PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
:laughat: Ok let the jibes begin...
I am curious. In the past and relative recent past mentioned in the "What'cha Smokin'" string that I occasionally smoke dottle.
My preference is the dottle from G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight.
I have also mentioned that I am selective about the dottle that I keep/dry/then smoke.
My question/curiosity is:
Am I the only person on the planet that smokes dottle?

If not, then what are your proceedures for accumulating/drying/selecting your dottle.
An aside:

I get some perverse pleasure from the fact that the phrase "Dottle Diggers" when a Google search produces the this after telling it that Dottle is not a mistake.
:puffy:

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Sometimes ,well hardley ever do I smoke to the bottom of the bowl and leave a fine white ash . Those liitle morsels of unsmoked tobacco ,laden with the tar and unburned sugars are quite tasty . Waste not want not . Instead of thowing it out save the unburned morsels for later in a ziplock bag . Everybody plays with thier tobacco . Sort it as you see fit . I find it works best with English or Balkin blends .

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Well, Sherlock Holmes liked to smoke dottle. I do on occasion because I just don't like to waste tobacco. I have an open tin that put it in and let it dry out then puff away when its ready. I believe Sherlock put it in a Persian slipper by the fire to dry. :puffpipe:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Igloo I keep mine in an old Half and Half can.

I usually smoke it in my MM Cobwarden with a strong cup of coffee in the AM for the very reasons you stated above.

Those liitle morsels of unsmoked tobacco ,laden with the tar and unburned sugars are quite tasty . Waste not want not.

What a way to start the day, or shut it down.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
I do it too i stash it in a old erinmore tin and just let it build up waste not want not imo

Great minds think alike :lol:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Funny you should mention that. I sometimes stir up the last bit, tamp it down, give it a judicious blast from my lighter while puffing and smoke it up. I always called it "dottling" but had no idea that's what it really was. Incidentally, if I ever had my own B&M store I'd name it "Tamp and Dottle". Seems catchy and I thought of it a long time ago. We must have some radar love going on this board or something.

nzpiper

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2011
The great thing about my "tar-jar", as I call it (I keep mine in an old preserve jar sans the rubber seal), I've found, is that the flavour is forever changing, not too unlike my jar of leftover baccys.

In case you wondered - no, there's never ANY leftover 1Q - I smoke it ALL! :D

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I didnt know people did that but I might just start, sounds interesting. I love this site I learn something new everyday.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
OK! So I've learned that I should at least try the dottle...and maybe I try too hard to smoke to the bottom cuz I almost always hit the bottom with a flame if it went out. I had the idea that if I didnt smoke it all I was wasting baccy and not caking properly! Until I actually try to save and smoke it I'm going to say that it sounds a little gross. Well, Im off to turn over the toaster so I can make me a bowl of Toaster Leavins :rofl:

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
I asa most save it in a Jar for later smoking pleasure, my uncle used to save his in a jar then break out the old rolling papers and roll it into a cigarette, that is the hardcore way of doing the Dottle.....

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
oh yeah--me too--if it was good enough for SH it's good enough for me--like everyone else i hate to waste tobacco with PA approaching $50 a tub locally--

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Personally, I don't bother with my dottle - usually there isn't enough to fret about when I tip the bowl, and if there is a goodly sized wad of unburnt tobacco, well so be it.
I believe Sherlock put it in a Persian slipper by the fire to dry.

His dottle was simply left on the mantle to dry overnight; the illustrious Black Shag was kept in the Persian slipper.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
His dottle was simply left on the mantle to dry overnight; the illustrious Black Shag was kept in the Persian slipper.
That's what I thought.
Thanks Guys, this string is doing much better than I thought it would.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Schmitzbitz, thanks for the corrections. You know what this means? It's been too long since I've read Sherlock Holmes, time to light up a pipe and break out the old canon. :puffpipe:

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
If any of you have an e-reader, I believe I have the complete Holmes collection in digital form. I'll have to dig around on my drive, but I am sure I can produce a compressed (zipped) file of it for emailing.
Errr, come to think of copyrights and all, forget I said that *wink wink* *nudge nudge*

Status
Not open for further replies.