PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Cellar. I doubt prices will go down, and for sure regulation/taxes could really slam availability. Aged tins seem to go up in value and will at least hold their own investment wise.Then there is the benefit of aging, tobaccos generally improve with age. No matter how I consider it, cellar/aging makes much sense.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I cellar and smoke. Always try to order more than I smoke so I can slowly build up my cellar. :puffy:

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Smoke. I've got 2 jobs, debt to pay down, a car to maintain...it just wouldn't be responsible of me to tie up too much cash in one hobby. Once all of my other obligations have been met I'll think about it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I usually order 10 tins. Keep 2 out to gradually smoke, the remaining 8 are put up to age.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Not enough coin to cellar.. smoke what I have and buy more when it's nearly gone. I find buying a few 25 gram pouches to try and a good 50 gram tin of a popular one to try (untill I find my true 'go to') lasts long enough for me to decide if I like them and to get a modest variety to mix things up depending on my pallet. Sadly, my favoured dark cherry aromtics are starting to give my tongue bother.. so I may have to 'cellar' them for the odd once a week or so.
If funds were no issue, I'm sure I'd have a library of baccy to sustain a platoon of sages for the next century atleast! ;)
Same with whiskey.. but I'm an alchy and the sages would be thirsty in a week. lol

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't mean to cellar anything, and don't think of my trove as a cellar, but in fact I buy at a much higher rate than I smoke, so I end up aging while storing quite a few tins and jars of blends. By default, I guess I have a cellar, such as it is. My "cellar" is in the drop front of a pipe rack and on the top of a pipe cabinet out of direct light. If I didn't buy any tobacco for a year, I don't think it would have much impact. I'd still have quite a few tins and most of the blends I have open.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
I'd also be curious to see someone much smarter than myself analyse the potential negative-feedback loop of all these deep cellars in the event of a major regulatory change. When the guys who are buying big right now switch into bear mode after a price hike, it'll make things that much worse for the producers.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not enough coin to cellar.. smoke what I have and buy more when it's nearly gone
Have you checked SPC's C&D sale?
http://m.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/bulk/
Most of the blends until the end of September are $2.29/oz.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
LIke mso, I don't usually intend to cellar many tobaccos. But I'm always trying new blends, so after I open the tin and try it, they always get jarred up. I'll revisit the new blend over a week or two, and if I like it, I keep smoking it. If I'm not to fond of it, I push it to the back and try it later in time. So what I have now is a cellar of sorts, containing about 55 different tobaccos, ranging from about 1oz. to 6oz. I have a few tins of what I smoke a lot put up for when I need them. I know it's a scattershot way of doing things, but I really do enjoy the process of smoking new blends, and keeping on hand a few that I come back to often. I only smoke about one bowl a day, so as mso said, if I didn't buy any tobacco for a year, I would probably not notice too much difference.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I guess I cellar, but only because I buy more tobacco than my smoking volume can keep up with. It's not a conscious choice.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Both here as well. The smoking is for enjoyment, the cellaring is an attempt to perpetuate the enjoyment.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Seems like there's a few of us in the middle. Cellaring, to me, is laying up a store "so that it will be pleasant to expect hard times" (Old Cato).
But I buy new tins at a faster rate than I've smoked the old.

Status
Not open for further replies.