PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixiechitos

Lurker
Feb 26, 2014
Hey guys. A local tobacconist site claims you HAVE to use a filter adapter or insert if you're not using a filter as the filter space will fill with liquid. The pipe I have can be smoked without a filter and I chucked it.
https://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/products/falcon-coolway-bent-apple-saddle-stem-24-briar-smoking-pipe
When I look down the shank I see a space straight down and then another channel which leads to the air hole. There doesn't seem to be any liquid there?
Thanks!

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I have a few filter pipes that I routinely smoke without adapters, and I've never had a problem.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
The only thing you HAVE to do is light your leaf on fire.
Rubbish.
Cobs have a space for filters, very few use the filters. Love them cobs.

redheadedsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
Iowa
I have several pipes that utilize filters or adapters if wanted. I've never once bothered to use the adapters, nor the filters they are meant to be in leu of and never once have I had a problem.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Well, I do see they accumulate a little more moisture without the filter, but the adapter seems to affect both the draw, and the ability to get a pipe cleaner through to the bowl. I only have one pipe that takes a filter, and as such- I smoke it about 3 times a year, with or without the filter, since it's going to get plenty of rest to dry out anyways. I will never buy a filter pipe again, but I've had this one for 5 years.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some pipes designed for filters and supplied with adapters smoke pretty wide open without either. So it depends if you

enjoy that. The moisture accumulation rationale only applies if you are someone who struggles with moisture and gurgle

a lot; many don't. This is something you work out with an individual pipe. The two filter pipes I own I sometimes use

to mute a really strong tobacco if I'm not in the mood for the big flavor, or if a tobacco has gotten bitey as it dries, etc.

The one adapter I've used imparted its flavor in the smoke; not good. I have mixed feelings about a really open draw;

you have to puff gently, or you get a really high proportion of air to smoke. It doesn't always do justice to a quality tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.