PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I know Popeye likes Olive Oyl, but do pipes? I read somewhere once that it's good to occasionally rub olive oil on briar pipes, to condition and preserve the wood.
Does anyone know if this is really a good idea?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
There a lot of guys who use it on their pipes.Some say it retards oxidation on vulcanite stems.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks ejames. So then I guess it's good for both the bowls and the stems...

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
On the stem its fine but why would you want to use it on the bowl? Do you really want that cooking on your bowl as you puff away? Just use some carnuba wax for the bowl.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Lacking a buffer grab some of the waxes that are made for pipe bowls that you can apply and hand polish once the solvent flashes off.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
I use it on stems and bowls. and sometimes I wax it afterwards. I use olive oil but actually I use whatever oil I have around the house. Linseed oil, tung oil etc.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
I used olive oil for about a month but then switched to Briar Pipe Wipe because it was suggested to me by someone that I trust. I found that it does a much better job and keeps my pipes looking new.

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Extra virgin?

That's what I use when I fry my talapia or orange roughy.

Maybe the next time I cook fish I'll go for a two-fer and use a little on my stems -- but not when I'm actually frying the fish.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I use it on the entire pipe; bowl, shank and stem with every cleaning. It retards oxidation on vulcanite and it gives the briar a beautiful natural lube and glow.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I would never put olive oil on one of my collectible pipes. I just give them a rubdown with a pipe polishing cloth after each use. Olive oil gets rancid pretty fast, yuk! 8O

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
I use it on older estae pipes and it does bring a nice shine,

But It doesn't last as long as wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.