PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Do you have a particular pipe you use when you're traveling away from home? If so, what are it's characteristics? I'll be going on a trip for a couple of weeks and am trying to figure out which pipe and tobaccos I'll bring. Maybe I'll bring 2 so I can have one for latakia blends. Just wondering what you all do/think.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I just bring one pipe. And the VaPer of my choice. In most instances traveling seems to inhibit smoking for me. Last trip and took the Eltang Cutty safely packed in the middle of my carry on.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
What do you keep your pipes and tobacco in? Have you traveled internationally with pipes and tobacco?

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I pack the both in plastic bags. The pipe goes in the middle well passed by clothing. The tobacco goes in an outside pocket in case they want to look. So far, they have always wanted to look.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Depends on where I'm traveling to and why. I have a waterproof box that holds two Falcon stems and 3 bowls, pipe nail and a few cleaners. That is my camping/fishing kit. For vacations I have an old padded pistol case that holds 3 or 4 pipes with a zippered pouch on the outside for tool, lighter, and cleaners.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Yes, a durable cob and as much Royal Yacht as I can carry. Alternatively: Prince Albert and Five Brothers makes for a great smoke!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm always surprised at how little pipe smoking I do when I travel. When I plan a trip, I visualize myself stepping out on a balcony with a view of the shore, puffing gently on a tasty blend and surveying the scene. Instead, usually I am headed to the car, train, or plane, and hustling luggage, and doing or seeing whatever is on the agenda. Smoking is an afterthought, and frequently consigned to a hedge or bench adjacent to a parking lot or other less than ideal place. Nonetheless, I nearly always select at least three or four pipes to take along, including one cob and at least several briars, usually mostly mid-size, and mid- or lower-price, maybe one smaller bowl for shorter smokes. Likewise, I'll take along at least two or three blends, an already open tin or two, and maybe a pouch and or plastic bag as well, along with matches and some of my older, less treasured pipe tools, and pipe cleaners (always more than I'd need). Here's a list of likely suspect pipes: Kaywoodie author Ruff-Tone; PTM Greek red stain straight briar pot; Yello-Bole straight panel billiard Checker; Jerry Perry handcarved bent billiard (risking the artisan pipe is an indulgence); MM diplomat cob with Forever stem. I tend to use a Walmart nylon shaving kit as a pipe case, instead of a lovely leather Savinelli case, to discourage theft. I use a bandana for padding and to buff the pipes. All this said, I would consider taking one of my major pipes for a special situation where I was sure I'd have time and place to smoke; I'd risk it if the circumstances promised a great situation. When I've visited Queens, NY, at the home of a couple whose male partner is an avid pipe smoker, I'll take along at least two better big-bowled pipes, including one that is a gift from this couple. Special situation where we smoke in the living room.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Good idea on the Wal-mart case. For me, it's one pipe and one tin. But lots of pipe cleaners and matches.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Due to the limited amount I smoke I have culled the heard down to 12 briars and 1cob. At this point even the less expensive pipes I have are all older, great smokers. I generally take the Eltang because I like it a lot and it loved VaPers. I would be sad if it got damaged but then even

My late 80's Barling would make me sad.
Damn the consequences and take the pipe you want. That's how I feel.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I like the walmart shaving kit idea as well. Probably a safer alternative than an old pistol case where the tsa is concerned.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
I think I'll be bringing this lil guy next time... a hair over 3" tall. Anyone ever see this brand before? Bakelite(?) and bone tenoned.
0fFaEqv.jpg

NXDI2li.jpg

93P6Kpv.jpg

ej6AvnI.jpg

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
If I'm in the great outdoors then I'll take a falcon. I not all that keen on their looks but they smoke fantastically, are unbreakable and the fact you can carry one stem and several bowls means they're very portable and practical.
If I want something more distinguished then I've got a handful of shorter and lighter pipes that pop easily into a pocket.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OP-
I may put some pipes in their sleeves, may not. Tobacco goes in one pouch, the rest in thick double bags (plastic). One day I may get elaborate, but not for a while.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I think it depends on where I'm going; you said 2 weeks so I assume you're planning on a couple of ounces of 2-3 varieties. So that lends itself as posted here for a small shaving kit size bag. If I were going fishing/camping and something that if lost would be hard to replace, a few cobs and the usual "disposable" accessories such as a couple pipe nails, box matches and cleaners.
For shorter day/weekend trips, I have a Bradley Mountain wax canvas pipe roll and will just pack my favorites assuming I have reasonable security on it's where abouts. Best use for me is car show events where the packable roll is an easy carry.

Jun 4, 2014
No special travel pipes. I usually pack a cob or two and my roll up pouch. I have a small rectangular Rubbermaid container that two pipes, my roll pouch, cleaners, a tamper and matches all fit in nicely into. I stuff it in my bag and am ready to go. I have to agree with MSO about how little I too seem to smoke when I travel, it never seems to be the right time or the right place. The only exception being is when we go camping. Sitting next to an open fire is the perfect time to partake in a pipe, and since I keep the matches in my pipe box its the perfect excuse.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...I've said before, the only TSA airport x-ray problem I've had was with a harmonica which, because of the little channels lined up with the reeds (usual Hohner harmonica), as it went through the x-ray it looked like a pistol clip. I was sent quickly on my way before I could demonstrate my musical talents or lack thereof.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking I'll travel with a couple of cobs and one of my smaller briars for short smokes. Some sort of air tight container to hold them + a selection tobacco seems a good way to go though having the tobacco handy in case TSA is curious and wants to have a look see is a good idea as well.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
When I plan a trip, I visualize myself stepping out on a balcony with a view of the shore, puffing gently on a tasty blend and surveying the scene. Instead, usually I am headed to the car, train, or plane, and hustling luggage, and doing or seeing whatever is on the agenda.
Wow MSO, you absolutely nailed almost every trip I've been on since I started this hobby. I do a lot of traveling and I ALWAYS think I'll be sitting out on a balcony--in fact, I when booking hotel or airBnB reservations I always make sure to try and get one with a balcony so I can smoke my pipe. And I never smoke near as much as I think I will for the very points you made.
I bring an old Jobey pipe dedicated to aromatics (since I'll be around more people) and a a few cobs for Lakelands, English, and VaPers. I also usually bring pouched tobacco since it's lighter and packs flat. I really like the idea of a a Walmart shaving kit bag as a travel case. However, I also like the photos of some of these travel cases from a thread posted two years ago:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/what-do-you-carry-your-pipes-in

Status
Not open for further replies.