Do former cigeratte smokers favour VA over anything else?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Yes... Love Escudo and PS Bullseye... Filmore... Dunhill Elizabethan and deluxe navy...But then Penzance n stonehaven... Bohemian Scandal and Ravens Wing...SG STJ FLAKE... Wait what was the question again?

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
Do you find those blends iamn8 give you that taste of a cig? I'm trying to move off the cigs. I like English and some aros but I still find myself having cigs between pipes as I miss that taste sometimes.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I do favor English blends but, am not wedded to Virginias. My Nat Sherman's MCDs do not taste like regular cigarettes as the paper is not infused with chemicals to make it burn faster and continuously. Cigarettes, for me, are for when a pipe is not convenient and I want a bit of nicotine.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
briarhillgeoff. GLP Cairo will do the trick for you in terms of giving you what you want/need. I find it very difficult to smoke a cig after a bowl of Cairo (and its delicious in its own right!).
I still smoke cigarettes when I cannot smoke a pipe (usually time constraints). I hear you on the Virginias question because I like them a lot but I also like English/Balkans, and I LOVE Kentucky leaf. Only leaf I'm still on the fence with is Perique. I find that too much of it makes me lose my sense of taste for days :).
Get a tin of Cairo!

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Put it this way- I quit smoking cigarettes a couple years ago- tapered off gradually while learning to smoke pipe. So, one day, not long ago, I start this new job but forget my pipe and tobacco that first day. I ask my foreman to bum me a smoke- much to my dismay. It was a Camel Light (irrelevant in my opinion), and it was the most foul tasting thing I ever smoked. I never knew just how terrible cigarettes could taste to me, until I discovered the wonderful sweet rich awesomeness that is pure Virginia (flake) pipe tobacco.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke only VA Vaper and Vabur flakes and still smoke cigarettes when not smoking a pipe. I have quit cigs for a number of years at times and am trying to quit again.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
Ya, I find for me its about timing. On days off, it's easy for me to take the time, pack a pipe and relax throughout the day. I'll put that Cairo on my list. I've tried Modern Virginia from MacB and found it not too bad a choice.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I'm on an English kick but I did detect some fleeting cig notes with a few of the VA's I've smoked.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Now that I think about it, the best blend for cig smokers is probably GL Pease's Cumberland. This stuff is seriously good, and doesn't get the attention that Haddo's and Cairo get.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Smoked ciggies for 16 years and quit before I started the pipe. I've liked all English blends I've tried but I've only found a couple that I love. Now Virginia and VaPers I either love or hate but in the main I love them. I generally dislike aromatics and burley blends so I now no longer bother buying and trying new ones

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Brian, to me the most difficult thing about leaving cigs is the physical action. For cigs I only bought American Spirits which is quite a bit different than other brands. I've been experimenting about as widely as I can with various blends. I don't work and have nothing but free time so often times smoking is all I do in a given day. Thus far, had I the wherewithal, I'd smoke Penzance and Stonehaven pretty much exclusively, but alas it's not an option... Although recently I've come into a stash. Beyond those tobaccos, my favorites and the best for the pipe equivalent of chain smoking, the PS Bullseye and Escudo are it. They're reasonably priced, age exceedingly well, and are easy to find. The rest seem to be a passing interest and curiosity. Those are my mainstay smoke mostly types of tobacco. Beyond all of those there the "epic" smokes that you try when the opportunity arises. VA/Per are pretty much always a very safe and smokable bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.