Do you always dry tobaccos to the same level of moisture?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I'm finding that some tobaccos work better drier than others.
Some work wonderful very dry (all, to this day) so I, as usual, dried the recently bought Stanwell Melange (an aromatic with a lot of orientals) quite a bit. I found out that it works better with some moisture.
So what is your opinion?

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I have tobacco get drier as the tin gets smoked over time and one blend I can say for sure that I prefer with a little more moisture is GL Pease Fillmore. I have a tin that's been opened for a couple months and the moisture level is about "perfect" at this point but the small amount of latakia that's in there is more noticeable now - not really my preference.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, to near the same level of moisture, and I generally dry a whole tin at a time, but I use a hygrometer ($5 at Amazon, about the size of an eraser), so I do know what the level is.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
For the blends that I generally smoke, I find better flavor when the tobacco is pretty dry. But I vary that a little bit depending on the specific blend. Though I rarely smoke aros these days, when I do, I leave them a little moister so that the topping doesn't croak out. Most of the Hearth & Home blends are tinned at a good smoking moisture, so I don't usually dry them, while most of the English tobaccos are tinned way too wet to get optimal flavor from them.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
No, some I will let dry a little longer than others, it depends on the blend and how moist it is when I open it.

Jan 8, 2013
I simply dry any blend that I believe needs to be dried until I believe it's dry enough. This of course varies greatly from blend to blend, and blend type to blend type. So, no, they're not at the same level of moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.