PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaan

Lurker
Nov 20, 2015
Hi everyone...
I've been smoking pipe for a month now and one of my friends gave me 2 pipes that he had smoked in the 80's. Those two had been smoked through 1982 to 1985 and then put to sleep for 30 years. One and only Turkish briar pipe brand Sahin had made those. Since the brand established at 82, i believe those are one of the debut models. Not one of the top quality brands but maybe drying down for 35 years mean something which i dont have any opinion about.
I know that a precise evaluation can only be done with smoking them but some experienced eye could tell me those pipes are worth trying to restore? I cleaned the bowls and the shanks with pipe cleaners soaked in whisky and both have very smooth drill holes.
I dont take pictures of the stems but i am pretty sure they are good to go. I've cleaned them throughly and ı dont care about some tiny bite marks and stain. I can handle them.
The first pipe;

IMG_0787_zpsnvkqrict.jpg

IMG_0790_zpszwsrspgc.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpskg4zjlqh.jpg

The second pipe which i did not like at all :)

IMG_0791_zpsonpf137u.jpg

IMG_0794_zpsmkz6cvg9.jpg

IMG_0793_zpsmgokples.jpg

IMG_0792_zpstqbgexcc.jpg

Please note that i am a beginner and i have every right to ask dumb questions all the time! :) I can give a lecture about rolling tobaccos but barely know anything about pipes.
BR

Kaan...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think these are do it yourself restorations, so are they worth your time? I think it would be interesting to see what you can do, more the first than the second. Meantime, have a cob or two, and maybe a good not-expensive briar, of which there are many.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you have the stems, and the pipes are in tact, there's really no need to restore them. Simply smoke them, if you don't have many pipes they may not be the prettiest but as long as they smoke I don't see the problem.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
They look a little bit past their prime, lol. I would give them a nice cleaning, and smoke them like they are. Or, you could practice your restoration skills. I wouldn't spend any money on them, however.

kaan

Lurker
Nov 20, 2015
Thank you all. I decided not to struggle restoring them and cleaned the first one with a single malt whiskey throughly then left to dry for a week. I just stuffed SG Westmorland and lit. Wonderful dry and cool smoking! No gurgling, no overheating and sound. Best pipe in my 5 pipe collection. I am going to smoke it the way it is. Thanks guys.. I am enjoying the pleasant smokey aroma of Talisker now. :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Meant to ask- is the fissure on the second pipe (a volcano?) right through to the interior? Pretty academic, perhaps now. If you do smoke it takes extra care!

kaan

Lurker
Nov 20, 2015
No, it was not that deep but i hated the craftsmanship of it and threw it away. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.