PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Good morning gents! I was just working through planning a trip to my wife's hometown for a wedding. It seems one of her best friends is getting married, so we've decided to drive to Des Moines, IA from NC and back. It's actually cheaper than flying and renting a car. I wanted to take something with me to smoke after the ceremony to celebrate the occasion. I'm not looking for like an albino here, just something very tasty, maybe even a little pricey that would be a very good, celebration smoke. So it got me thinking, is there something in your stash that you only smoke on special occasions or maybe something that you bought intentionally for some special occasion? I just think I'd like to smoke something that I'm sure I'll remember to mark the day down in memory.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have some McClelland Christmas Cheer 2017 jarred up that I am not saving per se, but using sparingly.
1ce12286a2d3ecc07738.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I read a little about that one. Seems the tobacco was grown for that one right here in NC, over in New Hope, which is a little west and south of me in Raleigh. Very cool. Sounds like it was a nice blend too.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Nice, well I have come too late to the game for any McC's blends for the most part. Then I just saw a post that was started a while ago about Rattray's Exotic Orange that had me wiping my chin off. It sounds delicious and would be a perfect summer blend since I do love me some citrus and the smell of oranges, but alas, everyone appears to be sold out of that too.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I do have a couple of tins of Mephisto than I get into when I get in the mood, but at over 200 pounds of tobacco in the cellar, and heavily McClelland stocked, I just smoke whatever strikes my mood at the given moment.
Then I just saw a post that was started a while ago about Rattray's Exotic Orange
A couple of entertaining threads about that one.
A Gift From Mrs. Embers
Three Oranges

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
1983 McCranie's red flake. It was the first pipe tobacco I smoked and responsible for my proclivity to Virginias. I have very little left :-(

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Damn Embers...sure is one helluva woman to present you with a gift of that caliber. Looks like it was a fantastic stash of it! I reckon I'll have to put my name in the hat on all the sites that have it out of stock, but will notify once available again. I think that might just be right up my alley for an all year smoke. I love the smell of oranges. Hell, I buy those chocolate oranges every Christmas and demolish them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Do I smoke specific blends for special occasions? Interesting question. I thought about it. No, I don't. I think my pipe, a bowl or two a day, sometimes none, is the special occasion on most days when things are busy but not special occasions. Then a blend that is not in my rotation but that I throughly enjoy can be a real special treat.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have some older tins that I am saving for a special occasion but that is it. All of the rest of my cellar is smoked on a regular basis with no special occasions for specific blends. Some of my older blends are 2002 Solani 633, 2004 Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, 2006 Best Brown Flake, 2007 Stonehaven, 2008 Escudo, 2008 Astleys 109 to name a few. I smoke them when the mood strikes and that is fairly often.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I always have a jar of Frog Morton Cellar, not because I particularly like it, but because the first time I had it was three years ago when my family moved into the home that we intended to turn into a homestead and farm and stay forever. I popped that tin after the closing. It has been refilled, but it was jarred and saved for special occasions thereafter. Now that I cannot refill that jar, it is especially saved for especially special occasions these days.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
With the change in production of Condor to Poland, I've kept jarred and in reserve the few long cut flakes and 1/2 a plug of the old Condor. At 75 every day is special, but on really special days (birthday and anniversary) I break out a flake and fire it up...trying to enjoy that old Condor flavor.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Certain blends are revered, yes. I smoke out of bags, so if it's tinned, it's likely something I feel is 'worthy'.

Escudo and JKP are on my shelf awaiting combustion. I just opened a tin of Marlin Flake I'd been aging for more than 3 yrs.

Many more could earn a place, but, I find buying tins extravagant.

I smoke my bulk flakes less often than my ribbon and crimp cut blends. That's 'special'.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I read a little about that one. Seems the tobacco was grown for that one right here in NC, over in New Hope, which is a little west and south of me in Raleigh. Very cool. Sounds like it was a nice blend too.
its very very nice, even to my amateurish palette. If you ever have the chance to pick some up, and you like sweet Virginia's, go for it.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
At dinner each evening, my dad would eat his dessert first, then eat the main course. He would always say that we never know when God is going to call us home, so, just in case his time is very near, he enjoys the dessert first. I have that same attitude regarding my pipe smoking. I always smoke my favorite tobaccos and no others. Life is too short to do otherwise. (-:

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Whenever I feel like there is a special occasion, I pop open a tin of something I particularly like from the cellar (like royal yacht for example) or a tin of something I have bought with holding until the special occasion comes - no blend in particular though. For Christmas I always tend to open a sweet aromatic as well ... don't know why, just a habit that I have formed.

Status
Not open for further replies.