PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Fired up my Diplomat last night with Peter Stokkebye Nougat. Had trouble keeping it lit, and it smoked so hot that I let it burn out after 1/2 of a bowl. Is this normal?

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
My cobs burn hot, but I think that is simply because I am new to pipe smoking and have a tendency to smoke WAY too fast.
I am curious to see what opinions pop up ITT however. Great topic OP.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
My experience with cobs is that they don't smoke hot. Not to sound like an old pro because I'm not. When I first came over from cigars, all my pipes smoked hot all the time. I came to the conclusion that most of the time smokers smoke hot and pipes just go along for the ride. As for PS Nougat - letting it dry, paying attention to how you pack it and smoking it slower will probably change your experience. Gotta love a hobby that tests your patience!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Cobs do not smoke hot. Now, if you are puffing like a train, anything is apt to smoke hot.

S-L-O-W D-O-W-N.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks for the advice, I thought that might be the problem, but my tobacco kept going out, so I ended up puffing like a steam engine. Next time I'll let the tobacco dry out a few minutes before I start up.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
plateauguy, some blends can take an hour or more to dry out. You should use the pinch test to determine if your tobacco is properly dried. The pinch test is when you take a clump of your tobacco and pinch it between your fingers then drop it and if it stays clumped up it is still too wet.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Like all pipe smoking, one must slow down to appreciate the blend. I'd suggest clenching your pipe and developing a slow smoking cadence. Otherwise you'll hurt more than just your pipe.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
MM Cobs feel hot to the touch more than briars do, however they tend to smoke cooler and drier to the mouth. I don't really notice a difference anymore, since I have my proper technique down but I used to love how the cobs were the only pipes which didn't give me tongue burn, besides the p-lip pete design. Now I prefer briars and use cobs for outdoors.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
True be told any pipe will burn hot depending on the baccy and how fast you are smoking. Sound advice is to slow down. Always respect the pipe.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I'm going to be the odd man out here. All the cobs I've had smoked hot, but only for the first couple smokes. Until the inside charred up just alittle....But yes slow down and it will be cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.