PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
As everyone has said already a lid seal should be perfect, but I admit I do seal my jars with wax to give extra protection. I cut out a piece of waxproof paper (or use packaging from the tobacco) into a disc, put it on top of the tobacco in a jam or marmalade jar then I pour hot beeswax over it in a layer about half an inch thick or more before applying the lid. I probably don't need to do this but I find it fun and it is easier for me than canning. You could use paraffin wax rather than beeswax if you wanted to.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I'm building a large pyramid in my back yard and bury all my cans. Figure it worked for the Pharaoh's so...

I think that anyone who attempts to use a pressure cooker to seal the tobaccos would find it impossible. They float. And, if you managed to get them all to remain upright during the violent process of pressurizing would open it to find jars full of tobacco tea. Believe me... I tried it just to see. :puffy:
Sometimes, I do heat the jars in the oven though, before filling them with tobacco. About 200F is enough to make the lids seal down with a pop pretty quickly. But it is not necessary at all. I only do this with a questionable batch of tobacco (or jars) that I fear may mold.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cracking rocks and canning anything is hard labor. If possible, don't do it.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I could before I aged.
Now I can't.
jay-roger.jpg

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Use either brand new canning jars and lids, unwashed and fresh from the box, or at least squeaky clean and dry jars and lids. Put the tobacco in. That's it.
The theory is that aerobic fermentation will take place until the oxygen in the jar is used up, then anaerobic fermentation takes over. These produce different and complementary flavors, or so I've been led to believe. I don't personally believe it would hurt to use a light vacuum to evacuate some of the air, but I now believe it isn't really necessary.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jaytex beat me to the wordplay but I'll say it anyway. We age all the time.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
With all those aerobic and anaerobic critters in there metabolizing away, I always wonder where their poop goes. Is it carcinogenic?! Safer to smoke young tobacco. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.