PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I approached full-strength tobacco with caution, and I don't like some heavy duty blends or leaf, but discovered that I quite enjoy quite a few full-strength blends -- for example, C&D Dark Burley, Big and Burley, Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz, Tambolaka, Triple Play and others. In fact, I was surprised that most of these stronger blends bite much less than many aromatics with low nicotine but various flavorings that leave a chemical burn behind. Sometimes I find myself backing away from tobacco because it is described in the mild range, although I often enjoy these quite a lot when I actually try them. I wouldn't order the milder Cotton blend, although I might enjoy it. So I try to take a more open-minded view, when I can, and look at the constituent tobaccos and what they might offer. Sometimes, a mild smoke is a good one, since I'm not stuck per se on Lat bombs (but I like Lat) or big burleys, though I love most of 'em. Mild can be good, even if you favor the stronger blends.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Mild blends are fun sometimes, but generally for how I smoke, it makes sense to get the full strength varieties. The only exception that I indulge on a regular basis is Prince Albert, but I tend to mix it with Five Brothers for the full experience.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Great question! Really made me examine my own habits.

Yes. I usually dismiss blends described as "Mild". Even though I love straight Virginias like C&D Opening Night and most McClelland VAs, and a handful of aromatics. I often find "Mild" blends quite enjoyable, but tend to gravitate towards stronger flavors and higher nicotine. If a blend sounds interesting, but has gotten ratings of mild, I usualy don't buy it and potentially rob myself of the experience. I accidently stumbled upon VAs some years back and end up picking up mild blends on a whim when at a B&M with no chance at the time to read reviews. I need to remind myself to be more open to trying things that sound good though.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I never consider strength. I'm more interested in the overall blend characteristics. I like strong blends but not opposed to milder ones if they are interesting.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
I have been told that both Penzance and Stonehaven are too mild for some.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Let me rephrase... In my little pointed head the mildest to me is Xmas Cheer. It's tasty and I love it. But it seems mild to me.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I smoke my pipe for flavor not nicotine. Classic burley based blends like Carter Hall, and Prince Albert are among my favorites, and are considered quite mild.
I've tried one rope tobacco, and found it utterly disgusting without any pleasant flavor. I think it was Rum Twist.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I smoke my pipe for flavor not nicotine.
How interesting! I smoke it for the whole experience: flavor, Nicotine and practice.
I have to agree that Prince Albert is fantastic stuff. I mix it with Five Brothers to give it a little oomph.
What else do you like? And have you ever tried an unflavored rope?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I prefer med-strong blends in the morning, mild to medium blends during the day and mild blends at night. Now my reasons. Med-strong blends in the morning get my blood moving and wake me up. Medium blends during the day don't wear out my palate and keep that blood flowing. Mild blends at night because stronger blends will keep me awake.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Sometimes I run for my life to mild blends... usually after I just got kicked to the floor by a strong one!! Then usually, within one bowl, I'm reminded why I love the strong ones! I'm mainly referring to the nic-hit here. What mystifies me, still many times after all these years, is that WHEN a nic-hearty blend will kick me to the floor is entirely unpredictable. I do all the common sense things, but sometimes one just flies out of the blue and nails my hide to the wall. A couple nights ago, I had a bowl of glp Triple Play after a good, solid dinner... within a very short time, I was feeling really awful. And yet, I've also smoked TP several times in the mid-afternoon with next to nothing in my stomach and get away scot-free, as it were. Go figya... I have no idea! But TG for the happy, mild blends that keep me going in the interim!!

:puffy:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I tend to avoid them. For me, the nicotine and the flavors are equal parts of the experience. Even before I lost the taste for Latakia, I always found that mixtures, for example, left me not quite satisfied. Even though I appreciated the flavors, I really missed the nicotine. That said, Early Morning Pipe and Chelsea Morning are two that I still like, partly because the high-VA component gives them a decent amount of nicotine.
But my mainstays are C&D-style burleys, British/Irish flakes and plugs, and the GL Pease plugs (Jackknife and Triple Play).

Sep 18, 2015
I tend to overlook a lot of the blends that are listed as mild. It's a preconceived notion that I will get more taste out of a stronger blend, I don't have any facts to back this idea up and I don't know exactly where it came from, lets just call it 'contempt prior to investigation' I do have a fair amount of mild-med blends that I like, almost all of these were suggested to try by someone else, the guy at the B&M for the most part, as long as the flavor is good I'll smoke it. I like variety and enjoy exploring the different blends.

Maybe I'm going about this all wrong but oh well. I start off my mornings with a cigar and then have a bowl on the drive out to the job, I like Lat or Burly in the mornings, Nightcap, White Knight, Crown Achievement, Haunted Bookshop, Big & Burly, OJK are typical morning smokes.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I find myself backing away from "mild" tobacco's because I always assume they mean mild in nicotine (I know that's not always the case) and I have no time to bother with denicotined tobaccos. I know what you mean though, most stronger tobaccos that I have experience with are the most well behaved as far as biting is concerned. Dark Flake is the coolest, creamiest, tastiest, bestiest, smokiest smoke I've ever smoked.

Mild blends are fun sometimes, but generally for how I smoke, it makes sense to get the full strength varieties. The only exception that I indulge on a regular basis is Prince Albert, but I tend to mix it with Five Brothers for the full experience.

I've been playing around with this mixture myself and I must say, it is mighty freakin' tasty and it hits the spot! Works well with Carter Hall, too but I have trouble finding CH in my hood.

I've tried one rope tobacco, and found it utterly disgusting without any pleasant flavor. I think it was Rum Twist.

Actually, I absolutely love Rum Twist. Very pleasant flavor, in my opinion.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have been told that both Penzance and Stonehaven are too mild for some.

Since my latest re-visit with Stonehaven, I would even go so far as to call it WEAK. Penzance is pretty weak, too but at least it is full bodied in taste.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't knowingly smoke for nicotine. It's kind of pleasant when it's part of the experience, but I've never gone for the nic hit specifically, although maybe it can sneak up on you as a motivation. With strong blends it's the flavor that attracts me. Good, flavorful mild blends can provide a really useful change-up for me, so I am more receptive to the flavors and the experience, before I go back for the whallop of something strong. It's kind of like good music that can incorporate a quiet or slow mode before going in for a crescendo. Likewise, I always know a play isn't so well acted or directed if people come out shouting every line; projection yes, but bellowing continuously, maybe not. A milder blend can set up a good thoughtful smoking session. Love that Triple Play, however. One of my first plugs, and a good learning curve.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Now that I am quitting the nasty habit of dipping I am much more concerned about nicotine. I want the whole package however and I smoke anything from light to full bodied in taste depending on the day. I find that blends like 1Q and Captain Black no longer do anything for as I don't get any noticeable nicotine from them and that is very unsatisfying. Those blends still have their place though and serve as a good smoke while mowing the lawn or some similar chore.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
I tend to either be in the mood for a mild aromatic or a really strong, substantial smoke. I often enjoy aromatics like 1Q, BCA, Black Seas Red, etc.--or it's Irish Flake , G&H Ropes, SG 1792, Royal Yacht, G&H Dark Flake. It's actually the in between that doesn't get a lot of love from me.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@pitchfork
For me, the nicotine and the flavors are equal parts of the experience.
Insightful, I think. They balance each other as part of the experience. I also value the whole muckin' around with the pipe thing, including getting it lit, because at least then you have some moments to think when no one will chatter at you.
@billkay
Mild tobacco & light beer. What's the point of them ?
Obvious crypto-fascism or crypto-Communism, that's what.
@hawky454
I've been playing around with this mixture myself and I must say, it is mighty freakin' tasty and it hits the spot! Works well with Carter Hall, too but I have trouble finding CH in my hood.
I have to agree. Also on the Carter Hall. None in the neighborhood? This is my best source:
http://www.4noggins.com/carter-hall-pipe-tobacco.aspx
But, when I'm on the road, nearby cities have it in the grocery stores. Want me to pick you up a packet?

Status
Not open for further replies.