PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooterdoo

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2018
Hi All -
So, I've recently made a somewhat sizable purchase of tobacco and am wondering if I should buy some mason jars to store it. I'm not looking to cellar this tobacco, I just want to make sure it doesn't go stale on me over the next few months.
If you would recommend buying them, what ratio should I use for determining size, e.g., 1 oz = 3 fl oz?
Thanks!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I'd say 2 ounces to an 8 ounce jar. 1 ounce to a 4 ounce. That ratio seems to work for me, and yes, I'd say buy some jars. I keep jars for the stuff I'm smoking, just to keep it from drying out too much.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
50g tins will fit nicely into a half pint size jar or 100g of flake . In the pint size, I can fit up to 4 ounces of flake and usually 100g of other cuts with room left over.
Definitely buy the jars. They just make things so much easier.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
If you're reusing any jars, especially those that have had food in them, I highly recommend a dishwasher to sanitize the jars and then buy new lids/tops.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Look at it this way - long term, even if Mason jars rust, there will be much less exposure to the metal in comparison to tinned tobacco. The glass is inert and the tobacco does not directly touch it. The jars keep a seal and they are pretty damn reliable.
I prefer Mason jars because they hold moisture better than other methods. If I jar a blend, its moisture content will be more stable than the same blend in a tin that is only screwed shut by hand.
TBH I only use new Mason Jars for my tobacco cellaring to minimize the possibility of contamination. (You can always clean/sanitize/reuse these jars after the fact but I won't waste the time/effort to clean and reclaim dirty jars from pasta sauce or something) I am less picky about jars that are used for tobaccos which are still in my rotation but I generally believe that it is best to keep all blends in good containers...

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I am a new pipe smoker and followed the recommendations from this article, which pretty much matches recommendations I got here in the forums:
Mason Jars for Pipe Tobacco
I found that the 50 gram tins fit nicely into the half pint Ball jars from Walmart, and I have one 3.5oz tin that fit well into a one pint Ball jar.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Yes, you need Mason jars. Early in my journey, I tried other storage items, mainly for aesthetics because Mason jars are ugly. But I quickly realized there is really no alternative for our hobby.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Awww hell no! You already made a big investment in tobacco why bother keeping it fresh? I mean, jars are like six bux for a twelve pack gawdammit! You gotta have a dirty sock that’s free right?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would suggest buying stock in mason jars lol.
It's okay to store tinned blends in the tin. If you've opened the tin and won't finish it right away then jar up it up, so it'll keep the same moisture level when you want to return to it. Bulk blends NEED to be put in a mason jar.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The glass is inert and the tobacco does not directly touch it.
The tobacco in my Mason and Ball jars is very much in contact with the glass! And it's fine. I jam as much as possible into each jar. Plenty of O2 remains.
And unless you're in a very dry or very humid location tins will keep for months after opening without losing too much moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.