Do I Need Different Pipes for Different Blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
I recently heard the term "ghosting" (which I have no idea what it means) and the notion that different pipes should be designated for different blends, meaning I have to divide my pipes and use some of them only for aromatics, some for english, some for virginia, etc. Just wondering if thats what everybody does, and if so, what blends can be used in one pipe.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Everyone is different regarding dedicating pipes to certain blends. I dedicate pipes to anything that is a Lakeland blend. I also dedicate pipes to blends containing Latakia. Anything else is smoked in the same pipes. It's all pretty much subjective. You do what works for you.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Everyone is different regarding dedicating pipes to certain blends. I dedicate pipes to anything that is a Lakeland blend. I also dedicate pipes to blends containing Latakia. Anything else is smoked in the same pipes. It's all pretty much subjective. You do what works for you.
Agree. I have Lakeland blend pipes(2). All other tobaccos including Latakia are smoked in the same pipes.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Experiment to find out what suits you. How many pipes do you have? Buy three more for the experiment

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
For over 50 years I have never dedicated pipe with tobacco, I think it is a serious case of mental masturbation.

Reactions: cntunglam

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
For over 50 years I have never dedicated pipe with tobacco, I think it is a serious case of mental masturbation.

Jan 8, 2013
Not necessarily. Some smoker's don't like tasting the after taste of a Balkan Blend in their straight Virginias. If you don't like the ghosting affects dedicate the pipes and blends.
Do you need different pipes for different blends or blend types? Totally up to the individual. Personally, I semi-dedicate my pipes to blend types. Sometimes I'll just say the hell with it and smoke whatever blend in whatever pipe. My Peterson's however are nearly exclusively my aromatic pipes though.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I don’t smoke any aros at this point. So, I don’t designate any pipes for any particular tobaccos.
I smoke my english, burley, VaPers all from the same Pipes and don’t recognize any lingering ghosts. They all taste great to me.
That’s my take. I guess my sense of taste isn’t sensitive enough for it to matter. :puffpipe:

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I experiment with blends in different pipes and once I find a combination between leaf and briar that works I stick with it. So I dedicate some pipes by default. That has more to do with wanting to enjoy my smoking than it is a strict self-imposed rule.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
And here I thought I was the only curmudgeon on this forum.

derhammer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
For me it's best to dedicate certain pipes to certain blends. Because some days I only want aros and do not wish to have lingering aroma of latakia ghosting the pipe. I guess it only does a particular blend right to smoke it in the best way possible.

:puffpipe:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Cosmic once posted a blend genre order that would prevent or ameliorate lingering tastes. I wrote it down, but I lost it.
Latakia > Aros > VAs??
Can't remember.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Bass, you're just a mess. -laugh-
Seriously, though, Jason, it really is all subjective. I'd come closest to agreeing with Ray, except I don't even dedicate to Latakia. If I had more mental discipline I probably would, but I'm basically just this guy who'll smoke whatever of his stock is immediately handy in whichever of his pipes is also.
OK, so maybe I'm not one of them there "ka-noy-see-ers," so what? I enjoy it & that works for me. :)
Bill

Sep 18, 2015
You need three pipes per blend!

JK.

I do have some pipes dedicated to genre’s Latakia & Virginia. One pipe that’s for FMC only and a couple for Aeros that don’t see much action, everything else is mixed use.

Status
Not open for further replies.