PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Like with everything else, be it cars to clothes, there are some people who just go for a certain brand name. My grandfather was a well known Ford only man for instance. I've seen certain people mention brand name pipes or certain artist pipes. Was just curious is it a big deal in the pipe world or not.
The only "brand" I can say that I know well and prefer is Missouri Meerschaum

I like their history and I guess it's a southern country boy thing to be drawn to corncob pipes haha

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I could care less about the brand name as long it looks like a Peterson bent system pipe :)

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I don't buy based on the name of the pipe but go for the look that attracts me, wh8ch, like bassbug, is Peterson. In fact, if you check Mark Irwin's most recent blog post about the new pipes a coming, you'll see some nice ones. Really like the brass ferrules on this year's Christmas pipe.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
If I'm buying an estate, I'd rather it be a Comoy or GBD from the "old days" in the 60's or 70's.

mnewb1

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2018
I’ve been buying estates and so far have liked, Ben Wade, GBD, Stanwell, and Vauen

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Not because I think that they smoke better or have better craftsmanship, I really like old Charatans a lot. I like the shapes and the way they feel in my hands.
I also like Musico pipes a lot. They are so sturdy for a lightweight pipe. Unbeatable fit and finish. They are also reasonably priced compared to some Italian makers.
Missouri Meerschaums feel perfect clenched between my teeth and I like how cool they smoke.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Know what you mean, pepe'; those brands & that era are faves of mine too. Nightmair, to answer your question, I think like a lot of things pipe, it's all individual. Some of us find a brand(s) that seem to consistently please us, & then we stick with them, & other guys I've known couldn't find you more than two of the same brand in their collections if their lives depended on it! I've got half a dozen brands I swear by, & any of those'd be first to go into my pocket just on general principles. But I've also got a few other brands I only have one or two of that I'd grab first just depending on my mood that day (BBB, Barling, T. Cristiano, etc.).
So in short (too late!!) I think for most of us, it's just whatever we like at the moment. JMOVHO, YMMV.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I stuck with Castello exclusively the first few years. I promised myself that would be the only brand for me. I broke that promise :?

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Can't say anything about this. 3 pipes that I own have different brand. So let me answer it in a next few years :D

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, there is a brand that I like. It's called Bar.., Bar-something or other. Barmitzvah? No, that doesn't seem right. Uhhhh...maybe...Barling? Anyway, it a pretty good make and I have a couple of them. They're kind of old, too. My oldest one is from 1872, which is, like, uhhh...146 years old. I have some other old Barling pipes. I wish I could afford a new pipe, but I guess I'll just have to make due with these:
1872 Magnum

4mSbg1c.jpg

1882 wind cap

iJpeyRe.jpg

1907 companion set - unsmoked

hzZwztQ.jpg

Yeah, I know, these are old. Sorry.
I have some other pipes that I also like, like this Castello:
Occhio di Pernice

Qdq441c.jpg

But someday I'm going to get a real good pipe like this one:

knc8giY.jpg

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I like Nording and Savinelli for new purchases, and Comoy for estates. I usually only go for old english estate pipes, as in pre 1960. Comoy are the only brand I can afford in that vintage!

Status
Not open for further replies.