PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Looking at the general condition of many old estate pipes is what prompted a thought.
Are pipe smokers keeping pipes cleaner today than was the custom in the past? In reading posts on the pipe repair and general statements on tobacco it occurred to me that pipe smokers today are generally keeping their pipes much cleaner than in the past. Specifically the bowls and interiors.
Education seems to be flourishing with the forums and in the pipe community in general. Many of us have commented on the quality of smoking rested, drier, cleaner pipes. Tobacco comes into the discussions, but my questions are:
1.) In your your opinion were dirtier pipes more of the accepted norm back when men smoked one or two pipes, had one tobacco, and education on the genre was much more limited, or is it just a matter of the pipes cleanliness not being important?
2.) How often do you clean your pipes?
3.) Do you think cleaning ads to your smoking enjoyment?

janosh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2015
Hungary
1)I guess that back in the time they were thinking about pipes as simply tools for consuming tobacco. Not more. They don't care so much about grains and finishes and so on.

2) After every smoke and one general cleaning monthly. But I don't smoke them every day.

3) Absolutely.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Some probably do. Some probably do not.
If one only smoked in a club, staff cleaned the members pipes. If you were smoking while plowing the north 40, owned but one pipe, I suspect it could get ill treated. I think it would depend on the owner and how he viewed his pipe.
I maintain all recently smoked pipes thoroughly on Sunday. I take as much care with my pipes as I do with my cameras and lenses. Function and not cosmetics is most important. An external ding or scar is not important. But, I do not abuse either. Well, cobs excepted.
Cleaning a pipe is not something I enjoy. I do enjoy smoking a clean pipe.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
piper-clipart-boy_dressed_as_the_pied_piper_0521-1102-1611-4921_SMU.jpg

This is a piper.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
I clean after every smoke. Always. Once in a while I would run a few pipe cleaners soaked in whiskey, but not often.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I'd say most probably do yes. I can assure you my father, grandfather and uncles had no idea what a "rotation" is and would probably look at you funny if you explained it. I don't really have a rotation either as far as that goes, and I'm not scared to smoke one pipe all day long. But I do clean them regularly.

The men in my family smoked the same pipe day in and day out, never letting it leave their mouths. My Uncle Leon would even nap on the porch with it in his mouth. Then when the thing was caked over or ready to be tossed, into the fireplace it went. I'm fairly certain that they would see rotations, resting of pipes, and much of what we make a big todo about as being pretentious pansies.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
1.) In your your opinion were dirtier pipes more of the accepted norm back when men smoked one or two pipes, had one tobacco, and education on the genre was much more limited, or is it just a matter of the pipes cleanliness not being important?
2.) How often do you clean your pipes?
3.) Do you think cleaning ads to your smoking enjoyment?
Answers:
1. I think it was the norm back in the day (50's & 60's). Didn't have pipe smoking forums back then.
2. I clean my pipes after every smoke. A deep breakdown cleaning every 6 months.
3. A clean pipe is a happy pipe. I think the taste is better from a clean & dry pipe.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I think more people than not had one or two pipes and smoked away, aesthetics wasn't the main focal point as was the use of the pipe as a tool. Im sure there were quite a few that would maintain their pipes clean and/or had a large rotation, but I would think they were the ones that had money.

Also how far back are we going... I would say far more people, pre 1950's, mistreated (by todays standards) their pipes... again most likely due to the fact that most people weren't wealthy and had to make due with what they had.
I for one fall into the category of seeing my pipes as tools... I care more about the tobacco.

I do not dote on them and they all see heavy and hard use... thats not to say I abuse my pipes, although Im sure some of you might disagree with me. Just like my woodworking tools, I keep my pipes clean, I'll give it a good wipe down before putting it away, again just like a plane or chisel after every use. I am not wealthy and cannot afford to buy 100's of pipes, so I do take care of them... but I sure as hell am not afraid to use them either.
As far as deep cleaning I would say once or twice a year... its hard for me to sit still for too long, woodworking is the only thing that really keeps me in one place for long... otherwise I'm always moving doing something. OH and yes I do agree that a clean pipe is better.
to quote Warren

Cleaning a pipe is not something I enjoy. I do enjoy smoking a clean pipe.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Damn! A timely topic.
I've been slacking and now I get some gurgling. I just blow air back through the stem and the gurgling stops. I've only gone just over a month without a thorough cleaning. That shit builds up surprisingly quick. Compared to a couple estates I got, mine are in good shape. But then, compared to a couple estates I got, they are kinda dirty.
Probably shouldn't have drank most of the rum I bought to clean em with. Well, it was the Holidays. :evil:

Clean first, drink second, will be my mantra.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
My guess would be that when folks had one or two pipes and smoked them all day, every day, they were less fastidious about cleaning. Also, I'd guess that those who frequent pipe smoking forums, on average, clean more thoroughly than other pipe smokers?
I clean superficially after every smoke (pipe cleaner or two and "ream" out the bowl with wadded up paper towel). I do a more thorough cleaning about twice a year: spring and fall.
I do notice a difference after my semi-annual thorough cleaning. That probably means that I should do it more often.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
My grandfather smoked inexpensive pipes until the cake was so thick he couldn't fill it, then he got a new one. I recall cake close to 1/4 inch. Then he would stick a cigar in it.
So I say yes.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
I'm becoming lazy on this aspect. Pipe cleaner after the smoke, a bit of spit and shine on the rim, and off it goes. For Systems, I Q-Tip as well.
Every 6 months or so I take them apart and do carnauba waxing and all that good stuff.
I used to give them a nice rub and take them apart after every smoke... but... lazy.
To your Q's:
1.) I don't know
2.) See above
3.) Indifferent -- I do enjoy the infrequent in-depth cleaning because I like the outcome (a shinier pipe!)

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Nowadays "pipe smoking" became a hobby, not just "smoking" which makes a big difference. I remember the pipe of my driving instructor 35 years ago. It looked (and smelled) like the cone of a volcano. He even smoked his cigar butts in it!
I clean my pipes after every smoke to prolong it´s life and because of aesthetical and hygenic reasons.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Most of my daily use pipes have stainless tubes lining the shank. Cleaning is a breeze. Pipe cleaner to soak up the moisture... done. I will scrape the bowl once my ring finger no longer fits into it. I wipe them down, keep the rim clean, but that's about the extent of it.
They are not abused, but they are not babied either. I'm not a believer in showroom pipes, just not my thing.
Do I think in general smokers today take better care of their pipes? Yes, mainly because most of us have more than one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad was a one-pipe-at-a-time guy. He'd burn 'em up and buy another. Not too much cleaning. Not many pipe cleaners, maybe if it was jammed. He'd knock it on his palm, his shoe or a tree. He had a suit-and-tie job but weekends it was strictly a lumberjack shirt and beat-up hat. He would not approve of my pipe "collection." "What do you need so many pipes for?" he'd say, shaking his head but showing some anger. His "estate pipes" would be cracked up the bowl, caked, and generally cooked. Granger was his fuel. His reamer was a pocket knife. He'd refer to us Forums members as "some of these fancy pipe smokers."

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Guy I know had one pipe, the end was chewed off and I never saw him use a pipe cleaner, and he smoked it every day. He got pissed when we put a little weed in it. He never left his pipe out of his site again.

Status
Not open for further replies.