PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomerlm

Lurker
Jan 14, 2015
hey,

im pretty new to pipe smoking, altough I've started long ago, im not smoking very frequantly.

In my first few smokes I had trouble lighting it up, and I manage to fix the problam by learning how to better compress the tobacoo and light it with harder air sucks (pardon my language :roll:). But this made me think: can the tobacco be burnt too much? I mean if I apply extra heat to it, can it cause flavor problams and such? also does lighting the tobacco with matchs is better than lighter? what's behind that? sorry for any grammer mistakes and I hope my questions was clear!

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
There is thousands reason to s-l-o-w smoking. From more flavor and pleasure to smoking,until take care about pipes and your life.

Packing...Just don't do tight pack. Loose pack is o.k.. and use your tamper proferly.

Lighting .. Any soft flame is o.k. weather matches or big lighter... etc..

Keep in mind "Happy Smoking" as much as you can.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I prefer matches because the flame is softer and because it is somewhat more easy to direct the flame.

I don't think it affects the tobacco so much as it can cause charring of the briar or cob. Also, with a

match I feel I can light the top layer of tobacco more evenly. Maybe equal to all those reasons for using

matches is that they are traditional and provide a nice ritual, closer to pipe smokers of the past centuries,

which is one attraction of pipe smoking. The sound and feel of matches is more pleasing to me than one

more gizmo in my life. I own a lighter, and have flirted with a good buy on a Zippo, but for me, matches rule.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Smoke as slowly and as cool as possible. Greater heat generates moisture that can sear your tongue, reduce flavor, and produce unpleasant gurgling. (I hope Google translate does a decent job.)
רויך ווי סלאָולי און ווי קיל ווי מעגלעך. גרייטער היץ דזשענערייץ נעץ אַז קענען סיר דיין צונג, רעדוצירן טאַם, און פּראָדוצירן פּריקרע גערגאַלינג. (איך האף Google איבערזעצן טוט אַ לייַטיש אַרבעט.)

tomerlm

Lurker
Jan 14, 2015
Thank you all for the helpful replays :)

so how exctaly I smoke slowly? like forest7 said?

making sure I fully understood: pack loosey and light with soft flame?

Im afraid that this mathod not going to work for me because its very similar to the way I smoked before, which I couldn't succsesfuly maintain good burn and withdraw much fewer smoke.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Try using tamper when you packing and when you smoking. Hope you find sudden point.

Packing -- Bottom loose and light, Top little bit tighter but don't push down too much.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
All the advice is to pack loosely and that's what I did but I was packing too loosely. Check out this link , the two step method is the best for me but maybe not for you.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
To answer your initial question, yes, you can burn your tobacco, which does effect the flavor. Two things to consider: false light and true light/relights. Your false light should scorch the entire surface of the tobacco. I take deep draws when I start my false light. I don't worry too much about flavor, or trying to get flavor out of a false light. Once the false light is done, I let the pipe sit and cool. When I go back for the true light, I just let the flame circle-tap the tobacco for a couple of rounds. This gives me a nice, cool, even smoke. I can't give you any advice on packing; trial and error seems to be the only answer. However, the swirl method is fairly easy and has been consistent for me.
Hope it all works out for you in the end.

cutter

Lurker
Dec 10, 2014
I actually put a pipe cleaner in the pope if I'm packing tightly to keep the draft hole open as wide a possible. Works like a charm, and seems to promote a cooler, dryer smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.