banner

Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Do You Have a Pipe "Brand"?

(87 posts)
  1. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

Like with everything else, be it cars to clothes, there are some people who just go for a certain brand name. My grandfather was a well known Ford only man for instance. I've seen certain people mention brand name pipes or certain artist pipes. Was just curious is it a big deal in the pipe world or not.

The only "brand" I can say that I know well and prefer is Missouri Meerschaum
    I like their history and I guess it's a southern country boy thing to be drawn to corncob pipes haha

“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I could care less about the brand name as long it looks like a Peterson bent system pipe

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't buy based on the name of the pipe but go for the look that attracts me, wh8ch, like bassbug, is Peterson. In fact, if you check Mark Irwin's most recent blog post about the new pipes a coming, you'll see some nice ones. Really like the brass ferrules on this year's Christmas pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My main pipe brands are:

Missouri Meerschaum Cobs
    Falcon pipes
    Savinelli

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Castello, Castello, and Castello.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No one brand sticks out as well above the others. For most of the guys I know, it's not a big deal.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. derfatdutchman

derfatdutchman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The two brands I have in more than five pipes each are Peterson and Boswell.

"The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess, and there is no chance of getting more."
    Bismark
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had great experience with Rad Davis, Larrysson and Moretti. As far as factory pipes, hard to beat Castello.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I'm buying an estate, I'd rather it be a Comoy or GBD from the "old days" in the 60's or 70's.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. mnewb1

mnewb1

Login to Send PM

I’ve been buying estates and so far have liked, Ben Wade, GBD, Stanwell, and Vauen

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Vauen.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not because I think that they smoke better or have better craftsmanship, I really like old Charatans a lot. I like the shapes and the way they feel in my hands.

I also like Musico pipes a lot. They are so sturdy for a lightweight pipe. Unbeatable fit and finish. They are also reasonably priced compared to some Italian makers.

Missouri Meerschaums feel perfect clenched between my teeth and I like how cool they smoke.

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Bruce Weaver, Savinelli, and Don Carlos.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Know what you mean, pepe'; those brands & that era are faves of mine too. Nightmair, to answer your question, I think like a lot of things pipe, it's all individual. Some of us find a brand(s) that seem to consistently please us, & then we stick with them, & other guys I've known couldn't find you more than two of the same brand in their collections if their lives depended on it! I've got half a dozen brands I swear by, & any of those'd be first to go into my pocket just on general principles. But I've also got a few other brands I only have one or two of that I'd grab first just depending on my mood that day (BBB, Barling, T. Cristiano, etc.).

So in short (too late!!) I think for most of us, it's just whatever we like at the moment. JMOVHO, YMMV.

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looking at the pipe rack I can see older Petersons dominate.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I stuck with Castello exclusively the first few years. I promised myself that would be the only brand for me. I broke that promise

Neal
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peterson

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. artificialme

artificialme

Login to Send PM

Can't say anything about this. 3 pipes that I own have different brand. So let me answer it in a next few years

Adhie was here
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Well, there is a brand that I like. It's called Bar.., Bar-something or other. Barmitzvah? No, that doesn't seem right. Uhhhh...maybe...Barling? Anyway, it a pretty good make and I have a couple of them. They're kind of old, too. My oldest one is from 1872, which is, like, uhhh...146 years old. I have some other old Barling pipes. I wish I could afford a new pipe, but I guess I'll just have to make due with these:

1872 Magnum

1882 wind cap

1907 companion set - unsmoked

Yeah, I know, these are old. Sorry.

I have some other pipes that I also like, like this Castello:

Occhio di Pernice

But someday I'm going to get a real good pipe like this one:

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like Nording and Savinelli for new purchases, and Comoy for estates. I usually only go for old english estate pipes, as in pre 1960. Comoy are the only brand I can afford in that vintage!

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have six or more Savinelli, Peterson, Stanwell, Johs, Missouri Meerschaum, Nording and artisan Jerry Perry's. Some of my single pipe treasures are Ferndown, Ser Jacopo, Kemberling, among others.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don’t have favorite brand of pipe.
    When I go pipe shopping, it’s cause I got a wild hair for a certain shape.
    I have a Stanwell 32 cause it’s the best version of a straight bulldog I could afford.
    My Brebbia 602 is the best version of an author shape.
    My BriarWorks pipe is the quintessential bent pot.
    Same story for my Peterson and Savinelli pipes.

Except there’s no accounting for my two dozen MM cob pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have bounced around all over the pipe making world.

My two main brands are Ryan Alden and Older Petersons

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

At the moment MM is the dominate pipe brand in my small collection. I do have 2 that are made by a company called Fulushou which I know nothing about. I bought them online because they were briar and had good reviews. That's mostly what I go by is reviews on them and if I like the shape. That's basically how I came across MM. They had the best reviews and were recommended everywhere I looked.

Never bought an estate pipe, although I'd love to get ahold of one from the 1800s. Just for history sake.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I saw a Doin Carlos smooth on Synjeco for $300.00 very early on I almost had a stroke. Didn't help that my mentor was very frugal and completely destroyed my enthusiasm. Not long later I got a Cavicchi 3C billiard that yet was chambered like a Dublin. For awhile I looked at a lot of Cavicchi's until I tired of his Italian clunky shapes. Since then I didn't really look at brand but bought what was $150.00 or less that struck my fancy, most under $100.00.I felt I got the same value with these pipes that others feel they get from Castello, etc.

I heard that Todd Johnson's pipes are priced high because collectors liked his work early on. What I'm trying to say is that the prices a maker's pipes command is a subjective valuation despite that people who know pipes once pronounced someone's work quite fine. Is the subsequent work always up to that same standard, and who is to say that those who pronounced it did so based on criteria that other pipe people might apply.

In the end brand is myth. What matters is the pipe in hand and what one thinks of it, bearing in mind that the cheap quite likely smoke as good as the expensive.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. exbenedict

exbenedict

Login to Send PM

Like iris, I don’t really look at brands so much as shape and style and whether it smokes well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulfg

Login to Send PM

I prefer to buy in the Estate market and looking at my rack I see Barling's Make ,GBD, and Charatans above all else.
    In fact I have just sold 2 Castellos as I dont like the lucite bits and found the draw too open.
    I am now buying old Britwood only.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a small rotation, but no doubles. As a new pipe smoker you will be drawn to a certain pipes shape or grain before you are drawn to a name.

Jesse, I smile every time someone posts a pic of that guy. What a forum legend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stanwell

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  31. yaboofive

Richard Gonzalez

Login to Send PM

I am a fan of Randy Wiley Pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There was a great radio episode with Rick Newcombe about brand vs briar. Really worth checking it out.

My collection has evolved into just Petersons and American artisan carvers.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

>>"Bar-something or other" -- Sable, you lunatic, you kill me some days.

N'mair's question got me thinking (Dangerous, you may want to just run now to avoid the rush.) Totally off the top of my head here --

Pipes I've got more than 5 of (in no order): Comoy; GBD (old ones on both); Savinelli (Oh, God, DUHH, Bill!, like we didn't KNOW that!); Nording, CAMINETTO!!

Got at *least* 2 of: Barling; BBB; Stanwell; Hilson; Ascorti; Soren; Lorenzo (counting a marvelous giant Iwan Ries house billiard here); Jobey; God only knows, several others I can't call to mind right this hot second.

Pipes I only have 1 of but that I'd like to get more of: T. Cristiano; John Lakatosh; Peben Holm (counting this one since I just bought it); Brebbia; Morel; Orlik.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As my "collection" has increased, I've noticed that I tend to favor Savinelli's. Having said that, I also have 3 Boswells, 3 Rick Black Pipes, 2 Petersons and some other sundry brands.

Dave "Black Frigate Stowaway"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm still currently working on my pipe collection. Not very many at the moment. I have a couple of cobs, a briar that doesn't smoke the best, but hopefully I'll get something new soon. As far as how I'll likely shop in the future, I tend to be hung on certain shapes now, but I have no idea how I'll like them or even if I'll like them. So until I can pick up some nice briar pipes with different shapes, I'm just sort of winging it.

@sablebrush52 those are mighty fine Barlings, especially that one with the wind cap. I like those older models and having one of those from the 1800's would be really nice to have in a collection. Doubt I'll ever be lucky enough to snag one, but that would be a show piece smoked at home for me. Got to have goals in life, so I reckon I have a new one!

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

CCW if you want some briar pipes that are good, those Fulushou I mentioned earlier are briar and smoke really nice. You can find them on Amazon I know and a few pipe sites. They're not overly expensive so you're not taking a big risk there.

I like the look of Peterson and others but I can't afford those prices, not yet anyways haha. I have too many other hobbies to indulge

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

franklyn22

Login to Send PM

I have a variety of pipes in my collection but, by far, I prefer Dunhill. I have a lot of Dunhill pipes and I also have all the Dunhill accessories such as lighters, pouches, tampers, etc. I just love their stuff, I'm not sure why.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. tavol

tavol

Login to Send PM

40% of my pipes where made by Chris Askwith and 40% of my pipes are falcons. Quite a juxtaposition

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Were I to pick a brand, I tend to pick up really old or really new Kaywoodie pipes. But I also am apt to pick up Thorpe Pipes, Heisenberg Pipes, and Morgan Pipes. I have another brand, not one I collect, but one which I make. However, they are still not being sold as I continue to hone my skill; they go to friends for now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

40% of my pipes where made by Chris Askwith and 40% of my pipes are falcons. Quite a juxtaposition

I'll say!!

As to the below, I am sure it's true of the poster and most of us here. But not true as a blanket statement!

As a new pipe smoker you will be drawn to a certain pipes shape or grain before you are drawn to a name.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. pipefish

pipefish

Login to Send PM

Savinelli, Stanwell, Peterson; I especially like Savinelli pipes since they are consistently good smokers and usually based on some type of theme.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

opus777

Login to Send PM

I have to agree with tschiraldi, Castello!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. akfilm

akfilm

Login to Send PM

I have a favorite style, danish freehands, the bulk of my collection are danish freehands or finely carved meers. If there was a brand I could list that I have more pipe than any other, it would be Kirsten.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. mwsmoker

mwsmoker

Login to Send PM

Dunhill, Tinsky, Castello cover 90% with a little S. Bang and W.O. Larsen thrown in.

I have given away or sold many others to land on the 30 or so I consider keepers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. grumpyoltroll

grumpyoltroll

Login to Send PM

Very limited exposure to pipes as I only have a couple, however, my Pietenpauw really makes me consider only growing my collection with more of only Jean's work.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Boswell, Savinelli, Brigham, Peterson...In that order

John
    Posted 1 year ago #
  47. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At almost a year into the pipe, I'm scattered about, primarily functional factory pipes. I'm still grabbing new shapes and brands that I don't have, leaving no stone unturned, as far as my meager pipe budget will carry me.

Looking over my working stock, I see about 15 pipes.

New: BriarWorks Poker, Viking Classic Dublin, Falcon Meer lined bowl, Big Ben Dublin Churchwarden (occasional plaything), generic German basket pipe from P&C, Stanwell 86 Bent Pot, Stanwell 185

Estate: Todd Harris Morta Panel Lovat (My one "artisan"), Dunhill 90 Poker, Pre-Savinelli Rossi Squashed Tomato (aka "The Thing"), Savinelli 111KS Billiard, Savinelli 606KS Bent Billiard, Baraccini Apple (the "beater pipe"), Kaywoodie Carburetor "Slim" Billiard (the "Lakeland Burner")

With the exception of the Falcon, all are used and enjoyed regularly.

In the "strategic reserve" box are maybe that many more pipes that I've not yet tried, a mix of new and estates from as many shapes and makers as I stumble across. Stuff to look forward to some day, I guess, just like all the yet untried blends in the cellar.

So, that's the long winded answer, to say I have no brand. My secret to enjoying them all is to know before hand that each will be unique and require me to adapt my technique and tobacco to suit. If I tried to smoke them all the same way, I'd surely be disappointed with some. I don't ride my scooter the way I ride my big cruiser and I don't try to smoke my tiny poker the way I smoke my huge billiard.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  48. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Back in my day of active smoking- love love love Savinellis.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. rmpeeps

rmpeeps

Login to Send PM

A little over 1/2 of my pipes are from Mark Tinsky, and probably 90% of those are blasted by Rad.
    The remainder of my pipes include Dunhill, Barling, Ashton, Nording, Sasieni, Blakemar, and assorted others.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

CHACOM

Dot
    Posted 1 year ago #
  51. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

with a little S. Bang ... thrown in.

Lovely

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

I’m a sucker for a Sav
    Absolutely love them since I first stuck a 320 ks in my mouth
    My collection has grown since then but I still have a hard time straying from these pipes.
    Already have my eye on another ...

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  53. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Funny, ain't it, aro, how many people swear blind by Savs? Hardly ever hear anyone say something bad about them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. choch

choch

Login to Send PM

My sweet spot brands are vintage GBD and BBB estate pipes. The best smokers that I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

"I must point out that my rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking tobacco and also the drinking of alcohol before, after, and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."
    Winston Churchill, Said during lunch with Arab leader Ibn Saud, when he heard the king's religion forbade smoking and alcohol
    Posted 1 year ago #
  55. d4k23

d4k23

Login to Send PM

My repeat was from Karl Erik (I have 2, and only about 15 total). His pipes are beautiful, although one I have is a very finnicky smoker. Some days shes perfect, others I'm creating poke holes with my Czech tool to finish a bowl. Still reach for her more often than not though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. jndyer

jndyer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Savinelli's, Dr. Grabow, Mr. Brog, Stanwell, Missouri Meerschaum and Edwards' pipes make up almost equal portions of my rotation.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. anantaandroscoggin

anantaandroscoggin

Login to Send PM

Such august company of makers/carvers represented here!

The only pipes I have more than one of to a brand at present, are 6 Missouri Meerschaums, 4 Dr. Grabows, and 2 Jacobs both marked "10" but one smooth, the other rusticated. When I tried looking up Jacob briar pipes, all I could find was something about 19th century clay pipes of a very bearded face with many, many variations.

Ananta Androscoggin

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. mwsmoker

mwsmoker

Login to Send PM

@choch - The first pipes I bought when I started smoking (after a drugstore Grabow) were GBD and BBB estates. They formed the bulk of my collection for a couple years. While I don’t own any today, I developed a real appreciation for how well they smoked while being so affordable and available. Now, I think the secret is out and that horse has left the barn, but I used to be able to buy them for less than $10 each consistently, and occasionally get a whole rack of 5 or 6 for less than $20.

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. tonypuff

tonypuff

Login to Send PM

Love me a Nording and my goto pipes are usually Missouri Meerschaum, Brigham or Savinelli

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The consensus is no: not one favorite brand. Couple of exceptions, all good.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. bambam

bambam

Login to Send PM

I like my Molina Pipes, not sure what it is about them I like so much whether it is the way they smoke, the way they look, the way they feel when I hold them or clench them or there affordability.

Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.
    (Robert Kennedy)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  62. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All great reasons! Can you post a photo or three of your favorites?

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peterson. They have been the only constant brand in all my time of pipe smoking.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  64. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

Peterson first , followed ny Nording.

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Too many great pipe makers, No one brand sticks out as well above the others.

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My two favorite brands were Dunhill and Lasse Skovgaard. The Lasses are great smokes, beautifully hand made and were of extraordinary briar. The Dunhills are very very good smokes distinguished by their predictability. Two of them of the same size shape and finish smoke identically, so you know in advance what you are getting. Dunhills have a distinctive taste from other pipes, and I prefer them to all others. I cannot explain why the taste is distinctive. It is said they are no longer oil cured. Have had about 160 of them, now down to about 83.

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. cohibajoe

cohibajoe

Login to Send PM

Too many great pipe makers, No one brand sticks out as well above the others.

+1...If I like what I see....I will Buy It!!! And since Fathers Day is soon...the wife said spend $500
    for your next pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

the wife said spend $500
    for your next pipe.

She got a sister?

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rad Davis, Brian Ruthenberg, Bruce Weaver, Trever Talbot are some of my favorite artisan pipe makers.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  70. User has not uploaded an avatar

usmcpiper03

Login to Send PM

I have a Paronelli that I loved until I recently got a Savanelli and Nording. I also have a Merehaum pipe I got overseas but I’d say my favorite smoker is the Nording. I wasn’t sure how
    I’d like it as it is not traditional rustication I normally gravitate too, but it has grown on me. With how well it smokes I can see more Nordings showing up in my pipe collection. I hope they all smoke as good as the Valhalla 306.

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   shayde, pappymac, pipingfool, gandalfspipe, gatorlope, jaytex969, husky, cshubhra, mawp, gerryp, verporchting