the smoke through my nasal passages. If you smoke a pipe, you inhale a certain amount of pipe smoke, so I don't want to amplify that affect. Pipe smoking is an indulgence, and it does not promote physical health, although there may be some psychological benefits of the relaxation and contemplative mode of pipe smoking. The social connection promoted by pipe smoking also has distinct benefits, especially for men who aren't innately gregarious. Boy, that all sounds a little stark. I suggest you wean yourself from inhaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.