PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Ok. So, last week I picked up my first Meer. Was in an antiques shop and asked if they had any "smoking pipes". Anyway, they rolled up with this ugly as hell thing with a woman's face carved into it. BUT, they'd labelled it up as "plastic smoking pipe" & were selling it for £4 (£70 is the MINIMUM for a new one similar over here). You KNOW I had to have it!
So, I've cleaned it up as best I can and am currently smoking a bowl of Irish Flake out of it when I realize I have no idea if Meers need resting or are just good to go?
Come to think of it, I don't know what the consensus is on clays & cobs too...

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Good score, man! Just swab the stem and shank with soft pipe cleaners after each smoke and then wipe out the chamber with either a soft cloth, paper towel or a pipe cleaner bent in the shape of a U. If you smoke several bowls in a day, it can pick up some moisture, especially if it's aromatics or you smoke too fast. I like to rest mine for a day or so in that case, but they don't need the same amount of rest as a briar.
General rules are hands off the bowl when smoking (hold the stem) and keep it clean and dry. No need to build cake and in fact you don't want cake on a Meer. Make sure it is cool before re-loading. The bowl heats up when you smoke it, but it will cool pretty fast, too.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Thanks for the advice. I'm sitting here holding the bowl thinking "It doesn't get hot like a clay does..."
Do you hold it by the stem for something to do with colouring?

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
So do some don't. The pipe can absorb oils from your hands. I just wash my hands with soap before I use it. It has been working for me at least. I'm not gonna stress over not touching the bowl.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
As the meer pipe gets warm, the wax coating softens, and it will pick up dirt and oils from your hand. I don't hold mine by the stem most of the time, but rather rest the bottom in my palm. I have two figural meers, one a lion head and the other an angry Turk sultan, so that sort of hold works good.
Other than cooling it off, wiping the stem, and scraping the dottle and ashes, I don't do much to it.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
I didn't want to post a pic because she's so damn ugly, but here you go...
IMAG0193_zpsbc296ca0.jpg

What about clays and cobs though? What do you guys do?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
kris, that is definitely a very nice pipe in my book, but then I like figural meers. What sort of stem arrangement? Push-pull, like a "regular" pipe, or the screw-in nonsense ?

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
photoman13, maybe it's the angle of your photo or my eyes are in bad shape but your Meer is Hideous! It looks like an old witch with stick arms held behind her back, glued to the bowl. Sure it has boobs but that's about all you can say nice about the thing.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
It came with another pipe I bought. It is so ugly I like it lol. Topd yours is killer. If you wanna trade just let me know. :lol:
Edit: Mine isn't a mermaid either lol just an ugly ass woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.