PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
I’m always keeping an eye on my email for when certain tobaccos come back in stock but I usually just get ones about new pipes and such so I always check them out to see if any grab my attention but I have found that regardless how a pipe looks, I always see what the weight is and if it isn’t a clencher I pass.
For example, there was a beautiful Jacono pipe that was listed recently but when I saw the weight was at 2.7 ounces I passed. I just enjoy being able to comfortably hold the pipe in my mouth so my hands remain free for the most part.
Does this matter to anyone else? Seems my comfort limit is around 2.2 ozs as heavier pipes give me jaw fatigue.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
As a clencher, I prefer my pipes to be 60g or less. 60g equals 2.1 oz and so I work in your ballpark. Yet I don't have a hard rule about this. How the pipe sits and balances is key; I have a 75g (2.6 oz) pipe that suits my clenching style just so. But I do not go for pipes that weigh more; so like you I have my comfort level and and an upper level, too. I do not think this is uncommon.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I agree with thomasw, balance is key. I have a couple of smaller, shorter pipes that come close to my weight threshold of 2oz but they don't feel it because the center of gravity is closer to my face.
That being said, I definitely prefer smaller pipes all around, length, chamber diameter, height as well as weight. For me, I don't want to nor have the time for a 90 minute plus smoke. I also smoke outdoors and am usually walking about, so lighter and smaller is key for me. The few longer pipes I do own (a new Jerry Crawford comes to mind) are still lightweight. Works for me.
I own 95% straight pipes, but others here have mentioned that bent pipes are much easier on the jaw, perhaps they will chime in.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Other than my yachts, the majority of my pipes were never meant to be clenched.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
My Mountbatten is a heavy, bullmoose bent pipe and while I do like to clench, none of my other pipes smoke as well or as cool. And in a pinch, I can beat someone to death with it if they are complaining about the smoke. :)

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm starting to prefer the Peterson 106 billiard instead of the heavier cousin, the 107. All that heavy clenching makes the teeth sore.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Depends on my mood I guess, I have pipes that I smoke when I work at the desk or do reading, pipes which I can clench and do like to clench; and I have heavy pipes which if I am relaxed I prefer to hold in my hand - when watching TV, something online, or just sit around and think.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I clench. I prefer straight pipes. 30-40 grams (ca 1-1.5 oz) is my comfort zone. I have a couple of pipes that weigh more, but no real heavyweighters. I don't buy heavy pipes.

There are of course other factors to consider. The stem, length of the pipe, straight vs bent etc, but the above is what I stick to mostly.

glaswegian

Lurker
Jul 4, 2018
This is the reason why I switched to corncobs. More than 40gr isn´t suitable for my jaw.

I love the Stanwell Featherweight Series when it has to be briar. Also I prefer smaller bowls that I don´t smoke too long so I can change tobaccos more often.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Yeah, it’s all about the balance point and the right stem. I have pipes that weight 30 grams and can’t be comfortably clenched without a softy bit and others that are 65 grams and 6” long that clench great because the pipemaker profiled the button to accommodate.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Shane and Brian actually just hit on this in the recent Radio Show episode.
I hadn't really thought about the pipe weight until hearing that radio show episode. I'm sure now going forward I'll be more aware of it and try to go for lighter pipes as I'm a clencher.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
My heaviest pipe is a beautiful bent Dublin monster weighing in at 103 grms. That's over 3 oz. I prefer to hold my pipes as I dropped one out of my mouth once and marred a beautiful bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.