PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've been smoking a pipe for about a year and I have to admit I have never come across a so-called "pipe snob." And yet I read comments in the forums here and there about the guy who looks down his nose at Grabow's and Captain Black.
Every pipe smoker I know, in real life or on-line, is friendly and completely unpretentious about what they smoke and what they don't. So I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences with the dreaded pipe snob. Does he exist or is he a myth?

ckquatt

Lurker
May 31, 2012
Hell that's what my grand pa used to smoke and smoke in. I haven't come across "the snob" either but when I first started pipe smoking about 3 or so years ago, that's what I used exactly to get the basics down then moved on to bigger and better things once I got some experience under my belt. I would never fault anyone for what they choose to smoke! Every one has to start somewhere!

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
yes indeed, they do, but I think are fairly rare. Worst case for me , an owner of a fairly large pipe and tobacco shop. If you weren't there to look into a dunhill or other top end pipe, you were basically dismissed as a customer. Poor business tactics.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Folks who target and make personal attacks against someone or a group of people about what they use to smoke tobacco in, or the weed that they smoke, is what I consider the dreaded Pipe Snob, and they do exist. But on the other hand, Some folks are open and honest about their opinions of what they like and dislike, and are not trying to look down on anyone. :puffy:

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I think it depends on ones budget.I've known a good many pipe smokers who smoked drug store tobacco in one pipe and enjoyed it as much as someone who smokes expensive tobacco in a Dunhill.Is one better than the other? Depends on who you ask..Does the fact that some spend more than others make them elite? Not in my opinion.Do some think they are? Absolutely.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It just so happens that I know everything there is to know about tobacco, and my taste in pipes is exquisite.

There is no place in this hobby for corn cob pipes and P.A.

People who know what they are doing smoke only aged natural tobacco.

Cannisters.jpg

...and, oh yes, I know what's good for you, and how you should live.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
i was gonna say only real pipe smokers smoke cob pipes and have prince albert in their rotations. all else are wanna-be posers who wanna brag about the expensive dr grabows they have and smoke nothing but middleton cherry...

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
The shame of it is that here are pipe smokers who seriously feel the way cortezattic joked about. I presume SF still has a private section just for high end pipe collectors.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Nube Question: What's "SF"? And why do you suspect they have a "private section"?
also, I'm really curious to hear things that people have seen or heard about that indicate pipe snobbery. I don't doubt it exists, I just haven't seen anyone act that way.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Smokers Forum DOES have a private section for high end collectors, but it's not what you think. It's not a forum for bashing low end pipes. Rather, it's an environment where you can show off your newest acquisition without someone saying you're wasting your money when all you really need is a cob/grabow/brylon/etc.
I'm a member there and I do think it serves a purpose.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Smokers Forum UK.
Thanks, markw4mms.
Smokers Forum DOES have a private section for high end collectors, but it's not what you think. It's not a forum for bashing low end pipes. Rather, it's an environment where you can show off your newest acquisition without someone saying you're wasting your money when all you really need is a cob/grabow/brylon/etc.
I'm a member there and I do think it serves a purpose.
Very interesting, bigvan. When you say "high end," does that mean Ashton, Dunhill, etc. or more like Bang, Ivarsson, et al.?

Status
Not open for further replies.