Do Sterling Pipes Offer the Same Benefit as Army-Mount?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puff

Lurker
May 9, 2015
A number of pipes have a silver band on the end of the shank, and I was wondering whether this affords the same benefit as with army-mount or spigot pipes: That you can disassemble them while hot without the risk of cracking the pipe?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yes and no. Yes in that they offer a similar construction, and no in that neither really guarantees that disassembly while hot will not crack the shank. Full spigots are different from military mounts in that the craft hole is fully sheathed in metal, and that may offer more protection.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Why would you want to disassemble a pipe hot? Especially if you know it could potentially damage the pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There are times when one wants or needs to do so. One has to be ham handed or ignorant to cause damage just because it's warm or hot. Still, it's safer to follow the old saws.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yep, but a full spigot lines the interior of the mortise with sterling as well as lining the end of the stem with sterling. A half spigot has the spigot shape without the sterling lining of the mortise and is no different than an army mount except for the shape. A sterling mount is merely a band around the end of the shank and doesn't line the mortise.
The band doesn't really offer any protection as it's thin. The army doesn't protect the wooden mortise and you can split the shank by applying too much pressure. Only a full spigot protects the mortise because it's a metal to metal fit. None of the others are.
I'm curious as to why removing the stem when the pipe is warm (it shouldn't be hot, ever) is an important feature.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I don't know who told me or where I heard it, but I've always had the impression that an Army mount was designed for military smokers so they could remove the stem and tuck the pipe in a pocket or pouch in a moments notice. I would think that if your were sitting in a trench enjoying a pipe and all of a sudden the enemy was attacking or firing artillery at you, then you might want to put the pipe away quickly.
Like I said, I don't know where I got that from but it's something I remember.

I suppose that if you were setting in a ditch, with hundreds of scared rabbits, and bombs were coming at you, and gas attacks melting your face off, and just waiting for the whistle signalling time to run right towards machine guns... you might smoke you pipe a little faster than the guy listening to Bach in a leather covered recliner.
But, in the spigot I have, and the ones I have seen, they are pretty much just decoration now. Guys probably wouldn't chose to take a Ferndown into muddy trench warfare these days.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
The army mount pre dates WWI. So the whole idea of it being created to tear it down for combat is false. Peterson had a contract to supply the army with pipes during WWI which probably started the nomenclature of "army mount" or "military mount".
To the OP. Spigots offer the best protection for hot tear down. The army mount 2nd. The banded version is least but it is still better than a traditional mortise and stem pipe. The deluxe system in your link is still just an army mount. I agree with sablebrush52. Why do you need to break down a hot pipe? If it's moisture in your current pipe, there are a number of reasons contributing to it and buying a pipe for hot tear down doesn't fix the moisture problem.
Just my 2¢

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Why would you want to disassemble a pipe hot?"
I often dismantle my pipe mid smoke to run a cleaner through the stem then into the shank to remove the moisture produced by combustion, (even 'dry' tobacco contains some moisture) and have never yet damaged a pipe by so doing.
As John points out, so long as one is not gorilla handed then it's a perfectly acceptable way to maintain a dry smoke.
Regards,
Jay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I often dismantle my pipe mid smoke to run a cleaner through the stem then into the shank to remove the moisture produced by combustion, (even 'dry' tobacco contains some moisture) and have never yet damaged a pipe by so doing.
I smoke my tobaccos very dry to get the most flavor from them, so on those rare occasions that I need to run a pipe cleaner through to dry out the airway during a smoke, I just run it through the assembled stem and shank. That does the job just fine. The only time I disassemble is when I'm cleaning the pipe at the end of the day.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I used to do it that way Jesse but as 99% of my pipes are bent, the cleaner wouldn't always reach to the bottom of the bowl hence me changing my methods. Even 'bone dry' tobacco still leaves moisture that needs to be taken out.
Just so long as one is careful, taking a hot pipe apart shouldn't be the cause for tears but of course, each to his own.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Basically, never force a removal of a stem, be it hot, warm or stony cold. Never just try to pull it straight out. I twist clockwise on both removal and reinsertion. (Jokes re other activities are possible.)

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Well, in the case of Peterson's deluxe system pipes, (they're not spigots), the claim was that, due to the mortise arrangement whereby the stem was made not to seat completely into it, it had the advantage of capability for disassembly while still warm. Now, in my case, as I always smoke multiple bowls of tobac in a sitting, if the pipe gets a bit wet during the smoking, will take the stem out before done to swab it with a cleaner. Never really had a problem with that with any pipe/brand I've smoked in 40+ years with the exception that I did manage to loosen the stems too much on 2 of my pipes.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I'm still on the search for that right full spigot pipe. I really think that it will make a great pipe for hunting and hiking, despite most people agreeing that they are more decoration these days. I just haven't seen the perfect one yet.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
The story I heard was soldiers would repair broken shanks/stems in the field by sheathing them with spent bullet/shell casings, hence "military mount".

Status
Not open for further replies.