PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Hi Jeffers, welcome to the forum. If you only have one pipe and are smoking it daily, you will eventually need a reamer fairly soon. For years I used to use the Senior reamer, but now I use my pipe knife as it is easier to get down to the bottom of the bowl and I have more control using that than my reamer. Generally I don't have to ream my pipes for at least a year and sometimes 2. I have a rotation of 32 pipes and never smoke the same pipe 2 days in a row or smoke more than one bowl a day in any pipe.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
+ cigrmaster. I do have a Senior Reamer but don't have to use it often. That tool does have a nifty drill bit attachment that comes in handy for opening up the air hole in the bowl and I do use that when things get a bit tight there.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I have a castleford reamer but at the rate i smoke my own pipes they hardly need the reamer treatment. I do however use it exclusively with estate pipes i purchase. so if your planning on buying estates a reamer is a good investment, if your planning on just smoking one or two pipes then i think you can hold off buying one for a bit. the choice is yours. But i would consider getting one cause you never know when a good deal on an estate comes up and all it needs is a good ream and polish.

May 31, 2012
Insert Senior Reamer joke here:

49923254.jpg

:eek:

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
As said, if you smoke a pipe regularly you'll need a something to ream your pipe(s) wit.
Any blade that you choose should have a rounded end. Pocket knives can puncture the bowl. Avoid letting the blade of any reamer scrape or cut into wood (use care with the inside top of the bowl). Take it slow until you develop the technique. Trimming a little cake well is better than trimming a lot poorly.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Ream after every smoke. Use a "dull" pipe knife. I only use "Rodgers" because they are dull. They are available from IwanRies.com. Also, use a pipe cleaner after every smoke as well. Then, pull out the cleaner and allow your pipe to air dry. If you follow this procedure, you will rarely ever need any more significant reaming done to the pipe for several years, if ever.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

May 31, 2012
I use a Sharpee wrapped in sand paper lol
No doubt!

That's my favorite technique too, a fatboy Sharpee wrapped in sandpaper,

I think it works the best!

8)
I only use my Senior Reamer for getting out heavy cake in estate pipes.

I tend to wipe my bowls out after every smoke with a paper towel to keep the bowl clean. Cake still builds up, but I use the second blade on my Case knife, which fits the contours of the bowl great, to keep it trimmed thin. But, I don't suggest folks that don't have the finesse down of using a knife to get a reamer. I've never used a reamer, but I would think it takes less fine motor skills to operate one than a knife. I've seen some rims buggered up by someone who wasn't comfortable using one.

And, I really like the idea of sandpaper and a Sharpie. That's an excellent suggestion.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Pipnet works best for me, combined with sandpaper over a sharpie. Castleford is a Chinese knock off of the Pipenet and decidedly inferior in quality. I found the proper place for my Castleford set, which was the recycling bin. I also have individual stainless reamers of Danish manufacture. Reamers are fine for cylidrical chamber bores, less successful and potentially harmful used with conical chambers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of my pipes are about 40 years old. I scoop out the ash after every bowl and wipe them out with

a paper towel (or something similar). The carbon stays thinner than the proverbial dime. I have never

owned a reamer. Many who use reamers only do damage, so I'd advise against them.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
+1 mso ... the paper towel twisted up or pipe cleaner doubled in half after each smoke keeps

a nice carbon layer without developing cake.
I'd save the scraping for estate restorations.

Status
Not open for further replies.